Rotor choices.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Likes it dirty

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Rotor choices.

I already used the search button, and it did give me some info but i am looking for a little more.

I am on a budget (Army doesn't pay well) and i need to replace my warped rotors.

1st question) is slotted and/or cross drilled really worth it for daily driving or will the Rotora/Brembo OEM replacements suffice?

2nd) Im very weary of "cheap" things, are ebay/discount brands like rotorpros, irotors or brakemotive (im not knocking a sponsor just curious). Are any of these brands worth it in the long run? or does the discounted price add up in the end?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,458 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Ive had my RacingBrake slotted rotors on for about 2 weeks (or about 1800 miles) and I love them. Im also running Hawk ceramic pads. The total for all this was $395. Not cheap, but so far so good.

I dont mess with drilled rotors. Ive heard from many people that have had them that they tend to warp quicker, despite the manufacturers claims. They look nice though. I stick to either slotted or blanks.

I almost picked up the Brembos, but decided to get everything from Marcus (heeltoe).

Now if you really are trying not to spend alot, rotors from Autozone are $50(front) or $55(rear) each and have a 2 year warranty. Just get some nice pads, NOT the Autozone pads. They crumble (seriously, my friend had them and they literally crumbled in his hands a week after the install).

Ive ran Autozone rotors on 2 of my 4 cars (one being the CL, the other has a BBK), with absolutely no issues. A few of my friends use the Autozone blanks on their track cars as well, with no issues.

And thankyou for serving our country, even though I may not agree with the what this country is doing, I always support the troops.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Look into EBC, I think I paid 179 for a front set. I've never warped a set and I'm very hard on brakes. They are made with good quality steal.

I think but not 100% sure the part number is GD7087
Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 AM
5abi dee CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't compromise on Brakes..I would stay away from quite a few Ebay brands unless someone has personal experience..I hv used EBC's and Rotoras slotted & drilled but switched to slotted only now with Carbon ceramic pads.
Autozone Rotors might be a good choice or Brembo blanks..
Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Likes it dirty

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Ive had my RacingBrake slotted rotors on for about 2 weeks (or about 1800 miles) and I love them. Im also running Hawk ceramic pads. The total for all this was $395. Not cheap, but so far so good.

I dont mess with drilled rotors. Ive heard from many people that have had them that they tend to warp quicker, despite the manufacturers claims. They look nice though. I stick to either slotted or blanks.

I almost picked up the Brembos, but decided to get everything from Marcus (heeltoe).

Now if you really are trying not to spend alot, rotors from Autozone are $50(front) or $55(rear) each and have a 2 year warranty. Just get some nice pads, NOT the Autozone pads. They crumble (seriously, my friend had them and they literally crumbled in his hands a week after the install).

Ive ran Autozone rotors on 2 of my 4 cars (one being the CL, the other has a BBK), with absolutely no issues. A few of my friends use the Autozone blanks on their track cars as well, with no issues.

And thankyou for serving our country, even though I may not agree with the what this country is doing, I always support the troops.
Racingbrakes from Heeltoe were the first set i looked at but deemed to expensive for now. However the autozone blanks had not crossed my mind, That would knock out shipping cost as well and be affordable.

Thanks for the advice and support
Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Look into EBC, I think I paid 179 for a front set. I've never warped a set and I'm very hard on brakes. They are made with good quality steal.

I think but not 100% sure the part number is GD7087
Thanks,I keep hearing nothing but praise for EBC's, Do you happen to remember where you got them? $179 would be do able if shipping isn't to bad

Originally Posted by daanan
Don't compromise on Brakes..I would stay away from quite a few Ebay brands unless someone has personal experience..I hv used EBC's and Rotoras slotted & drilled but switched to slotted only now with Carbon ceramic pads.
Autozone Rotors might be a good choice or Brembo blanks..
The Ebay brands keep popping up here and everyone loves them at first but i haven't heard a single long term review.

as far as pads i have no doubt that i am going w/ EBC green or redstuffs
thanks for the input!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:19 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get Brembo Blanks for $80 each at rockauto.com
Old 05-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here you go, $188.00 w/ free shipping.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/produc...LookupType=YMM

You can probably get the pads there also. I got the Yellows and love them, dust is very low and bite and fade are very good.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Likes it dirty

Here you go, $188.00 w/ free shipping.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/produc...LookupType=YMM

You can probably get the pads there also. I got the Yellows and love them, dust is very low and bite and fade are very good.
Thats a pretty good deal

Also found them on Ebay new (here)

$119 seems like a hell of a deal am i probably looking at fakes?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ricepuddin
Thats a pretty good deal

Also found them on Ebay new (here)

$119 seems like a hell of a deal am i probably looking at fakes?
Did you buy them? I noticed they ended. He his legit, I called EBC in the UK and asked. That is actually where I got mine from. I got my pads from Streetsideauto.com. I just forgot about it. When I got them I talked to EBC and confirmed they were real. They just started casting them in Japan for our application. When you get them they should say made in Japan.

