Rear ended this morning *PICS* 56 stay away

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Rear ended this morning *PICS* 56 stay away

I got rear ended this morning on my way to work Traffic got backed up and everybody came to a stop except the old man in the boat for a car. He hit me and forced me into the SUV. He was found at fault. And his wife wants to settle with out contacting the insurance companies. HAHAHAH yeah right.

The old guy that hit me

The Jeep that I ran into

And my poor poor car
Old 03-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Sick Spd Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That should be cheap to fix.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Nothing is CHEAP to fix...
Old 03-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Loooks like 287...you barely got an damage on the rear compared to the front good luck with it

edit not to blow the thread apart but
true meaning of rear ended
Old 03-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Man that is shitty, I am truly sorry, it always feel so unfair when you weren't at fault. Looking at the pics makes me cringe, I am glad it looks like everyone is alright, expect that broad if she really thinks that she handle this on the DL and not through the proper routes. Go and get yourself Made Whole.
Banned

Dude as bad as it looks believe it or not your lucky cause all the parts damaged are all replaceable parts so the car will still look brand new. Front bumper headlights get the 03's new hood with new grill and new trunk with new rear bumper and get the 03' exhaust your car will be looking new and better than ever with the 03' parts believe me and try to get the 03' tails if there broken. Im glad your ok but believe me the car will look better than ever if any money left over get yourself some headers and Ice-box
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn! As long as you're alright. DEFINITELY, go through insurance. You don't owe him any favors!
Old 03-05-2003, 12:17 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

ah...damn...didn't you just post your car on the Black Market? Maybe it's a sign...

Anyway, see if you can salvage those driving lights. I bet there would be a few 03 guys that would want to buy them off you. Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:20 PM
What, me drive fast?

Insurance!!!! Don't even think about not going through insurance. It won't raise your premium and it will send a message to the old guy and his land-boat that hit you!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Drifting

was that on 95? Those sound barriers look familiar to me. Anywhere near the 95/495 split?
Old 03-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Banned

you are definately going to have to pay to fix the jeep you hit...regardless of you being rearended, you are at fault for hitting the jeep....thats how insurance works....you may even have to pay the collision deductable to get your front end fixed because that is a direct result of YOU hitting the jeep, not the old dude rear ending you....good luck.....youre premium will definately go up..any time you are the "rear-ender" in this case you were....you are at fault and you have to pay. sorry dude..it sucks....but techincally you shouldnt have been that close to the jeep cherokee....one of the shitty things of being rear ended....if you hit someone in front of you....its just as bad as if you were never hit from behind at all.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:26 PM

It was on 295 south near exit 31 i think, he probably was going about 35 when he finally hit me.

And no I wasn't trying to sell it, but I might be now

Yeah good call on trying to get the '03 parts.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:27 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
ouch! that blows.

fuckin ghey... sue the old guy and get a new car.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:29 PM

oh yeah it isn't leaking any fluids that I noticed and I was able to drive the 15miles back home, it was pulling to the left and had a weird rattle coming from the trunk. But the trunk won't open, so I don't know if it is something inside or something underneath.
But I don't consider it driveable.

At least I got a free day from work for it.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jimcol711
you are definately going to have to pay to fix the jeep you hit...regardless of you being rearended, you are at fault for hitting the jeep....thats how insurance works....you may even have to pay the collision deductable to get your front end fixed because that is a direct result of YOU hitting the jeep, not the old dude rear ending you....good luck.....youre premium will definately go up..any time you are the "rear-ender" in this case you were....you are at fault and you have to pay. sorry dude..it sucks....but techincally you shouldnt have been that close to the jeep cherokee....one of the shitty things of being rear ended....if you hit someone in front of you....its just as bad as if you were never hit from behind at all.
I beg to differ....If you got hit from behind and got enough rear end damage it is safe to say that the driver was not in control of the car. By implying that just because the CL-S hit the car in front of him doesn't mean he was tailgating because they were in bumper to bumper traffic....not only that but the car was not in the drivers control when he was hit by a 2 ton car at about 30-40 MPH. Also I may add the CL-S was stopped already and in NY nobody stops 20-30 feet behind the other car or you'll be cut off all day. I really think that that would be a debatable decision if the insurance ever tried to pull one of those.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:33 PM
whoXwanXsum

i don't see how this could be true. he was hit and pushed into another car, how did he have any control over that?
Old 03-05-2003, 12:34 PM

