SC CL-S 6spd now at work..........

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
SC CL-S 6spd now at work..........

Well, after arriving at Sterling in Austin on Thursday morning for the install, my service guy and tech come out to see the work at hand and all the parts in the trunk. I get my loaner and I am on my merry way to CME course for the state. They promise the car will be ready that same day in the evening, I look at the them somewhat stund and tell them to take there time with the install and to have it ready for Friday evening. OH Boy!! the install looks clean and went very well with no problems and the check engine light did not lit up as stated by the tech.

Well, I had over three hour drive home, so enough time to test car. This dam charger just wakes up the engine and make a beast out of the engine at any range of the RPM. All gears just feel much stronger without having the need to upshift early. The noise is not bad at all specially when at cruising speeds where there is not frequent variants in the acceleration, but feels like a freight train when under hard acceleration. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are monster gears when pulling (but we have problems the dam stock tire, traction sucks!!) with a mild torque steer.

Overall, the car is super fast speciallly if your feather the throttle and get traction when accelerating from the hole. Going WOT will keep you up in smoke in the same spot. I will need to learn how to control myself and the right foot. BOttom line I am very satisfied with the new performance and power of the car.

I have a question, which arises due to what the tech told me. He told me that with time the oem belt tensioner may start making noise because of weakening spring and will lose some tension due to more stress/drag on the oem pullies. Has anyone one with the SC CL had problems or experienced this with the OEM belt tensioner? not the charger tensioner.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the SC club

I've got around 14K miles on mine and no problems here.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:45 PM
3-piece FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, nice to see you again.. I remember you at the meet, come back down to Houston sometime, I think we're scheduling another meet on August 13th.. check out the Houston thread for updates

Congrats
Old 07-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

I will try to make it up there if I dont have work conflicts.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

after 500 miles get the SC'er belt checked... it might need retightened.

Congrats & Enjoy.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:32 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

congrats on the new mod!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:53 PM
13.2 @ 104.76mph

welcome aboard the SC world!

now go get that beast to the track and see what it can really do.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:29 PM
ImportJunkie.net [SYTFU]

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats on the supercharger!! wow makes me wanna get one so badd

i wonder how hard would the same setup be if applied to an 5spd auto...would it pull as hard on SS?? anyone has review for an auto supercharged?
Old 07-24-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

There's actually a couple of people that have the SCAT. Uh.. Senior Steve's old car was supercharged. His new one is, too. He's the only one I remember that's an SC/AT.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

That, and that Red Rider dude that's selling his SMR SC/AT.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:05 PM

The tension pulley will start to go bad after awhile. My tensioner sarted making noise and was jumping up and down on the belt. I had it replaced after about 15k miles with the s/c'er installed.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

mine has gave out also. thank you guys for posting this problem as well. ive always wondered if it is just my bad luck or if others have this problem too.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Blown is Best

Are you guys talking about the SC tensioner pulley or the stock serpentine pulley going bad?

I read dfv3.2CL-S's question to be about the stock serpentine pulley. If you guys are talking about the SC tensioner going bad, I didn't realize so many have had problems. I remember MrSteve's but I must have missed the others.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Welcome to the SC club.. what a difference it is... Not looking forward to tomorrow when I will pick up the car back stock Congrats and drive safe.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you guys for the complements.

Regarding the belt tensioner its related to the OEM serpentine belt tensioner and not the SC kit tensioner. THe Acura tech brought up this point to me and stated that it should be good for some 20k miles before any noise begins to occur. He relates that comptech should have included one as part of the kit to make the kit somewhat more bulletproof. Its not a big thing according to the tech, but just the hassle of having to remove belts and having to pay for labor to remove the tensioner is unnecessary. It was more as a warning/heads up advise. Overall, I love how the car runs now. Its jaw dropping what the charger does to the car, that is that I only have the standard kit with no HBP and no B pipe.

