Removing Passenger Door Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
Removing Passenger Door Help

I was trying to find a DIY or some posts on removing the passenger door, but cant find anything. My weather strip on the passenger side is torn and need to replace it as it leaks water in the rain or during a car wash. I got a replacement seal at a wicked price from www.acuraoemparts.com but need help removing the door. The seal that is torn is the one that goes all the way around the door. The door looks like it just has one bolt but Im not sure it is safe to remove. Anyone have any experience on this?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:01 AM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 bolt? If you want to take the door off, you have to prepare yourself for possibly annoying realignment. But i think that if you take the door off with the hinges, then you wont have to realign it later on. You have to take the front bumper off, then the pass. side fender and then you will see the hinges to the door. 4 bolts to the body and 4 bolts to the door. Remove the ones from the body. Then there is that metal thing that stops the door from crushing you when you walk in and out. That has a pin that you take out. Last is the wiring. Disconnect that from the door. Make sure that the door is closed at the time and then once its all loose, open the door carefully and make sure it doesnt fall! Oh and it would help to have your window open so you can carry it by the frame there...
Old 05-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"1 bolt? If you want to take the door off, you have to prepare yourself for possibly annoying realignment. But i think that if you take the door off with the hinges, then you wont have to realign it later on. You have to take the front bumper off, then the pass. side fender and then you will see the hinges to the door. 4 bolts to the body and 4 bolts to the door. Remove the ones from the body. Then there is that metal thing that stops the door from crushing you when you walk in and out. That has a pin that you take out. Last is the wiring. Disconnect that from the door. Make sure that the door is closed at the time and then once its all loose, open the door carefully and make sure it doesnt fall! Oh and it would help to have your window open so you can carry it by the frame there..."

man, i certainly know i wouldn't attempt this alone, that would be my advice. You don't want to drop that bad boy paint side down, that would not be pretty.

I'd say maybe take it to a shop for this one if you can swing it, just seems like alot to do in your garage, unless you have a hooked up garage i guess.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Pro

You both make good points. I was just trying to save as much money as I could on fixing this but I think I'll quit while Im ahead. Acura told me the part would cost a little over a bill and I got it for $20 oem. I'll just bring it in and get them to do it. He said he would charge me an hour labour so about $90. Thanks for the responses!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

You should be able to replace the weather strip without removing the door.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ Yeah, make sure you cant do that first.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Zippee
You should be able to replace the weather strip without removing the door.

I had thought about this but not sure it can be done for two reasons. First, take a look at this image

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

The part I need to replace is 19. it is the strip that goes all the way around the door and is 1 piece. I don't think I can get it around where it needs to go without removing the door

the second reason why I think the door needs to be removed is because I took a look at the strip on my car and removed it where it clips in and it looks like part of the strip should fit in a groove aside from the clip and I couldn't figure out how to get it to fit.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:18 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
you sould not have to remove the door for that. the clips should pop out and the new weather stripping clips should pop in. looks like you just have to unbolt the #25 bolt to install the weatherstripping.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Door panel removal instructions are here (if you want to pull the panel):

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/2nd-gen-cl-door-panel-removal-335272/

The above link is in the info sticky at the top of the forum...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by o1s
you sould not have to remove the door for that. the clips should pop out and the new weather stripping clips should pop in. looks like you just have to unbolt the #25 bolt to install the weatherstripping.
Ya, this is what I was thinking and the only reason why I would need to remove that bold is because the weather strip is one piece. I wonder if I would do harm if I cut it along the bottom but that seems annoying and pointless. The clips pop out easy but I think the seal needs to be wedged in somehow. Im trying to find someone who's done it before I go ahead and attempt it.

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335272

Thanks for the info. I came across this, however, its the actual door that I need to get off, not the panel. That is still a nice and informative post
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by o1s
you should not have to remove the door for that. the clips should pop out and the new weather stripping clips should pop in. looks like you just have to unbolt the #25 bolt to install the weatherstripping.
Ya, this is what I was thinking and the only reason why I would need to remove that bold is because the weather strip is one piece. I wonder if I would do harm if I cut it along the bottom but that seems annoying and pointless. The clips pop out easy but I think the seal needs to be wedged in somehow. Im trying to find someone who's done it before I go ahead and attempt it.

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335272

Thanks for the info. I came across this, however, its the actual door that I need to get off, not the panel. That is still a nice and informative post
Old 05-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

When I changed the seal in my RX7 I was able to get it in place by going over the door from the outside.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Zippee
When I changed the seal in my RX7 I was able to get it in place by going over the door from the outside.
I was looking at that last night to see if Its possible. I think there is a wiring hose preventing that. Im going to check it out better after work
Old 05-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by o1s
Well I finally got around to checking this out and you are right. Its just that one bolt that you need to remove. I removed it and took the weather strip off and got the new one ready to put on and now feel like a moron because I ordered the wrong side. (I am such a cham )
Old 05-19-2007, 04:38 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
lol, might as well keep it in case you need to replace it too.