No the cop is charging the old man with the accident and it is not considering me at fault for rear ending the jeep.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lou
I beg to differ....If you got hit from behind and got enough rear end damage it is safe to say that the driver was not in control of the car. By implying that just because the CL-S hit the car in front of him doesn't mean he was tailgating because they were in bumper to bumper traffic....not only that but the car was not in the drivers control when he was hit by a 2 ton car at about 30-40 MPH. Also I may add the CL-S was stopped already and in NY nobody stops 20-30 feet behind the other car or you'll be cut off all day. I really think that that would be a debatable decision if the insurance ever tried to pull one of those.

there is hardly any damage to the rear.....not nearly as much damage as to the front...and the front end damage is a direct result of the CL-S hitting the jeep...the insurance companies will fight over this one, the old mans insurance will not under any circumstances feel obligated to pay for the CL-S front end damage or the jeep rear end damage....what it looks like is that the CL-S driver was just rolling in traffic and didnt have his foot on the brake, not at all....because it looks like when the old man hit him, there was very little damage to the rear of his car, meaning that he sort of got a boost from the old man and his car absorbed the collision energy by moving forward...had his foot been firmly on the brake, his rear end wouldve been much worse and probably wouldnt have hit the jeep in front of him....the insurance companies go through this stuff every day, and they will present the same info i just wrote, without a doubt...CL-S driver beware, the insurance people are without a doubt going to try to pin the bill on you for your front end and the jeep...
Old 03-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dbox
i don't see how this could be true. he was hit and pushed into another car, how did he have any control over that?

apparently youve never been in an accident like this....anytime you are rear ended, its the rear-enders fault....if you are rear-ended and hit someone else, you are at fault for hitting that car...and if THAT car hits someone else, HEs at fault for that even though the whole thing started 2 cars back.....i have family in the insurance industry and this is how it goes....their are exceptions to the norm, of course, and every situation is slightly different, but the documented rule of thumb is anytime you hit someone from behind, regardless of why (i.e. you were asleep or drunk or rearended) it doesnt matter, you are at fault
Old 03-05-2003, 12:42 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

bullshit! There may not appear to be much damage to the rear end but I guarantee the metal underneath is all messed up. You won't have to pay a red cent for the jeep or your front end. Insurance will look at the pics you took and foot the deductable to the old man and his boat car.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Only thing that sucks in NJ law, is that the guy rear ended you, ( so he is liable), but then you rear ended another car. ( Your insurance is liable for that part) Your required to keep a certain distance from the car in front of you to prevent yourself from sliding into the car in front. It sucks, happened to me, so my insurance went after the guy behind me, but the guy in front went after my insurance.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Masshole

It may be "technically" his fault for rear-ending the Jeep, but his insurance company will (should) fight like hell to prove that he could not have been in any more control of his vehicle at the time...AS A RESULT OF THE PRECEDING ACTION (CAUSE)...being hit by that yacht!
Old 03-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Even in bumper to bumper traffic your still required to keep a certain distance. Easy rule of thumb, is that you should always be able to see the persons exhaust pipes easily, not going past your hood. If the rear ended person had kept the distance, the chance of sliding to the next car would be minimal unless as a high rate of impact speed
Old 03-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I think you might have hidden rear-end damage. notice how your bumper is popping out on the left side? That indicates that what it's mounted to got shorter because of the collision. That's bad.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by NJ_CLS_driver
Only thing that sucks in NJ law, is that the guy rear ended you, ( so he is liable), but then you rear ended another car. ( Your insurance is liable for that part) Your required to keep a certain distance from the car in front of you to prevent yourself from sliding into the car in front. It sucks, happened to me, so my insurance went after the guy behind me, but the guy in front went after my insurance.
And, I would assume that your insurance would go after the rear-ender's insurance to recoup that money, as he was the cause of the whole thing...??
Old 03-05-2003, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ABreece
I think you might have hidden rear-end damage. notice how your bumper is popping out on the left side? That indicates that what it's mounted to got shorter because of the collision. That's bad.

