Replica Spoiler Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replica Spoiler Install Question

I'm thinking about getting a replica spoiler for the CL from spoilerdepot.com. I'm sure that i will not be able to install my self and i am wondering what type of shop will be able to do it for me. Body Shop, Performance Shop, Acura Dealer. So i called the Acura dealer to start they qouted me 125 for the install, not sure if good or bad, but they seemed to stress whether it was an authentic part. I didn't ask about replica;s, if they say no, will i be able to pass it off as real i have heard that the spoiler even has Acura stamped on it. Is it needed to change the trunk springs, and how much would the parts and labor for that run? Thanks

Peter
Old 06-24-2002, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I personally don't have an answer, however, I found a topic which may address some of your questions...
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...poiler+Install

Also, the genuine Acura spoiler is embossed with the Acura name, so the dealers would probably be able to tell the difference.

Plus.. not sure how much spoilerdepot.com charges... but autocarparts.com (run by the guy who runs acura-tl.com) has pretty good prices... check it out...

http://www.autocarparts.com/search/r...el=157&trim=11
Old 06-24-2002, 01:40 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to consider:
Any problems with Acura parts installed by an Acura dealer are covered under warranty. I don't know if it is worth the extra 200-300 it will cost.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Yeah i checked out autocarparts.com but the spoiler they sell is actually a little different that the OEM one. Also would anyone know where to get the trunk springs online if i do ge tthe spoiler. I remember a few websites that sell authentic acura parts for a lower price than dealer but I don't recall them at this moment thanks. And i i think the spoilerdepot spoiler should be fine since a few people have had it without any problems with paint and they say that they have a lifetime waranty on the part. Thanks
Old 06-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Take it from me. I did this route. I only saved $100 buying the knock off spolier. The spolier kit from Acura includes everything the springs, the brake light wire harness etc. The knock off one needs to be spliced into the brake light to get it to work. The springs are about $35. If I did it again, I would have saved myself the hassle, & just got the factory spoiler. It's up to you though.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/...p/mws/home.htm

http://www.ahmotor.com/product/catologe.html

If you don't see it online, give them a call. You could probably take their price + shipping to a local dealership and have them match it.

good luck
Old 06-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

I got the answer for you!

PeterY - I didn't really like the look of the spoiler for our car until a friend changed my mind. I ordered mine from spoilerdepot.com and it looks just fine. I have a black 01 cls and the spoiler i ordered took about a week to be shipped from spoiler depot to my house. They painted the spoiler perfectly and I took it to Tischer Acura Nissan to get it installed. The service guy charged me 110.00 to install it and the only thing that was different were the mounting brackets. They were a little off from the factory spoiler mounting. So the service guy had to make adjustments and my rep said they should have charged me for more labor (she is cool with me so they didn't). It took 45 minutes for install since they are going off the template for the factory spoiler and they have to make adjustments. The spoiler looks clean and NO ONE can tell the difference. THE PLUS SIDE ALSO is the spoiler from spoiler depot weighs about 15 pounds and the ACURA spoiler for the cls wieghs 45 pounds! :P

oh yeah acura doesn't warranty the aftermarket spoiler if it breaks or gets messed up, but the do warranty their labor for installing it if the bolts come undone or something on their part.

IF you have any question just PM me!