Radar Detetor Law Updates!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar Detetor Law Updates!!

I have heard a few laws amended now that only restricts the possession of a radar detector in Washington D.C. specifically. Apparently it is allowed in parts of Virginia now too.. However, I'm hearing that a lot of laws about hanging crap on your windshield is being implemented for passenger vehicles. Has anyone got a site listing that shows all the radar detector rules for each state? A source told me that his friend got his detector seized by the cops in Indiana. I'm wondering if it's because there is a "NO OBJECT ALLOWED TO HANG FROM WINDSHIELD" law there.. The last time I check this law it was only in Minnesota..
..So the issue boils down to knowing wether your detector can be seized if it's hanging from your shield even though the possession of the unit is not illegal in your state. Please help.

------------------
'01 3.2CL-S (BLACK <> EBONY) W/ NAVIGAT. KIT
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
~ REAR SPOILER ~ ** ~ ACURA NOSE GUARD BRA ~
~ GOLD EMBLEM KIT + GRILLE ~ ** ~ ROOF VISOR ~
~ MUD GUARDS ~ ** ~ WOOD TRIM KIT ~
~ MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~
~ CARGO NET ~ ** ~ WHEEL LOCKS ~
~ 35% METALLIC CHROME TINT (all doors) ~
~ V-1 RADAR DETECTOR W/ REMOTE ~
~ MOTOROLA HANDSFREE PRO-INSTALL PHONE KIT ~
~ ALPINE 350W AMP - W/ 12" XTANT SPEAKER ~

Joey's Mistress
Old 03-15-2001, 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you check with one or more of the radar detector manufacturer's? I would think they would have a list of states.

(just a thought)

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • 14.8lb 17x8" SSR Competition rims on the way
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-15-2001, 01:26 PM
on bin laden

We definately get tickets for having shit up on the windshield, hasn't happened to me ... I only have a small greek chain hanging off the rearview ... but I've had several buddies get tickets for dice, garters , or other random shit...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by j_o_e_y:
I have heard a few laws amended now that only restricts the possession of a radar detector in Washington D.C. specifically. Apparently it is allowed in parts of Virginia now too.. However, I'm hearing that a lot of laws about hanging crap on your windshield is being implemented for passenger vehicles. Has anyone got a site listing that shows all the radar detector rules for each state? A source told me that his friend got his detector seized by the cops in Indiana. I'm wondering if it's because there is a "NO OBJECT ALLOWED TO HANG FROM WINDSHIELD" law there.. The last time I check this law it was only in Minnesota..
..So the issue boils down to knowing wether your detector can be seized if it's hanging from your shield even though the possession of the unit is not illegal in your state. Please help.

</font>

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Acura Winter Mats
*Mudguards
*Mobile 1 Synthetic
*Rockford 500a2
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2)
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 03-15-2001, 01:49 PM
8th Gear

You folks are lucky (in most states). Up here in Toronto, all detectors are illegal and the fines if caught are $500. (They were $350. awhile ago)
I would gladly own one if it were legal

'99 TL
soon to be 2001 CL
Old 03-15-2001, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

This is the one thing I HATE about VA.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 03-15-2001, 03:07 PM
Kill the Chicken heads

i know for a fact in California that u are not allowed to ahve anything hanging in the window. Ex- radar, air freshiner ect ect ect...

------------------
Nick
01' Cl-S Silver/ Black W/ Navi
V-1 Radar Hard Wired, Limo Tint all around
Comptech Headers, Sways, and AEM CAI
I've got one of CLS's from the fast batch.
Lead Foot
Old 03-15-2001, 04:41 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Type S Smokes All:
i know for a fact in California that u are not allowed to ahve anything hanging in the window. Ex- radar, air freshiner ect ect ect...

</font>
Son-momma-biatch!!! I just signed up for the Motorist club by the way.. I think Shawn S pointed this club out a long time ago.. Anywho, as a member it tells me a lot of stuff that I need to know about the law.. It gives me access to legality and statutes as it pertains to each state. It's all accessible thru their website WWW.MOTORISTs.ORG. U need to be a member to access all the good stuff tho and receive the benefits.. Anywho, I will post up the real deal soon. I will draw up a single document with all the state laws on radar and crap on your shield and post it all on an HTML and give u guys the link aiight... gotta work.

------------------
'01 3.2CL-S (BLACK &lt;&gt; EBONY) W/ NAVIGAT. KIT
~ MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~

Joey's Mistress
Old 03-15-2001, 07:12 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Type S Smokes All:

</font>
really?
The cop that stopped me not a while ago must've been in a good mood, cause I had my G-tech hanging on the windshield...

------------------
'01 CL type-S.
Stats on all-stock with 1/2 tank:
0-60 in 5.85
Why drink and drive, when you can smoke and fly?
Old 03-15-2001, 07:22 PM
on bin laden

a cop in a good mood ??? hehe, keep in mind, cops really don't know all the laws, and their word is definately not golden, so if you get some wierd ticket, ask around and see if they are just full of shit.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by prikid:
really?
The cop that stopped me not a while ago must've been in a good mood, cause I had my G-tech hanging on the windshield...
</font>

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Acura Winter Mats
*Mudguards
*Mobile 1 Synthetic
*Rockford 500a2
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2)
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 03-15-2001, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by prikid:
really?

</font>
Had 2 policeman drive right next to me on a day that I had the GTECH mounted on the windshield. Could there be a difference between "hanging" and "mounting".