you are blowing the rear-end damage on the CL-S waaay out of proportion...theres hardly anything....the old mans car has no damage either hardly...the CL-S needs a new rear bumper and trunk lid...big deal...the front end though, theres about 7k in damage at least...the rear isnt damaged badly because of what i said, the CL-S driver just bounced off the old man and so the energy of the impact was converted into the forward motion of the CL-S, it wasnt absorbed by the CL-S very much at all, lucky for the back end....VERY unlucky for the front end....
Old 03-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
apparently youve never been in an accident like this....anytime you are rear ended, its the rear-enders fault....if you are rear-ended and hit someone else, you are at fault for hitting that car...and if THAT car hits someone else, HEs at fault for that even though the whole thing started 2 cars back.....i have family in the insurance industry and this is how it goes....their are exceptions to the norm, of course, and every situation is slightly different, but the documented rule of thumb is anytime you hit someone from behind, regardless of why (i.e. you were asleep or drunk or rearended) it doesnt matter, you are at fault
This is bull shit. I have been in two accidents similar to this, where I got rear ended and I hit someone else in front of me. I didn't have to pay a cent in their case.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:03 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

dude you must be high... $7k for front end damage??? Not even close. Maybe around $7K for the front and back...
Old 03-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Jimcol, you are incorrect. Perhaps laws in Jersey are "unique" but I've been in an accident similar to this. Car hit me, I hit car in front of me, which hit car in front of it! My insurance didn't pay a dime, and they shouldn't have too. A safe distance is one thing, but when you are pushed by another car, it is a situation that is out of your control.

BTW, let me know what insurance company your family works for, I will stay away!
Old 03-05-2003, 01:07 PM

hahah this thread is going to get locked, you guys fight to much.

I stopped with enough distance to see pavement (maybe 5 feet?) bumber to bumber. (Glad we have anti-lock brakes!!) And then I got hit from behind from a guy going at least 35-40mph, and was forced into hitting the jeep. It wouldn't of mattered how much distance I had between me and the jeep, I was going to hit it no matter what.

As for as the rear damage, its hard to tell how much damage it is. The exhaust is pushed forward and up somewhat, the trunk won't open, and the brake lines under the car look to hanging a little lower than I remember. But I don't think there is frame damage. (I hope) But you never know with these japanese cars. My dad's crx was rear ended before from a camaro going less than 10mph with no front damage and no visable rear damage over than a little buldge on the side. And it turned out the frame was bent and cost $3k. And my mom forget to set the parking brake on her civic and it rolled back into a tree going less than 10mph and she bent her frame as well.

I called the local acura dealer and they are refering me to the a body shop. So I'm going to take my car and leave it there and let the insurance companies worry about it. I just hope I get a loaner car out of it.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Itll be a fight with the insurance Co. however...if you were stopped and got pushed into the other car...you are not at fault...my freind had this happen and the driver of one car admitted that he was stopped before inpact, he got off ok.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

you are blowing the rear-end damage on the CL-S waaay out of proportion...theres hardly anything....the old mans car has no damage either hardly...the CL-S needs a new rear bumper and trunk lid...big deal...the front end though, theres about 7k in damage at least...the rear isnt damaged badly because of what i said, the CL-S driver just bounced off the old man and so the energy of the impact was converted into the forward motion of the CL-S, it wasnt absorbed by the CL-S very much at all, lucky for the back end....VERY unlucky for the front end....
WHOA!!! Flashbacks!

First of all, that back end is going to cost more to fix than it looks. I was rear-ended a few years ago in my last car (97 Prelude SH). Be glad the old man in the boat didn't have a lower, sleeker car. In my accident, he wedged slightly under by rear bumper and ruined the exhaust all the way back to the B-pipe. He can't open his trunk, so something big, something structural is probably bent. The bumper (not the cover, the bumber) is probably bent and will need replacement in addition to all the cosmetic work to straighten, de-dent and paint all that.

And I haven't even gotten to the front end yet....which reminds me of my second accident in that car where a woman pulled out in front of my oncoming traffic without looking....until about 1/2 second before the collision. Totally bent the hood and the right-front quarterpanel, busted one full headlight, messed up the reflector on the other bent the bumper and of course all the other paint and touch-up goodies that go along with it.

Remember that the front-end is designed to self-destruct.

Onto insurance. (BTW, neither was my fault, either logically or in the eyes of the law/insurance co.)

The boat's insurance company will definitely be liable for your back-end damage. The SUV's insurance will probably come after your insurance. Your insurance will fight against the boat's insurance, most likely, for losses associated with plowing into the SUV. They're going to fight to protect their money, BUT, you will most likely be required to pony up the deductible for your front-end damage until it's all settled.

The sad thing is that the old guy will probably get dropped. My read on his wife's comments about settling w/o insurance.....he's on his last chance already.

