Report of a NEW Accura tranny coming next month!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002 | 02:12 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Report of a NEW Accura tranny coming next month!

Maybe true maybe not...

Here is the info:
New tranny info from Acura
I talked with my service manager today at my dealership, who is also a close personal friend. He said in October, Acura service had a meeting about the new manufacturers for the trannys. They were supposed to have 2 new ones ready to launch January 1st. I guess it came down the line the other day that it was dropped to just one. He said the new guys making the trannys are much better than the last guys and should be able to keep up with the demand of the replacement trannys. So i know you guys have talked about the fact Acura hasnt fixed the problem yet, and that some of you have swapped the tranny 2, 3, or even 4 times, but your getting the same tranny! The guys that have the failures after january will be the lucky ones, as they will get the new stock in their TL's and CL's. I consider my guy a very reliable source, and have no doubt from a logical point of view that Acura will be swapping tranny plants in January. Hopefully you new TL and CL owners out there will be able to last until then...

-Shear
Source: http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=50231
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:17 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Re: Report of a NEW Accura tranny coming next month!

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Maybe true maybe not...

Here is the info:

Damn it nashua. I just got rid of my cls b/c of the tranny issues. I wish I would have known they were changing companys. I kinda miss my baby, oh well I guess this is good news for everyone else.
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:17 PM
Banned

well, if its true, thats cool as hell...and i hope my tranny dies next year sometime!!
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:19 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I smell a RECALL on the tranny!...
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:21 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I hope this is true, because my salesman and other resources share the nightmare Acura is facing with this issue. My heart tells me that Acura is addressing the problem and I hope my tranny fails so I can get the suspected newly designed ones. I'm hitting 56, 000 miles........................
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:22 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

nice, hope it pans out.
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:30 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

And Today... I got the Tranny Warranty Extension Letter...
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:33 PM
I hate the Mets

Hmmmm

Well, looks like Ill have to come up w/ a way to speed along my tranny failure.....j/k
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:40 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

didn't anyone notice that the tranny's are the only thing in our cars built in japan? doesn't anyone find that ironic?
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

any one know how to break out trannie?

brake torque at every stop light??? hehe j/k

but good news =)
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:42 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

just neutral drop it...... rev it to about 3k and drop it D
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Geez, who would've believed that there was people at accordv6.com that thought the tranny was normal.

Any news if Accords get the same treatment?
Old 12-12-2002 | 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll believe it when I stop hearing about people going for multiple replacement trannies.

Remember, the same folks – at Acura -- have reported that they have been sending out "fixed" transmissions.

I was wondering when someone would come up with the "we got" new “guys” making the transmissions?

Little guys?
Big guys?
Aliens?
Guys with a third eye?
A company with guys who don’t submit trouble reports using crayons?

Sorry, I'd like to believe that the problem is going to be fixed, but after the 10th raise-my-hope story, I'll be waiting on concrete details.

I'd like to know what happens to the "old remanufactured" casings and parts?

Do they go into the blast furnace?
Go on display at the Museum of Unnatural History?
Go into the "new-remanufactured" transmissions?

IMO, I'd hold off on tossing the tranny into reverse on the freeway for a while...
Old 12-12-2002 | 03:48 PM
Old timer

Heh, I would be happy if this is true because my trans is about shot. I just pray it doesn't go out before I can get it to the dealer to have it replaced and now I'm hoping to hold off until well into January for that replacement to be sure to get a "new" one.
Old 12-12-2002 | 03:54 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

so now we have to wait until our trannies blow up.

I don't see why Acura won't take a proactive approach and just replace all the trannies. I don't want to have this type of hassle, especially if I'm on a long road trip (I make frequent trips between NYC and Pittsburgh).
Old 12-12-2002 | 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

if the new tranny guys are reading this ~

could i plz request lower gearing and a built torq converter
Old 12-12-2002 | 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

What ever i got from Acura it works because my new tranny is better than before. And Faster . My dealer told me they are using MDX technology. He might be B.S. but it is shifting very smooth and pulling really hard. If the car stays like this i will keep my CL

i think the car will pull a 14.4 now in this cool weather
Old 12-12-2002 | 04:55 PM
whoXwanXsum

i will now drive the FUCK out of my car! thanks for the info!!!
Old 12-12-2002 | 04:59 PM
Not a Registered User

i guess that's kinda good news...i don't get it though...they are switching to a company/factory/watever that will be able to produce more trannies to keep up with the demand for the broken ones?....all the money they must've spent making new trannies they prolly could've just recalled all the 2001-2002 CL-S' (or maybe not)...that's prolly why Acura acts like a b!tch when it comes to warranty work...???...
Old 12-12-2002 | 05:04 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I'll believe it when I see it...
Old 12-12-2002 | 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Pure assumtion...

I wouldn't get my hopes up, I guess without one of us breaking down the transmission and actually figuring what is breaking on them (is it because of shoddy workmanship, or because of a design flaw?? I doubt it's crappy workmanship).

Changing the manufacturer/plant of the transmission will not fix the problem if it is a design flaw (which I am hearing more and more is being the case), so switching the manufacturer may not do jack shit for us. Now if they redesign the transmission, that may be a different story.
Old 12-12-2002 | 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Fabvsix
I hope this is true, because my salesman and other resources share the nightmare Acura is facing with this issue. My heart tells me that Acura is addressing the problem and I hope my tranny fails so I can get the suspected newly designed ones. I'm hitting 56, 000 miles........................
i beat you....65K...but it is my 2nd tranny...
Old 12-12-2002 | 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Good, because my second tranny is already on its way out!

