Rattle in driver's rear wheel well?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Rattle in driver's rear wheel well?

I was wondering if someone could help me with this problem. I've got a pretty loud rattle coming from what I believe is the rear driver's wheel well. You can really hear it while going slow over bumpy roads. To give you an idea about how serious I am about finding it, I had my wife drive me around in my subdivision, with me in the trunk. She thinks I'm obsessed about cars, but she just doesn't understand. Anyway, as far as I can tell, it's coming from under the side trunk carpetting or in the wheel/suspension area. This is also where the fuel tank lines come in too. Anyone else experienced this? I wanted to ask someone before I try to take out that trunk carpetting. It doesn't look very easy to remove. I doubt the dealer will hear what I'm hearing if I take it in. Murphy's Law. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you do sway bars? If so, check the endlink nuts.... might need re-tightening.

Also, recheck your Compy exhaust nuts. Sometimes the dumbest things are the culprit.

Good luck - Jim
Old 02-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by mackdaddy
Did you do sway bars? If so, check the endlink nuts.... might need re-tightening.

Also, recheck your Compy exhaust nuts. Sometimes the dumbest things are the culprit.

Good luck - Jim
Thanks Jim. Just went under my car and lookie there. The endlink nut on the passenger side was loose. I was getting worried with the clunking noise I kept hearing.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have sway bars on mine, and unfortunately the sound was present even before I put on the exhaust. Otherwise, the exhaust nuts sounded like a possibility. Any other ideas? Thanks.