But, I wouldn't worry to much about your insurance and their view of your "fault". If you have a decent company, they WILL fight for you; afterall, that's what you pay them for. The fact that you were not ticketed is significant, though insurance and fault laws may differ from state to state.

If a car that is easily 1000lbs heavier than yours (if not more) comes slamming into you at 35mph, how can one possibly expect to maintain control of the vehicle?
Old 03-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Masshole

You won't be getting a loaner, but you can get a rental, I presume. If you're going through another person's insurance company, check with the company to be sure how much will be reimbursed. DO NOT ASSUME you can get a comparable vehicle for the duration. This happened to me recently, and I ended up eating a few days worth of an Infiniti I35.

If you're going through your own insurance company, and if you have rental reimbursement, you'll probably get $15 or $30 per day. Not much, but that's the way most companies are.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by Stock03CLS
...BUT, you will most likely be required to pony up the deductible for your front-end damage until it's all settled.
That's what I was tryin' to say earlier, but I'm kinda dumb, so I didn't.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:37 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,099 Likes on 2,707 Posts
jimcol711 just likes to argue, he didnt bother reading way back when you already typed the cop found the old man at fault for everything and not you. Just loves the sound of his own typing. He needs to go back the SRT-4 forums he loves so much.

As for your accident sorry man, i had a hit and run rear end back in dec that i just got fixed. You r smart going through insurance no matter what, they probably didnt want to use insurance cause i bet this will mean the end of his driving days and it probably should be. Good luck man, and make that body make your car lok as factroy new as possible. I had a friend send his car back so many times till he was happy with it (took 5 months in the end to get his car back he sent it back so much, he is super anal about his car, but you cant tell it was ever hit .)
Old 03-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sarlacc23
jimcol711 just likes to argue, he didnt bother reading way back when you already typed the cop found the old man at fault for everything and not you. Just loves the sound of his own typing. He needs to go back the SRT-4 forums he loves so much.

dude, what the cops say doesnt fucking matter...i was in an accident, ruled NOT AT FAULT, received NO citations whatsover, yet, i was fucked....my insurance had to pay over 35k in claims for the accident even though i wasnt at fault.....whether or not citations are issued or some keystone cop on the scene says its your fault, that doesnt matter....what matters is the insurance companies litigation power and process, and how much they are willing to fight...

and by the way, i wouldnt even know what the web address is for any SRT-4 forums, sorry you feel the sting of knowing that a shitty neon will kick your ass in a race any day
Old 03-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I used to drive a Caddy boat like that back in the day when I was in HS. Those things were tanks. I definitely felt safe driving that thing around.

Sorry to see the damage. It should be all his fault hopefully. Looks like it will be an expensive fix because my parents Maxima was hit behind like that. It didn't look too bad, like yours, but there was damage to the frame which cost a boat load to fix...

Good luck!!
Old 03-05-2003, 02:07 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,099 Likes on 2,707 Posts
dude, what the cops say doesnt fucking matter...i was in an accident, ruled NOT AT FAULT, received NO citations whatsover, yet, i was fucked....my insurance had to pay over 35k in claims for the accident even though i wasnt at fault.....whether or not citations are issued or some keystone cop on the scene says its your fault, that doesnt matter....what matters is the insurance companies litigation power and process, and how much they are willing to fight...

and by the way, i wouldnt even know what the web address is for any SRT-4 forums, sorry you feel the sting of knowing that a shitty neon will kick your ass in a race any day
well if you have a good insurance company they will work in favor pending what the police report says and what your companies policies are. the fact that cop sighted the old man for everything puts it all in favor of him not having to shell out a dime.

glad you finally called the srt-4 a neon, bout time you realized that, and i have a stock 1st gen so just about anything will smoke my car, too bad i dont race or i might care.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

damn you got fucked from both ends!!!!! sorry to see all that!!!

so she wants to settle with the insurance? damn i think your repair cost would be at least $7k!!!!!! she might as well go through the insurance company because it will be cheaper in the long run!!!!!

sidemarker
Old 03-05-2003, 04:24 PM
whoXwanXsum

Originally posted by sarlacc23
well if you have a good insurance company they will work in favor pending what the police report says and what your companies policies are. the fact that cop sighted the old man for everything puts it all in favor of him not having to shell out a dime.

glad you finally called the srt-4 a neon, bout time you realized that, and i have a stock 1st gen so just about anything will smoke my car, too bad i dont race or i might care.

my thoughts exactly

Quick Reply: Rear ended this morning *PICS* 56 stay away