-Ash
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nitrotiger
What ever i got from Acura it works because my new tranny is better than before. And Faster . My dealer told me they are using MDX technology. He might be B.S. but it is shifting very smooth and pulling really hard. If the car stays like this i will keep my CL

i think the car will pull a 14.4 now in this cool weather

Hmmm.... I must have one of the CLS versions with MDX technology since it's fast...

I will add the "MDX technology" to the "Acura Transmission Myths and Stories" book (out soon)!!!!

Coming soon: “Acura Transmission Myths and Stories” $105.99 1223 pages

Reviews:

“Hey, I thought I had heard all of the whoppers around. I laughed all night long. Especially liked the Jack builds a better transmission story. Highly recommended reading”

“Even my four-year-old laughed”

Customers who bought this book also bought:

Grim’s Fairy Tales
Christine
Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds
The Hitchhiker’s handbook
Starting a Class Action Suit
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:23 PM
Race Director

Re: Report of a NEW Accura tranny coming next month!

Maybe true maybe not...

Here is the info:

Good info to know. About a 50/50 chance; I think we'll all believe it when we see it but at least is shows that Acura is doing something about this.
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:25 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: Report of a NEW Accura tranny coming next month!

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS
Damn it nashua. I just got rid of my cls b/c of the tranny issues. I wish I would have known they were changing companys. I kinda miss my baby, oh well I guess this is good news for everyone else.
You got rid of your car because you didn't trust Acura. We all got the same car and tranny as you do, we keep our because we trust Acura (I know some won't admit this). Looks like Acura won't let down those of us who stayed with them. Since I trust Acura, I will go back for 4 trannies if I have to.
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:30 PM
Race Director

I smell a RECALL on the tranny!...
Unless there is a safety issue, you can't have a recall. Companies don't issue recalls just because they screwed up...unless it turns out to be dangerous for you.

Based on that I think we've seen the first step which is to keep us afloat with an extended warranty, and we they get a new tranny, perhaps change the length to lifetime and roll in the new parts.

If there is a recall, a safety issue has already been identified and the recall is about to be issues. The Government doesn't cut deals with companies on recalls based on how many parts a company has in stock, when they will get a new design in place, or when their financial books start to look better.

I say again, if there is a safety defect with our tranny, a recall is going to be issued whether a new tranny vendor is online or not and it was already in the works. A recall has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:35 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by chikai
so now we have to wait until our trannies blow up.

I don't see why Acura won't take a proactive approach and just replace all the trannies. I don't want to have this type of hassle, especially if I'm on a long road trip (I make frequent trips between NYC and Pittsburgh).
Acura will not proactively fix all the trannies because there are way more people happy with their current trannies than people who are unhappy with theirs. Unless these trannies are doomed to fail eventually, all of them, what kind of business sense does that make to just replace everything in the world? My friend with a brand new tranny (5k miles) says if he gets a recall, he will go down a get a new tranny regardless.

For what I have been hearing, trannies go out slowly; not overnight. Everybody, including me, can tell if there tranny is about to go (mine is about to go). If you begain a road trip within the lower 48, you should be able to come home with the same tranny. If you know your trannies is about to go when you first start out on the trip, it is then that you might not return with the same tranny.
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:41 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by dbox
i will now drive the FUCK out of my car! thanks for the info!!!
I don't think you guys have to purposely break your tranny. I think whoever needs one will get one. Surely whoever "deserves" one will get one, but since it will be under warranty, as soon as the needy are taken care of, I don't see where it would be a problem getting your replaced.

That is unless you drive up and demand the new parts just in from Malaysia and you come in with photocopies of newgroup gripes and you talk about how Acura almost killed you last week and you threaten multi-million dollar class action lawsuits and you've had numerous run ins with the service manager in the past over the proper amount of air in your tires, bllue windshield washer fluid mixes, and front license plate bumper scratches, etc.

I wouldn't purposely damage my car...you might get stuck with it. Acura dealerships aren't stupid...the [failed] Acura tranny is not the beginnings of a new concept called "destroy my car under warranty so I can get new parts" this [fraud] has been done before. Be careful.
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:46 PM
Broke youngster :(

Originally posted by Zapata
just neutral drop it...... rev it to about 3k and drop it D
I think Ill do that, cuz I want a new fixed tranny

I would demand nothing less than the new one. nuff said.

and for a loaner, ill have a nice TL, in silver
Old 12-12-2002 | 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hahaha...pretty should there will be a thread "how can I break my tranny so I can get an improved version tranny replaced" hahaha..

I personally like to request a 6 speed put in instead of another automatic..hehhehe
Old 12-12-2002 | 08:30 PM
I hate the Mets

Its not like we will have to wait long to see if this is true--Someone on this board has a tranny go every other day--Give it until Jan 2nd or so ( Dealerships asre closed on the 1st)
Old 12-12-2002 | 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by randomwalk101
Hahaha...pretty should there will be a thread "how can I break my tranny so I can get an improved version tranny replaced" hahaha..

I personally like to request a 6 speed put in instead of another automatic..hehhehe
I don't know that the topic was named "How do I break my tranny", but the subject material has been covered many times. Just the idea of having a "fixed" 2003 CLS slushbox prompted some of this.

The best advice is to see what happens.

IMO, I find it interesting that any of the "upgraded" parts that I purchased in the past had upgraded part #s to allow the manufacturer to identify and track how parts and assemblies were doing in the field. I would be surprised to find that a major or significant upgrade would not be identifiable in some way