For the Record: The 3.2 Timing Belt...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy For the Record: The 3.2 Timing Belt...

...is an absolute nightmare.

I replaced the timing belt on my 2001 CL Type S. I started at noon on Sunday and by 10 PM I still wasn't done. Every single bolt was a fight from the timing covers to the motor mount to the crank pulley. It took me three hours to get the bolt out of the crank pulley. 1/2 inch impact - no. 3/4 inch impact - no. Porta-Power between the holder tool and a ratchet - no. Finally I used my oxy-acetylene torch to heat part of the washer to glowing and then used the impact. It came right out.

I replaced the belt, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and the tensioner. I skipped the seals because it is too hard to get at them.

I can't finish because I can't get the bolt back in the dipstick tube. Check my dipstick tube bolt thread. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I used to love this car....
Old 08-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by dond123
I can't finish because I can't get the bolt back in the dipstick tube. Check my dipstick tube bolt thread. Any suggestions would be helpful.

My TB belt was a breeze to replace on the CL-S6, in fact, the 'only' thing that presented itself was the PS pump making a little noise after the job was done. The noise went away after a day of use with no problems. I used the 'starter method' to break loose the crankshaft bolt and it worked like a dream with one bump attempt at the ignition.

FYI, the Helms manual states that the 'dipstick' bolt is a 6X1.0mm torqued to 8.7lbf-ft.

How hard can it be to get the bolt back in, unless it is 'stripped'? You can find a new one (#32) on the link below:

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2001...p-oil-strainer
Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

The problem is the location. I can't get my hands in there to get the bolt started.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
I too had difficulty with my crankshaft pulley bolt. at the time i was using air impact and it just didn't have the torque needed. In the end I ended up buying the holder tool, and using a breaker bar with 5 ft. steel pipe attached. damn near lifted the front end of the car.

NOW...I have an electric impact that I am pretty sure will get the job done, if not, the pipe is still nested in the side of the garage, has come through on breaking loose the radius rod bolts and shifting the rear suspension into place so that I can insert various bolts back there.

Next time I may also try using some liquid nitrogen to freeze and shrink the bolt...
Old 08-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Cruisin'

I had to use my oxy-acetylene torch. I heated the washer at the 11 o'clock position until it started to glow. Then I used my 1/2 inch impact and the bolt came right out.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question: It's been 9 years since my timing belt was replaced and the manual states every 7 years. Guess I need to break down and have it done. But in your thread, you mentioned the motor mount. Was told my motor mounts need replacing, yet I don't feel any movement unless I hit the throttle. My question is this: Is it best to replace the motor mount at same time as timing belt, water pump, etc.??? Thanks,