reducing weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 PM
白人看不懂

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reducing weight

wat do u all do to reduce the weight on our cars?? since they r pretty heavy. 4 now i took out the spare tire and the jack. but my sub basically put all that weight back in. i also try 2 keep a minimum of cds in the car 2. i try 2 do as much to keep it as light as i can gas price r ridiculous...and prob gonna be going up again soon
Old 06-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
reduce weight...put it on a diet.

Carbon fiber hood and trunk lid
scrap the carpet in the trunk, and everything else
take out the back seats, and the rear deck
take out the passenger seat...

You'd be getting close to having a "Cocoa" car...minus the bullet holes.

I take it you only fill up to a 1/4 tank, then when it gets down to "E" you fill it back to a 1/4 because of gas prices? errr was that what you were refering too?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
i think the music CDs are slowing you down. lose em'!!!

other ideas.... take out the rear seat and depending on how extreme you want to go all of the interior paneling and passenger seat.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
i think the music CDs are slowing you down. lose em'!!!

other ideas.... take out the rear seat and depending on how extreme you want to go all of the interior paneling and passenger seat.
rear seat and passenger seat mentioned above...
Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 PM
B A N N E D

well take our ur subs.. they are imho unessicary and taint the CL name wiht loud gawdy bass...
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
白人看不懂

Originally Posted by GreenMachine

I take it you only fill up to a 1/4 tank, then when it gets down to "E" you fill it back to a 1/4 because of gas prices? errr was that what you were refering too?
nah i alwayz fill it up 2 full. i alwayz use the expensive stuff just cuz i will never feed my car dirty water. takign out the seats r common, but that just kinda ruin the car. the luxury side of it.

CF hood 4 our car pretty expensive

maybe lighter wheels?
Old 06-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Gram Lights....
Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 PM
白人看不懂

Gram Lights....
hah funny thing...i was actaully looking into them liek a month ago.

white on white...maybe 2 much white
Old 06-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NO on white rims.. you're going to spend money to save money on gas.... if gas is your concern... headers + intake will help a bit a few MPG
Old 06-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that^ plus UR crank pully and coasting to redlights FTW.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does reducing your weight (via taking out seats and all this other inconvenient stuff) really improve your gas mileage THAT much?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by wakipaki
does reducing your weight (via taking out seats and all this other inconvenient stuff) really improve your gas mileage THAT much?
sure it does. I can't remember who said it, but it was like 100 lbs lighter = 1 extra hp

Just think if the car was 500 lbs lighter. instead of 29-31 on the highway, probably achieve something like 31-40 mpg
Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're worried about gas, sell the CL and buy a civic

Even with a civic the savings won't be much... maybe a few hundred a year if you drive 12K miles a year... (I've done the math here before, but I'm not going to search for the thread)...

Originally Posted by wakipaki
Not that much... maybe 2 %. Check out this link for more ways to save:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

Remove Excess Weight

Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2%. The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.
Ok, so I drive 12.5K per year, and get about 23mpg average. That means I use 543.47 gallons of gas per year... 2 percent of that is 10.86, so if I drop 100 lbs off of the CL, I'd save about $30 a year... (10 gallons at $3 a gallon)..

BUT if you remove the spare tire and jack, you're going to have to spend $75 to get a tow when you get a flat, so it's actually costing you $45 MORE a year

I can see removing a heavy tool box an other heavy items from the trunk, but I think I'll keep my spare and jack thank you... And I can see stripping the interior on a racecar, but not on a daily driver. I bought the CL because it's a lux/sports car... If I wanted to drive a racecar, I would have bought one instead.

<--- only has a sweatshirt, collapsible chair, and some ices crapers in the trunk.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
rear seat and passenger seat mentioned above...
you posted while i was typing (timestamp) just beat me to it.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
you posted while i was typing (timestamp) just beat me to it.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Well...it's kinda fast...

Originally Posted by BigLizard
sure it does. I can't remember who said it, but it was like 100 lbs lighter = 1 extra hp

Just think if the car was 500 lbs lighter. instead of 29-31 on the highway, probably achieve something like 31-40 mpg
Actually, the rule of thumb is roughly 100lbs = 10HP= 1/10th sec. in the 1/4...but yeah, drastic weight reduction can dramatically increase fuel economy. Drag and/or resistence in any form (excess weight, wind blowing towards you rather than behind you, hell...driving UP hill) will obviously decrease MPG.