With the right pads they will emergency stop you from a 100 MPH with no fade, or warping at all.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Likes it dirty

Did you buy them? I noticed they ended. He his legit, I called EBC in the UK and asked. That is actually where I got mine from. I got my pads from Streetsideauto.com. I just forgot about it. When I got them I talked to EBC and confirmed they were real. They just started casting them in Japan for our application. When you get them they should say made in Japan.

With the right pads they will emergency stop you from a 100 MPH with no fade, or warping at all.

No. the tab came up orginaly, then when i logged back on i noticed it wasn't thier. Im going to off the site you posted unless i find a better deal before the 15th.

Thank you for the extra info though, im hopping he getts them back in before i buy.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Avoid Rotora's at all cost. Had to have them turned 3 times within a very limited amount of time. Cyro's (powerslot) were a bit better, but did not live up to their hype. Currently running DBA's and couldn't be happier.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just sent out a set of Brembo blanks for cryogenic (slow gradual freeze for 72 hours at -320F) and triple heat treatment (300F). going to be using greenstuff pads with them. the guy who does the cryo said the rotors on his truck have 210,000km on them and went through 4 sets of pads with no warpage and little wear. Hope it works.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Likes it dirty

Originally Posted by belcom
I just sent out a set of Brembo blanks for cryogenic (slow gradual freeze for 72 hours at -320F) and triple heat treatment (300F). going to be using greenstuff pads with them. the guy who does the cryo said the rotors on his truck have 210,000km on them and went through 4 sets of pads with no warpage and little wear. Hope it works.
Im curious to hear how that works out for you. Let me know (or all of AZ)
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

I'm crossing my fingers on this one. Really tired of changing the damn rotors on this car.

If someone here from GTA wants to try this... I'm using these guys http://www.cryo-ice.net/ They're located near Hamilton and there's lots of interesting info on the site as well for those who are curious. I don't know about everyone else but they had me convinced. They freeze a lot of stuff and do lots of rotors in particular but also racing engine parts and many other things.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by belcom
I'm crossing my fingers on this one. Really tired of changing the damn rotors on this car.

If someone here from GTA wants to try this... I'm using these guys http://www.cryo-ice.net/ They're located near Hamilton and there's lots of interesting info on the site as well for those who are curious. I don't know about everyone else but they had me convinced. They freeze a lot of stuff and do lots of rotors in particular but also racing engine parts and many other things.
How much are they charging for this service? Might look into doing it on my next car.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

How much are they charging for this service? Might look into doing it on my next car.
$50 CDN per rotor but generally it depends on weight of the item
Old 06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
This is pretty cool if it works. I might wait to see your results. I'm going to be getting a new brake setup this month...and i'm around hamilton all the time.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Pro

guys honestly I have tried a lot of combo of rotor/pad out there and nothing to seem a big improvement. Granted the hawk hps pads were the best, but not the bang i was looking for. So its too me about 6 months to save up to get this set up. http://www.hopupracing.com/robigbrkitac.html If you have patience, you are a good saver, and really want to step your game up in the brake department this is your best route to take.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

For everyday driving BBK are not always better. In fact BBK's will most of the time increase you stopping distance due to the increased rotating mass. I've seen countless tests prove it. The advantage of the BBK is in racing applications were brake fade can be a problem. Besides your brake master cylinder will only create so much pressure to your calipers, reguardless of weather they are stock or aftermarket.

All I did was the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and Yellow Stuff pads and Motul brake fluid, and it was a huge benifit in braking. I'd put my brakes against a BBK in a CLS in a test from 70 to zero anyday. No doubt my brakes would loose in a track type driving enviroment. I'm not saying one is better than another, they both have their benifits in different areas. But BBK's do look awsome on cars. Gotta love that part.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:06 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd) Im very weary of "cheap" things, are ebay/discount brands like rotorpros, irotors or brakemotive (im not knocking a sponsor just curious).
I believe Brakemotive is a sponsor too...

Oh well...

Even though I went with a "cheap" set of rotors.

I suggest a nice set of Rotora's.

Anf if not those...maybe the EBC Rotors.

They seem to have a good review amongst Azine Members.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Likes it dirty

Originally Posted by davepaul033
guys honestly I have tried a lot of combo of rotor/pad out there and nothing to seem a big improvement. Granted the hawk hps pads were the best, but not the bang i was looking for. So its too me about 6 months to save up to get this set up. http://www.hopupracing.com/robigbrkitac.html If you have patience, you are a good saver, and really want to step your game up in the brake department this is your best route to take.
I am good at saving, however student loans take precedence over fun stuff, such as the Ack. So for now im going to stick with OEM size, maybe in the not so distant future when im a WO1 or O1 and have all my loans payed off (and the CL is a track only car) ill look into it

Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
I believe Brakemotive is a sponsor too...
They are, and again im not trying to hurt their rep her on AZ, or say they are a sub par company. It's just been, in my experience, if something seem to good of a deal then it is. I tried researching them (long term tests) and was able to find anything that would help.