Perhaps the "hanging" and "mounting" is important. I just got a "Classic Motoring Accessories" catalog. It has a picture of a small mirror that you can mount on the front windshield. It is called the "Autobahn Mirror." The salesperson said they have sold quite a few to California without problems.

BTW -- it would help with the "blind spot" we have.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • 14.8lb 17x8" SSR Competition rims on the way
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-15-2001, 07:35 PM
Drifting

Koboloi!!! =)
Old 03-15-2001, 11:00 PM
Race Director

It is illegal in all states to block the windshield. I'm sure you'll find it somewhere in every state. What kind of state says it's "okay to have crap all up in the windshield blocking your view..."

It's a matter of enforcement....this is nothing new.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-15-2001, 11:23 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
It is illegal in all states to block the windshield. I'm sure you'll find it somewhere in every state. What kind of state says it's "okay to have crap all up in the windshield blocking your view..."

</font>
Ken,
No one said anything about blocking the windshield. Looking at the government site the only statute passed prohibitting any object hanging, attached, mounted to a mirror other then a city/registration sticker is Minnesota. I'm aware that you can not have anything obstructing view, but what is defined as "Obstruction of View". There is no clear cut definition of it and I guess that's why Minnesota just said nothing other then stickers can "touch" the windshield or placed in front of it. In the case of other states, I'm still wondering why the cop took the radar detector from the Indiana motorist. The cop had no rights of seizing anything from that vehicle at all even it it was illegal.. That is improper seizure that he got away with and the guy was bluffed into giving it up.
..At any rate, I have not found any statutes prohibiting stuff from being on the windshield in any other state other then Minnesota. So you guys may be getting bluffed by the cops when they ticket u. The motorist club have chapter members in each state that study and know the laws of the state like a bible. I agree with one post saying that cops don't know everything that pertains to the law.. They are not lawyers and their interpretation of the law may be skewed sometimes because of bias or plain ignorance.
..Nevertheless, I suggest that you guys keep a copy of the State Vehicle Code in your glove compartment. In the case that you are pulled over and being told something strange, you can use it as a reference on the spot.. You may get the cop to understand that you will not fall for his bluff.

------------------
~ MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~

Joey's Mistress
Old 03-15-2001, 11:24 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PuffDaddy:
You folks are lucky (in most states). Up here in Toronto, all detectors are illegal and the fines if caught are $500. (They were $350. awhile ago)
I would gladly own one if it were legal

'99 TL
soon to be 2001 CL
</font>
damn i never knew we had a fine that big. are you talking us dollars or canadian?

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch
Old 03-15-2001, 11:36 PM
3rd Gear

Radar jammer are illegal in california but i couldn't find anything that said detector are illegal. But maybe i am wrong
Old 03-16-2001, 02:52 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by j_o_e_y:
Originally posted by kensteele:

</font>
Ken,
No one said anything about blocking the windshield. Looking at the government site the only statute passed prohibitting any object hanging, attached, mounted to a mirror other then a city/registration sticker is Minnesota. I'm aware that you can not have anything obstructing view, but what is defined as "Obstruction of View". There is no clear cut definition of it and I guess that's why Minnesota just said nothing other then stickers can "touch" the windshield or placed in front of it. In the case of other states, I'm still wondering why the cop took the radar detector from the Indiana motorist. The cop had no rights of seizing anything from that vehicle at all even it it was illegal.. That is improper seizure that he got away with and the guy was bluffed into giving it up.
..At any rate, I have not found any statutes prohibiting stuff from being on the windshield in any other state other then Minnesota. So you guys may be getting bluffed by the cops when they ticket u. The motorist club have chapter members in each state that study and know the laws of the state like a bible. I agree with one post saying that cops don't know everything that pertains to the law.. They are not lawyers and their interpretation of the law may be skewed sometimes because of bias or plain ignorance.
..Nevertheless, I suggest that you guys keep a copy of the State Vehicle Code in your glove compartment. In the case that you are pulled over and being told something strange, you can use it as a reference on the spot.. You may get the cop to understand that you will not fall for his bluff.

It's there, right there in the law. You just gotta find it. The cops know were it is.

I lived in Minnesota for 10 years and we weren't the only state with such a law. In fact, I used to have a car that had the words "DAYTONA" across the top of the windshield (outside) that stretched all the way across from left to right. Got a warning ticket in Texas. Never, ever, never got a warning/ticket in Minnesota and I had the Passport stuck to my windshield, centered, about 3 inches off the dashboard, for all ten years. That's why I said it was a matter of enforcement or discretionary.

I don't want to get into all this roadside legal stuff that you're mentioning. Take it from me (experience on the roadway/highway). The cop is going to do what he wants to do and no law book that you pull out is going to deter him. If I were a cop (and I knew what I was doing was legal) and the perp told me it wasn't legal and pulled out a book, I would arrest him anyway.

Cops today aren't stupid. You don't have to be a lawyer to enforce traffic laws. Don't underestimate them.

Ok, I read one of your post and to be clear, there doesn't have to be a "No object hanging...." law. There has always been an "obstruction of view" law that will cover any radar detector mounted anyway [usuable] in the compartment if need be.

Why would you do something so silly as to fight a roadside confiscation, anyway? Sorry, just my opinion.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-16-2001, 08:37 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hypersion:
Radar jammer are illegal in california but i couldn't find anything that said detector are illegal. But maybe i am wrong </font>
Jammers are illegal in every state.. Detectors are illegal only in D.C. and parts of Virginia. If a statute isn't there for it, then it is legal. Again, these laws are available to the public by the goverment. and the motorist club has lawyers that provide that info as well.

------------------
~ MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~