Actually, depending on where the weight reduction takes place also affects the above ratio. Usually, the more weight reduced further behind or in front of your drive wheels (depending on FWD vs RWD) can improve traction, combined with the decreased mass, will result in better track times.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Lives On BOOST

Gram Lights....
are Gram Light's forged? Reliable?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigLizard

take all the glass out... windows, windshield, back glasses, rear windshield... replace them with a lightweight plexiglass, remove entire body and have a CL kit car body made with lightweight materials, (IE those fake lambo looking cars on ebay) but in my opnion buy a lighter weight car.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Drinking Beer In

You want better mileage? Keep your foot out of it!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Read Matt. 24 3-14

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

Ok, so I drive 12.5K per year, and get about 23mpg average. That means I use 543.47 gallons of gas per year... 2 percent of that is 10.86, so if I drop 100 lbs off of the CL, I'd save about $30 a year... (10 gallons at $3 a gallon)..

BUT if you remove the spare tire and jack, you're going to have to spend $75 to get a tow when you get a flat, so it's actually costing you $45 MORE a year

I can see removing a heavy tool box an other heavy items from the trunk, but I think I'll keep my spare and jack thank you... And I can see stripping the interior on a racecar, but not on a daily driver. I bought the CL because it's a lux/sports car... If I wanted to drive a racecar, I would have bought one instead.
LOLOL...i'm sorry
Old 06-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Read Matt. 24 3-14

Originally Posted by AznStylez
wat do u all do to reduce the weight on our cars?? since they r pretty heavy. 4 now i took out the spare tire and the jack. but my sub basically put all that weight back in. i also try 2 keep a minimum of cds in the car 2. i try 2 do as much to keep it as light as i can gas price r ridiculous...and prob gonna be going up again soon
I think reducing your carb/ protein intake would reduce weight in your car more than chucking the cd's but I would go with getting headers and intake, I know the intkae will help a little as long as you drive at normal speed. I wouldn't really take stuff out for weight reduction because it is kinda a luxury car and you would have to take alot of stuff out to get a noticable improvement in MPG like the others have said. I've heard filling the gas only up to 1/4 tank improves in because less gas = less weight in car.

I Learned from mythbusters that tailgaiting trucks improved MPG even from about 100 ft back, it gets better the closer you get even up to 37% but that was about 5ft off the truck which is sucicidal...so use your head and get headers
Old 06-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Well...it's kinda fast...

Originally Posted by krisdlm
are Gram Light's forged? Reliable?
Yessir, Gram Lights are either forged or semi forged, so they're definitely lightweight and strong as hell. They're basically a less expensive version of Volk wheels that we all know and love, although not as blingy. They're also manufactured by Ray's, if I'm not mistaken...please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
白人看不懂

Originally Posted by 2CLean
Yessir, Gram Lights are either forged or semi forged, so they're definitely lightweight and strong as hell. They're basically a less expensive version of Volk wheels that we all know and love, although not as blingy. They're also manufactured by Ray's, if I'm not mistaken...please correct me if I'm wrong.

ye its also by rays.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:03 PM
白人看不懂

dammit man....u just jinxed me i was on the freeway going alittle uphill. then my engine starts putting more pressure and gas onto it itself then all a sudden i felt little wobble in the back.

luckily it was right before the exit i needed to get off to. i had to call my friend to bring his jack and spare. but he came with his tiburon -_- 4 lug wheels. told him to bring his lexus IS250 but he was saying it didnt feel right, cuz he just bought it a week ago.

so i ended up borrowing a spare from some oldsmobile. it was rolling like on 15 or 16's. drove back home going 60 mph

i had a set of Falkens on. but now 3/4 have blown on me at random times.....i think ima go with Yokohama next
Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Instructor

I'm remove the decals off the rear of the car. That sound definitely be the first thing to go.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:13 AM
白人看不懂

Originally Posted by MinTS
I'm remove the decals off the rear of the car. That sound definitely be the first thing to go.

what?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Got DEP???

Ok, just get an AEM CAI.

I put one on my car and I used to get roughly 18-20 mpg with over half of the time on highway.
After I put the intake on, my mpg went up to 24-26 mpg and that was mostly non-highway but a lot of WOT (I liked the sound it made, lol).