For all i know they are the greatest thing to happen to brakes since the invention of disc breaks! but with out the enough 3rd party info i just can not justify it.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Or do like I did with my friends car and about to do with mine, get a set of ksx calipers from rockauto.com buy some EBC yellowstuff, and get rotors from buybrakes.com, roughly about 5-600 bucks but my friend has had his for over 50k miles with no warpage, and he regularly tracks his car, usually a weekends worth of racing.

Strong like bull
Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Instructor

I've been looking into rotors and pads lately as well. I came across the rotorpros because of another thread on the forum. So I decided to do some research. I found a lot of people are using them. I came across a lot of evo guys have them on their cars, a lot of them that track them every week. They seem to like them, they hold up great, no warping problems. I checked out some evo forums, infinite, and sti forums. I'm not reading a lot of bad things about them.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
if you want to do drilled and slotted rotors i'd go for the R1 concept rotors on ebay along with EBC pads green or yellow i think it is... red ones are for HIGH HEAT applications IE tracking.

won't be very cheap BUT you won;t have plato rotors as I have on my cl....

When it comes time.. that's what I'm gonna shoot for
Old 11-19-2009, 02:07 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

And so I've done over 10K on the frozen Brembos and I think it works. So far I have not experienced any warping. Please keep in mind that I had changed 3 different types of cheap and semi-cheap rotors prior to this and they all warped within first 1k - 2k.

I'm using EBC Greenstuff pads however I will not use them again because of the extreme dusting. They do work very well and stop the car much better than OEM pads but I don't like having dirty wheels all the time. I tried washing my wheels a couple times but then gave up. But that is besides the point.

It's worth to freeze the front rotors only as the rears do not really warp. I would only do it to blank brand name rotors though like OEM or Brembo for example. Otherwise it maybe a waste of money. Metal used in cheap rotors is a lot softer and may warp even after cryo treatment.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:41 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

I got DBA front and EBC rear and it's like a BBK man omfg... and NO warping problems anymore WOO HOO

NOTE the EBC rotors I have on the rear have slots that go all the way to the edge of the rotor which tosses brake dust behind the front of the wheel... GREAT design.

check em out

don't mind my shitty winter rims lol

DBA

EBC

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 11-19-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Not 4 Wheelin Anymore!

StopTech makes slotted, drilled, and drilled and slotted rotors for our cars. I wonder if anyone has tried them...
Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

umm aren't those reallll expensive tho?

I got the dba's for 340 and ebc for 225, and pads 180... and i couldn't ask for more stopping power.

CANADIAN FUNDS^^^^ remember in canada we get raped cause of the frigging border fees. fuckers lol

and yes I had cheapo rotors b4, they warpped... i got them re-grinded/trued and it was 5xs WORSE somehow..

so i said fuck it.. bought the best she I could from JRPonline, who is right down the street and haven't had to think and my pads/rotors again, and won't for some time.

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 11-19-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Not 4 Wheelin Anymore!

Stop tech slotted are like 80 a peice and drilled are 100 each. Probably what I'll go with when the time comes. Maybe just drilled as most high performance and supercars go that route, there must be some reason for it...
Old 11-19-2009, 10:30 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

not tru bro.. slotted is technically how most BBK company go. When u drill there is less metal and less mass to take the heat, that leads to warping easier.

given the drilled cool faster, that doesn't mean they are better when extremely hot.
See whaat i'm getting at, it's a give and take.

lol which is why I went with both... fuck it, it's way better than oem either way and it looks cool.

But IMHO DBA rotors are amazingly built.

go to their website and see how they are designed with their patented cooling vanes. It's quite a quick and interesting vid.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
edit

Last edited by Jacobpockros; 11-20-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I already used the search button, and it did give me some info but i am looking for a little more.

I am on a budget (Army doesn't pay well) and i need to replace my warped rotors.

1st question) is slotted and/or cross drilled really worth it for daily driving or will the Rotora/Brembo OEM replacements suffice?

2nd) Im very weary of "cheap" things, are ebay/discount brands like rotorpros, irotors or brakemotive (im not knocking a sponsor just curious). Are any of these brands worth it in the long run? or does the discounted price add up in the end?

Thanks in advance

I have iRotors on my car, and i had them on my previous car. They brake very well and never warp. Someone on here also had a set of iRotors, and they lasted 80,000 miles!
Old 11-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a helpful thread. In the spring I'm gonna go with EBC slotted fronts an rears. Think I'll skip the green stuff pads, though, due to
the excessive dusting I keep hearing about.