RED LINE tranny fluid help...........!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
RED LINE tranny fluid help...........!

i'm going to change my tranny fluid tomorrow morning to red line, but at the performace shop near my house, they have serveral types of it. like different temperatures or something.

which kind do i need to get? thanks
Old 01-04-2002, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would call Redline first *and* think about this

Your getting into uncharted territory -- you better call Redline first. The Honda ATF has special friction modifiers. Without knowing what is going on, you may be heading towards a no-warranty situation...
Old 01-04-2002, 06:31 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Re: I would call Redline first *and* think about this

Originally posted by EricL
Your getting into uncharted territory -- you better call Redline first. The Honda ATF has special friction modifiers. Without knowing what is going on, you may be heading towards a no-warranty situation...
hmmmm, but comptech said to use redline. i know a few people on the boards have switched to it too.

somebody who knows more info please tell me

and thanks eric for the reply
Old 01-04-2002, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: I would call Redline first *and* think about this

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon

hmmmm, but comptech said to use redline. i know a few people on the boards have switched to it too.

somebody who knows more info please tell me

and thanks eric for the reply

You are now inside an area of great interest to me… .

Question: Why not call Comptech and ask them the exact type of Redline ATF they are using (heck, they may even still be open)?

If Comptech is now saying that they ARE using the Redline ATF (for sure) *and* you know for sure that others have been using the Redline in their trannies please give me the keyword to search on.

It was my understanding that Comptech was going to handle the warranty related to the SC conversion, etc…
Old 01-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Re: Re: Re: I would call Redline first *and* think about this

Originally posted by EricL
You are now inside an area of great interest to me… .
yeah, i'm very interested too, as long as the warranty is fine. i mean , i dont see why using a different tranny fluid will hurt the car, especially the "correct" fluid
Old 01-04-2002, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: Re: I would call Redline first *and* think about this

yeah, i'm very interested too, as long as the warranty is fine. i mean , i dont see why using a different tranny fluid will hurt the car, especially the "correct" fluid

Mention this to Jens -- there is a very clear warning to not use non-Honda fluid. If you don't believe me, please check with Jens...
Old 01-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Something to consider (too slick is not a good thing)

Side note:

ATF is "funny stuff" -- it needs to lubricate the bearings, gears, pump, and other parts; it also needs to handle a ton of heat and pressure; and it also needs to be designed to allow the clutch packs to work properly.

The clutch packs are composed of friction disks and metal plates and they get smashed together under a $hitload of pressure -- if the fluid is not the right stuff, the tranny will shift like $hit and will blow up in no time
Old 01-04-2002, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't TypeR using redline oil products?
Old 01-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
Isn't TypeR using redline oil products?
His sig only includes WATER WETTER (I need to order some -- I forgot to order mine today.)
Old 01-04-2002, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you contact REDLINE, MOBIL1, AMSOIL they all will tell you NOT to use their ATF fluid, use only Honda Z1. Soooo use Honda (Acura) ATF oil ONLY. It's probably a synthetic blend anyway.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

If you really do want to switch from using Honda ATF, Dexron III is the ATF of choice and Red Line offers two choices - "D4 ATF" and "High-Temp ATF". Since the High-Temp stuff is for temps over 70 degrees, the D4 ATF is really the only choice. http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/gearoil.htm

I thought typeR was using Red Line ATF also...
Old 01-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fender4
If you contact REDLINE, MOBIL1, AMSOIL they all will tell you NOT to use their ATF fluid, use only Honda Z1. Soooo use Honda (Acura) ATF oil ONLY. It's probably a synthetic blend anyway.
Yes, thanks. (There was a previous comment from tinman, which amplifies on your comment):

"However, from everything I've read here on the board, it sounds like it's best to stick with Honda ATF since apparently it contains some special additive. The owner's manual does say you can use regular Dexron III ATF as a temporary substitute but shift quality may be affected with prolonged use.

Only Red Line's "D4 ATF" and "High Temp ATF" are Dexron III compatible and with winter approaching, the only real choice would be the "D4 ATF". I'd call them and ask to speak to one of their techs before switching since others have reported both Amsoil and Mobil reps have suggested not to use their own synthetic products in Honda/Acura automatics. Red Line will probably say the same thing..."

Link:http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hlight=Redline

I would love to hear from Comptech one day about their "reported" experimentation/use of the Redline stuff (rumor, real, b.s., whatever)
Old 01-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Hehe, just snuck in before you Eric.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
hey you guys are talking about me.......heres the deal..talk to redline you have to be cryptic...kinda like talking to tire rack...i entended to be on a blend of redline race and high temp as i live in fla...brief cold weather...this was to go along with my trans cooler...anyway...my convestaion with a redline tech was like..."warranty aside ...i only see benefits from going to redline race or high temp..." they will mix fine he also said...and went on to say i could expect firmer quicker shifts with race ...as far as warranty...how many that have had there tranny replaced ,had the dealer put there trans fluid through a gas chromatigraph????see what i mean...there not gonna test the fluid...if you were worried you could always do a flush first.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

is it pretty easy to change the fluid on your own? any tips?
Old 01-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by typeR
hey you guys are talking about me.......heres the deal..talk to redline you have to be cryptic...kinda like talking to tire rack...i entended to be on a blend of redline race and high temp as i live in fla...brief cold weather...this was to go along with my trans cooler...anyway...my convestaion with a redline tech was like..."warranty aside ...i only see benefits from going to redline race or high temp..." they will mix fine he also said...and went on to say i could expect firmer quicker shifts with race ...as far as warranty...how many that have had there tranny replaced ,had the dealer put there trans fluid through a gas chromatigraph????see what i mean...there not gonna test the fluid...if you were worried you could always do a flush first.

Sounds ok -- I'm glad you will be the "tester"/"pioneer" on this one.

Regarding the fluid detectives -- I don't think it would be a problem if the fluids look very similar. However, if there was a chance that the products had different dyes that a good dealer could notice, I would be concerned (most probably just dump the stuff, but then don't be surprised if some mini-brain decided to mix-in regular Honda ATF with the Redline oil without telling you (as in a top-off job, etc [and I know the Redline guy said they mixed, but I wonder how many tests they do with Acura trannies with mixed-up fluids]). When I ran DOT-5 silicone brake fluid (yes, I know about the issues [its more compressible]) in my Bimmer, I always had to leave Post-its taped to the windows and inside of the engine compartment. (BTW – the stuff was a little spongy; everyone said it would destroy the car’s brake system; but it worked without flushing/top-off for 10 years and was as clean as the day I put it in and none of the rubber seals ever needed replacing after that [so good luck – you might be a hero]).

If something did go wrong, you might have to change the ATF out yourself since the transmission could just "freeze" and you might not have a chance to do-it-yourself. (Sure, you could find a 3rd party joint (or yourself) to flush the stuff out and put the original back in, but what a pain in the rear.)

I think I'm going to call them and see what the issues are with the fluid.

Can you give us a report on if and when you do this?

TIA
Old 01-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Banned

Well - it's easy as long as 1) The grunt AAW person originally putting it on didn't use too high a torque setting on his impact wrench when they filled it at the factory. :-/ (see http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tranny ) When I got my tranny replaced a month or two ago, I made DAMNED sure that the tech replacing it HAND torqued the bolt on.

Of course, if you have an impact wrench with a long extension, it's a moot point. I am not fortunate enough to have that.

is it pretty easy to change the fluid on your own? any tips?