Before my cousin hit the guard rail, I was averaging 26-27 mpg which was mostly back roads (less stop and go, but not highway cruising).

So therefore, you will greatly increase your gas mileage for a few hundred dollars.
I would suggest getting headers as well, but I don't even have them myself, so that would be stupid of me to say if they would help, but I know a lot of other people on here do have them and have chimed in already about it.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:26 PM
白人看不懂

well i was actaully planning to get Injen CAI. shouldn't be that much of difference.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Got DEP???

No, I just stated that because it's what I have and I didn't want to claim any numbers on something I don't have experience with. They should work the same.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Instructor

get another car.... if your taking c.d.s out of your car, thats nonsense, go get a hybrid.....
Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 PM
That's Racist

you want to reduce weight on our heavy boats, and have taken away your option for if you catch a flat on the road.

however, you have a sub, and don't want to lose the luxury of the vehicle by taking out the seats....

on top of that, a cf hood, which is probably one of the bigger weight savers (someone correct me if i'm wrong) isn't something you will acquire.

it sounds like you bought the wrong car dude lol.

but f'real though, the rear seats are what, something liek 60lbs. saved if u take 'em out?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
you want to reduce weight on our heavy boats, and have taken away your option for if you catch a flat on the road.

however, you have a sub, and don't want to lose the luxury of the vehicle by taking out the seats....

on top of that, a cf hood, which is probably one of the bigger weight savers (someone correct me if i'm wrong) isn't something you will acquire.

it sounds like you bought the wrong car dude lol.

but f'real though, the rear seats are what, something liek 60lbs. saved if u take 'em out?

Yea I totally agree...if you are worried so much about weight reduction go out and by yourself a 90's something civic manual and rip out the seats and interior on that. You'll get a good 35-40 mpg in that baby..ha ha.

Don't buy a luxury car if your just going to trash it.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 PM
3.2L Vtec

If you're worried about gas, sell the CL and buy a civic

Even with a civic the savings won't be much... maybe a few hundred a year if you drive 12K miles a year... (I've done the math here before, but I'm not going to search for the thread)...

Not that much... maybe 2 %. Check out this link for more ways to save:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

<--- only has a sweatshirt, collapsible chair, and some ices crapers in the trunk.
I may not have seen the initial post about this. But this makes me feel a lot better moving from a civic to a CL in the midst of gas prices increasing
Old 06-19-2007, 01:19 AM
白人看不懂

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
Don't buy a luxury car if your just going to trash it.

never said i was gonna trash it by taking out rear seats. not gonna strip a luxury car. im only asking about minimal stuff what other people have done that have somewhat worked. NOT asking to give me idea's to do to only bag on me IF i do it. (take out rear seats, CF hood, etc)

i wuld only possibly do CF hood on a CL if i had a black one.

i will stick to what some of you have said about intake and headers - gave better gas milage somewhat. exhaust wise....not sure yet. wont increase power by much but weight difference is a plus.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 AM
That's Racist

never said i was gonna trash it by taking out rear seats. not gonna strip a luxury car. im only asking about minimal stuff what other people have done that have somewhat worked. NOT asking to give me idea's to do to only bag on me IF i do it. (take out rear seats, CF hood, etc)

i wuld only possibly do CF hood on a CL if i had a black one.

i will stick to what some of you have said about intake and headers - gave better gas milage somewhat. exhaust wise....not sure yet. wont increase power by much but weight difference is a plus.
i think just the main point is that there isn't really any substantial weight savings benefits with our cars unless you go all out with it (rip out seats, trunk lining, taking out the spare like you said).

if gas prices are killing you, just stay light footed =P.

if anything intake and headers are going to lower your gas mileage dramatically cuase you're gonna be revvving it up to hear the beautiful engine sound in the upper ranges =P
Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Lives On BOOST

How do the trunk and hood weigh on our cars anyway vs. carbon fiber?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM
白人看不懂

at first i used to think anything you do performance wise would just use more gas. that is why i kept my car bone stock.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Stand Up , Stand Out

While I was doing my clear corners I found a vibration damper on the back side of the steel bumper (I think it is a vibration damper). I removed it, weight was about 10lbs, test drove it can't feel the difference but it did not hurt.