Review of the Dunlop SP5000's

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review of the Dunlop SP5000's

Like everyone here agrees, those Michelins blow! So, about 2500 miles ago, I swapped them out for the Dunlop SP5000, in 215-50R17 (OEM size). Dunlop says they're all season, and good for light snow/slush.

Here's how I'd rate them (OEM ratings in brackets)
Dry Traction: 9 (6)
Cornering: 8 (6)
Wet Traction: 9 (7)
Snow: 8 (5)
Noise: 9 (9)
Fuel Economy: 10 (10)

Out of 10, I'd give them a 9. Dry traction is really good (considering they are all season). They stick really good, and cornering is pretty decent (with a little slide, but that could be partly due to the understeer).

I flew through a pond of water on an overpass one day, and after I realized what I'd done, I pretty much filled my pants! No hint of hydroplaning at all!

The tires are really good in snow (once again considering they are A/S performance tires). Pretty decent on ice, and 3" of snow isn't a problem. Slush is fine as well. I only found it to have some problems on deep slushy snow, but then, pretty much any tire has issue there.

They don't seem to be any more noisy than the Michelins.

And my fuel economy around town hasn't changed from that of the Michelins. I don't do much highway miles, so I'm not sure about that.

I highly recommend them to anyone who's looking for an A/S type performance tire.

Old 11-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Racer

What is a fair price?
Old 11-12-2002, 06:12 AM
Drifting

I've got the 235/45-17's, paid 142.00 (I think). Only a couple thousand miles on them so far. Worked very well in our first snow. I wound up putting 44 in front and 38 in rear tires before getting a good footprint, and mileage. Trip over Thanksgiving to New York should be telling. YMMV
Old 11-12-2002, 09:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Review of the Dunlop SP5000's

Originally posted by Wires
Like everyone here agrees, those Michelins blow! So, about 2500 miles ago, I swapped them out for the Dunlop SP5000, in 215-50R17 (OEM size). Dunlop says they're all season, and good for light snow/slush.

Here's how I'd rate them:
Dry Traction: 9
Cornering: 8
Wet Traction: 9
Snow: 8
Noise: 9
Fuel Economy: 10

Out of 10, I'd give them a 9. Dry traction is really good (considering they are all season). They stick really good, and cornering is pretty decent (with a little slide, but that could be partly due to the understeer).

I flew through a pond of water on an overpass one day, and after I realized what I'd done, I pretty much filled my pants! No hint of hydroplaning at all!

The tires are really good in snow (once again considering they are A/S performance tires). Pretty decent on ice, and 3" of snow isn't a problem. Slush is fine as well. I only found it to have some problems on deep slushy snow, but then, pretty much any tire has issue there.

They don't seem to be any more noisy than the Michelins.

And my fuel economy around town hasn't changed from that of the Michelins. I don't do much highway miles, so I'm not sure about that.

I highly recommend them to anyone who's looking for an A/S type performance tire.

Now tell us how would you rate the stock tires on the above rating.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:47 AM
Instructor

I have SP5000s on my car right now for winter (yes, I have to edit my sig sometime) and I agree they are pretty good in the snow for being all-seasons. Overall, I'm very happy with them! HUGE upgrade to OEM. Do NOT go in snow with OEM, or at least lower your insurance deductible before you do.
I like the SP5000s, and am very glad I bought them.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Review of the Dunlop SP5000's

Originally posted by gavriil
Now tell us how would you rate the stock tires on the above rating.
I added it to the original post.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Racer

Excellent info. How does the Pilot A/S compare against the SP5000, besides being way more dough?
Old 11-12-2002, 07:31 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

i dont know why u gave the stock tires 9 for quietness

i think they're too noisey considering they're on a "luxury coupe" and their performance is only mediocre.

They are smooth and quiet ONLY on extremely smooth roads but not so on textured ones.... ever hear how loud of a THUMP they make just by going over those little reflectors on the road??

But if the dunlop are about as quiet as the stock ones then i'll definetly look into em when my time comes
Old 11-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Johnny Rad
Excellent info. How does the Pilot A/S compare against the SP5000, besides being way more dough?
Different technology, different approaches. If you look on TireRack you can toss out some more $$$ for the Pilot A/S with the current highest rating in ultra high performance all-season tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/uhpas.jsp

However, in dry conditions, the Dunlop tested better:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...port_as_rd.jsp

The Michelins have different tire compounds and tread construction across the tire's face to suit the conditions (see link):

http://michelinman.com/promo/tireforallseasons.html

"Michelin went about their task by making the Pilot Sport A/S a three-compound tire. The center rib is high in silica, which aids wet-weather handling and traction. Each side of the center rib comprises a softer compound for cold weather driving, and the tire's shoulders are rich in a soft, carbon black compound that gives ultimate dry performance..."

The Dunlop 5000 (depending on size) has some pretty aggressive siping and water channeling and use "different" technology.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0+Asymmetrical

You can go to TireRack's website and look over all of the customer comments. Tire Rack seems to be "confused" over which size has which tread design (a factor in snow).

"The 55-series and lower profile sizes (except 215/50VR17 and 245/50WR17) feature an innovative asymmetric tread design in order to help blend year-round traction and performance..."

