Review: Installed Only Rear Comptech Anti-Sway bars..!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 06:41 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Review: Installed Only Rear Comptech Anti-Sway bars..!!!

For now we Installed Only the Rear Comptech Anti-Sway bar..!!!

Wife and I started around 2hrs before sunset and we decided to call it off for tonight after we succeeded in Installing the rear sways.

As everyone should know, the end link nuts are extreemly tough to take out.... A lot of anti rust fuid helped a lot. But still they are very tough to get them lose.

Once removed, the installation was a breeze. took maybe 10 mins. The end link are self-tightnening so super easy to do......

A quick test drive revealed that the wife was astonished and she did not get sick while taking high speed 270 degrees exit ramps Silence, and nice grin on her face.... In addition, Changing lanes at 80 MPH was like nothing and no body roll or any other floating feels.

I did not push it too much sisnce I did not install the front Comptech bar. I guess it will get better once we do finish the installation tomorrow morning.

I got a sweet kiss when I asked "did you like them?"

Note: What is the result of driving with only Comptech Anit-Sway bars, more understeer or a possiblity in getting into an oversteer condition?

Old 10-19-2001, 06:51 PM
Buckle Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soudns awesome!

Nashua_Night_Hawk sounds awesome!!!!! Keep us updated.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Cool, can't wait till mines comes in on Monday...can't wait...
Old 10-20-2001, 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Rear sways installed

Nashua_Night_Hawk,
I have both the sways installed, and the Comptech springs. If you plan on doing any 'extensive' driving (AutoX, or High speed driving schools on road courses) I recommend your current set up (possibly even playing with the removal of the front sways??). The Comptech rears are significantly stiffer than the factory, and if I recall correctly the fronts are a little less stiff than the factory fronts (Comptech had posted increased stiffness of the rear to be over 100%, while the fronts where less than 100% which I am interpreting as rear stiffer than stock by a significant margin, and the fronts less stiffer than stock). I think this is to offset the significant understeer that would result if both the front and the rear sway bars where stiffer than stock.

I think Comptechs intentions with the sway bar kit was to increase by a slight margin the CL's to an Oversteer setup. I am taking a shot in the dark with this, but I am assuming with the front sway completely removed you would get significant oversteer (I am assuming in certain situations this is desirable).

PS Glad the hear the wife liked it The front shouldn't be that hard to install, and it is possible to remove the the sways without removing the Header J pipe (Y pipe??), you just have to wiggle it around a little.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:45 AM
Pro

Re: Rear sways installed

Originally posted by JSuppi
The Comptech rears are significantly stiffer than the factory, and if I recall correctly the fronts are a little less stiff than the factory fronts (Comptech had posted increased stiffness of the rear to be over 100%, while the fronts where less than 100% which I am interpreting as rear stiffer than stock by a significant margin, and the fronts less stiffer than stock). I think this is to offset the significant understeer that would result if both the front and the rear sway bars where stiffer than stock.
I was under the impression that the greater than 100% stiffness for the rear sway applies to the CL-P, whereas the CL-S, the stiffness was around 65% for the rear?
Old 10-20-2001, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Hmm..

FDAO,
You might be right, but from what I have experienced driving wise the rear seems to be a lot stiffer than stock. I don't remmember where I got the information, but if Mike still checks the board maybe he can put his .02$ in
Old 10-20-2001, 09:02 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Review-II: Both sway bars are in!

Last night we went for fun drive to Boston with only the rear comptech sway bar installed. The drive was smooth till we hit boston roads. Once in boston and driving on the crapy roads as if we are doing off road rally.... I started to hear a "clunk clunk" sound from the front. I immediately pull over and we did a quick look. ...

We figured out that it's the lose front right end-link nut that we started to pull out and we did not tightened to specs.

Today, around 1:00 PM, we put back the CL-S on ramps and started the front sway installation. As suspected the front right end-link nut was lose. So, we proceeded to remove the end-links and it was not that hard. Once both end-link nuts were removed, then the brakets were supper easy to take out. However, removing the front bar was a bit challenging. We lacked enough clearance to take out the front bar due to the ramps.

So, we decided to flip the ramp forwards and ride on the ramps bacwards and we got enough clearance....

Sneaking the comptech bar was easy too. Puting back the brakets and then tightneing the end-link nuts was peace of cake. No problem in Torquing the braket bolts but we failed to torque the end-link nuts due to lack of clearance. I made sure that the hand torquing was enough.

Quick test drive... and no single clunk... even I was hunting for pothols and hit each to see if everything is tight...

Evrything is nice and dandy and the CL-S rides like a breeze....

Oh I wished I did the sways earlier.....

Back to driving the CL-S....