BTW, How hard is it to tighten the charger belt? and Also, How do I go about doing a spark plug change on th front bank once the plugs need to be changed? Has anyone done a tune up without a problem.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Beware of leakage

Congrats Man!!!!
Glad to hear you finally got it on!! I can't wait to check it out the next time we all get together!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by dfv3.2CL-S
Thank you guys for the complements.

Regarding the belt tensioner its related to the OEM serpentine belt tensioner and not the SC kit tensioner. THe Acura tech brought up this point to me and stated that it should be good for some 20k miles before any noise begins to occur. He relates that comptech should have included one as part of the kit to make the kit somewhat more bulletproof. Its not a big thing according to the tech, but just the hassle of having to remove belts and having to pay for labor to remove the tensioner is unnecessary. It was more as a warning/heads up advise. Overall, I love how the car runs now. Its jaw dropping what the charger does to the car, that is that I only have the standard kit with no HBP and no B pipe.

BTW, How hard is it to tighten the charger belt? and Also, How do I go about doing a spark plug change on th front bank once the plugs need to be changed? Has anyone done a tune up without a problem.
I'm not sure if I follow what your Acura Tech is referring to. The SC kit does nothing with the dynamics of the serpentine belt or tensioner that I know of.

Tightening the SC belt is pretty easy mechanically. You have to tighten it enough that it doesn't slip but not too much that you place undue stress on the bearings or tensioner.

To change the front bank of plugs, you just have to lift out the blower unit which really isn't that difficult also. You shouldn't need to worry about that for quite a while since you're now running iridium plugs and you're only running standard boost like me. To get the blower out, you just remove the belt and off the top of my head, I think there are around 6 bolts you remove to get the blower off.

When you get to that point, there are plenty of people that will help you through it assuming you have basic mechanical skills.

For the time being, enjoy your new toy
Old 07-25-2005, 12:53 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allout
I'm not sure if I follow what your Acura Tech is referring to. The SC kit does nothing with the dynamics of the serpentine belt or tensioner that I know of.

Tightening the SC belt is pretty easy mechanically. You have to tighten it enough that it doesn't slip but not too much that you place undue stress on the bearings or tensioner.

To change the front bank of plugs, you just have to lift out the blower unit which really isn't that difficult also. You shouldn't need to worry about that for quite a while since you're now running iridium plugs and you're only running standard boost like me. To get the blower out, you just remove the belt and off the top of my head, I think there are around 6 bolts you remove to get the blower off.

When you get to that point, there are plenty of people that will help you through it assuming you have basic mechanical skills.

For the time being, enjoy your new toy
If you're refering to the 6 bolts that holds the shaft and blower together than no, you can't remove all 6 bolts. You'll need to keep the top 2 bolts in place so you don't break the seal (for internal oil reservoir). If the seal is broken, the unit will have to be sent back to Comptech for service. Or I think you can just order high temp oil from Comptech and re-fill it yourself.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by BlackV62K2
If you're refering to the 6 bolts that holds the shaft and blower together than no, you can't remove all 6 bolts. You'll need to keep the top 2 bolts in place so you don't break the seal (for internal oil reservoir). If the seal is broken, the unit will have to be sent back to Comptech for service. Or I think you can just order high temp oil from Comptech and re-fill it yourself.
Not referring to the 6 allen bolts. Leave those alone and remove the blower as a unit with bracket. The 6 i'm referring to are:
1 - support bracket attached to tranny
3 - attaching blower bracket to head
2 - attach nose of blower to revised alternator bracket.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:24 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on your SC'd CL-S 6spd and enjoy!!!

I've got over 30k miles and no problems here either. However, early on I had a mis-fire issue related to the ESM connection to the ECU. CompTech fixed this by soldering the connections to the ECU, instead of using the supplied terminal splices. I believe the newer kits have solder lugs. But you may want to ask your tech about this. In addition, the tech (dealer installation) didn't align the SC pulley correctly which caused the SC belt to wear on the outside groves/ridges after only a few thousand miles.

Regarding the SC belt tension; as per CompTech (Shad) here's how tension should be checked; twist belt to check tightness, more than a 90 degree twist is too loose and less than a 45 degree twist is too tight.