AND

"The 55-series and lower profile sizes feature an innovative asymmetric tread design in order to help blend year-round traction and performance"

Customer Reviews (always go here and look over a bunch of them):

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ommentStatus=P
Old 11-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by shaHn78

i think they're too noisey considering they're on a "luxury coupe" and their performance is only mediocre.

They are smooth and quiet ONLY on extremely smooth roads but not so on textured ones.... ever hear how loud of a THUMP they make just by going over those little reflectors on the road??

But if the dunlop are about as quiet as the stock ones then i'll definetly look into em when my time comes

The weird squeal they made on "bots dots" drove me crazy. Other types of reflectors caused the same noise (something about the compound and the plastic/ceramic (?))

On certain road surfaces, they were pretty loud...

If you're looking for quiet, you might consider the Falken's (ST-115) with the micro air bubbles in the tread:

links:
http://www.falkentire.com/html/produ.../azenis115.htm
http://www.falkentire.com/html/index.htm

"Base tread rubber compound contains micro vacuum capsules that literally suck up road noise.

Micro vacuum capsules also provide high stiffness on base tread for excellent handling stability.

Attractive low profile and rounded shoulder design.

Wide circumferential grooves and unidirectional tread design help provide excellent wet-weather performance.

Sidewall and shoulder block reinforcement for long life.

Excellent endurance and durability, high heat resistance."
Old 11-12-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro

A lot of those noises aren't related to the tires, but to the fact we drive a uni-body car with no frame. The quietness comes into play on the highway where you hear them whine and such. Having bumps coupled into the cabin is caused by the suspension mounted directly to the cabin. Great design for reducing weight and parts, but it makes the ride louder (a true luxury car will have a frame).
Old 11-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

I read a lot about the Dunlops on the Audi Forums (they have been buying performance AS tires a long time). I did not like what I read.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

(a true luxury car will have a frame).

I hope you mean "subframe"
Old 11-12-2002, 10:16 PM
Pro

Originally posted by EricL
I hope you mean "subframe"
Yeh.... damn cold medication!

It's amazing how much quieter the car is when the suspension is mounted to the sub-frame, and then isolated from the body.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

first 5k miles or so i was very happy with these tires...then over a short period of time they started to get louder. i'm guessing it's cause the treadlife is getting shorter. weird though, i don't think i've put even 10k miles on them. i usually keep them at 35psi, but in less than a month they always end up under 30psi. so i tried 45psi, and in about the same amount of time, it looks around 30psi (haven't checked them yet, they do "look" that way though). i had the same suspension setup with my toyo proxes t1-s (comptech springs, stock shocks, no alignment). my toyo's lasted 20k miles no problems...they were even quiet when the tires were completely bald. i'd expect an all-season dunlop (same make as toyo) tire to have at least the same, if not greater, tread life as a high performance tire. as of right now i'm looking into an inexpensive replacement, just to be safe. anyone have any comments/solutions?
Old 11-14-2002, 07:39 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by SpeedyRonin
first 5k miles or so i was very happy with these tires...then over a short period of time they started to get louder. i'm guessing it's cause the treadlife is getting shorter. weird though, i don't think i've put even 10k miles on them. i usually keep them at 35psi, but in less than a month they always end up under 30psi. so i tried 45psi, and in about the same amount of time, it looks around 30psi (haven't checked them yet, they do "look" that way though). i had the same suspension setup with my toyo proxes t1-s (comptech springs, stock shocks, no alignment). my toyo's lasted 20k miles no problems...they were even quiet when the tires were completely bald. i'd expect an all-season dunlop (same make as toyo) tire to have at least the same, if not greater, tread life as a high performance tire. as of right now i'm looking into an inexpensive replacement, just to be safe. anyone have any comments/solutions?
inexpensive replacement ....
HTR+
http://www.sumitomotire.com/models.asp
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/sumi_htr_plus.jsp
or
http://www.kumhousa.com/

Maybe BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:46 AM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

A lot of those noises aren't related to the tires, but to the fact we drive a uni-body car with no frame. The quietness comes into play on the highway where you hear them whine and such. Having bumps coupled into the cabin is caused by the suspension mounted directly to the cabin. Great design for reducing weight and parts, but it makes the ride louder (a true luxury car will have a frame).
yea i knew the loud thump arent all due to the tires and the suspension has alot to do with it... but even so, the tires are very loud on most roads and nearly every imperfection can be felt and/or heard.

ps - thanks EricL for those recommendation.. i'll look into em
Old 11-14-2002, 05:43 PM
Pro

yea i knew the loud thump arent all due to the tires and the suspension has alot to do with it... but even so, the tires are very loud on most roads and nearly every imperfection can be felt and/or heard.

ps - thanks EricL for those recommendation.. i'll look into em
The problem is if you really want to improve that type of noise, then you need tires with more "cush". Tires like that blow when it comes to performance.

I'd doubt you'll find a tire that's perfectly quiet over uneven pavement, and still make the car handle. I know the Goodyear Gatorbacks on our Mustang were awesome summer tires, but the noise on the interstate cement was brutal!
Old 11-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I now have 16000 miles on my tires they are great in snow and dry pavment i paid $175.00 per tire installed