AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G CL (2001-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/)
-   -   SC Miss engine noise! (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/sc-miss-engine-noise-864123/)

johndo18 07-25-2012 11:58 PM

SC Miss engine noise!

For all you guys with blowers, I was driving my car the other day and was thinking about something. As much as I LOVE the superchager noise, I miss the sound of the J motor. The blower drounds out the sound. Between that and the exhaust that's all i hear. Anyone relate?

CL-Future 07-26-2012 12:06 AM

I cannot relate lol. I'd rather hear the whine than VTEC. As intoxicating as VTEC is, the whine is even better imo. I played the movie I Am Legend just to hear the first part with the blown mustang a couple of times :tomato:

harvthesecond 07-26-2012 09:36 AM

Send supercharger to me and you can enjoy the n/a sounds of your j32 =D

brian6speed 07-26-2012 11:00 AM

With all my sound deadening removed I get plenty of engine and exhaust noise in the cabin. :tomato: I also get heat. After 30 min to an hour of driving(I try to never use the a/c, but lately I have been) I start sweating, especially when stopped at a light.

After the 8 hour drive to the national meet I could have probably cooked an egg on the metal floor.

I have always prefered the sound of N/A engines. I still appreciate s/c and turbo sounds tho.

Do you have the icebox? Maybe switch to a different intake cause icebox is quiet.

CL-Future 07-26-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by brian6speed (Post 13929548)
With all my sound deadening removed I get plenty of engine and exhaust noise in the cabin. :tomato: I also get heat. After 30 min to an hour of driving(I try to never use the a/c, but lately I have been) I start sweating, especially when stopped at a light.

After the 8 hour drive to the national meet I could have probably cooked an egg on the metal floor.

I have always prefered the sound of N/A engines. I still appreciate s/c and turbo sounds tho.

Do you have the icebox? Maybe switch to a different intake cause icebox is quiet.

Man, that sounds like a sauna lol. Is your only means of ventilation the sunroof now because you have fiberglass/plastic(?) windows right?

civicdrivr 07-26-2012 11:48 AM

He still has glass windows. I tried talking him into doing lexan at the Nat'l meet though :rofl:

NA sounds best IMO. But turbos and superchargers can really sound menacing.

brian6speed 07-26-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by CL-Future (Post 13929616)
Man, that sounds like a sauna lol. Is your only means of ventilation the sunroof now because you have fiberglass/plastic(?) windows right?

I don't use the sunroof, windows are still oem. Usually have my windows down. It does feel like a sauna tho when sitting still. My back is usually drenched when I get out, but that is in 90-100 degree temps with a/c off. Sunroof will be gone soon enough.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 13929722)
He still has glass windows. I tried talking him into doing lexan at the Nat'l meet though :rofl:

NA sounds best IMO. But turbos and superchargers can really sound menacing.

Lexan just seems like overkill for me. I like having functioning windows. With lexan you also have to worry about scratches, looks, and functionality. I still go thru drive thru's sometimes.

It would be funny to have lexan with the little slot that opens, like James May in top gear when he went thru a drive thru and the food barely fit. Maybe I should drive nude like he did also. That episode reminds me of my car. :rofl:

CL-Future 07-26-2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by brian6speed (Post 13930037)
I don't use the sunroof, windows are still oem. Usually have my windows down. It does feel like a sauna tho when sitting still. My back is usually drenched when I get out, but that is in 90-100 degree temps with a/c off. Sunroof will be gone soon enough.

Oh, well yeah, 90-100 degree temps do that to me as well with the A/C off. It's been pretty steamy in the MidWest so far this summer. Since you removed so much material, I'd think that would help keep things cool in the interior but maybe some of it was barrier related and makes it hotter lol.

I honestly can't remember what the J engine sounds like N/A during normal driving :cry:. I can kind of hear it up until about 3000rpm when boost kicks in but that's not much room to enjoy it. I remember VTEC sounded like a stable of horses stampeding the ground all of a sudden that would last gradually from 4800rpm until redlne. There's no other sound like it...

civicdrivr 07-26-2012 01:42 PM

I really miss hearing VTEC on a regular basis. :sad:

Catfisha 07-26-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 13930097)
I really miss hearing VTEC on a regular basis. :sad:

http://youtu.be/kaCUMWTOlTE

Oh dear, Civic....was your car kidnapped?! You make it sound like it's missing and/or in an irreparable state. It's making ME sad! :frown:

civicdrivr 07-26-2012 03:59 PM

:rofl: It might as well have been kidnapped. Im sure then it would be driven more :tomato:

Catfisha 07-26-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 13930531)
:rofl: It might as well have been kidnapped. Im sure then it would be driven more :tomato:

Ooooohhhh....Put your new car to bed in the garage, and drive your other "child"....