Raced a prototype Cobra.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 08:58 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Raced a prototype Cobra.....

My buddy works for Ford Motorsports and I raced him last night after a wedding. That mutherfuka had me by about a car after 70-80 yards and then just blew the doors off of me. When he let off, he was about 6 car lengths a head of me. His car has some type of laptop in it, and he can change a ton of shit in it. He says it has 390hp to the wheels. Is that possible? The car is the present body style buy has these suspension and engine mods that Ford did.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:08 AM
It's Go-Time.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all the after-market parts available for 5.0's, its not hard to get huge HP with most of these guys running R-Trim Vortech's. Does he work for Ford America or a Ford Dealership?
Old 08-06-2001, 04:13 AM
da da da

If that's gonna be production I will finally have some respect for this generation of Mustangs.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by phinthesky:
<STRONG>My buddy works for Ford Motorsports and I raced him last night after a wedding. That mutherfuka had me by about a car after 70-80 yards and then just blew the doors off of me. When he let off, he was about 6 car lengths a head of me. His car has some type of laptop in it, and he can change a ton of shit in it. He says it has 390hp to the wheels. Is that possible? The car is the present body style buy has these suspension and engine mods that Ford did.</STRONG>
1 - There is no way your buddy would be allowed to drive a 'prototype', i.e. preproduction Mustang and show/give away the design points of the upcoming models. Maybe you just mean a modified Cobra, i.e. with a supercharger.

2 - 390 rear wheel horsepower is very possible on the DOHC 4.6. 450-475 range is not hard to reach either if it is tuned correctly. This motor responds very well to forced induction.

3 - If he did have 390 RWHP, then he should have gotten way more than 'about a car' on you to 70-80.

4 - There really is no Ford Motorsports anymore, it is Ford Racing.

GOT PSI-
With all the after-market parts available for 5.0's, its not hard to get huge HP with most of these guys running R-Trim Vortech's. Does he work for Ford America or a Ford Dealership?

5.0? They haven't put that in a Mustang since '95, dude...
Old 08-06-2001, 03:11 PM
It's Go-Time.

Originally posted by Pull_T:
<STRONG>

1 - There is no way your buddy would be allowed to drive a 'prototype', i.e. preproduction Mustang and show/give away the design points of the upcoming models. Maybe you just mean a modified Cobra, i.e. with a supercharger.

2 - 390 rear wheel horsepower is very possible on the DOHC 4.6. 450-475 range is not hard to reach either if it is tuned correctly. This motor responds very well to forced induction.

3 - If he did have 390 RWHP, then he should have gotten way more than 'about a car' on you to 70-80.

4 - There really is no Ford Motorsports anymore, it is Ford Racing.

GOT PSI-

5.0? They haven't put that in a Mustang since '95, dude...</STRONG>
Uh...dude...so do u refer 95's and up 4.6's?? What i meant was a general term...sorry to get your Blue Oval in a twist. Just because he's got 390 BHP doesn't mean shit if he's a poor driver.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GOT PSI?:
<STRONG>

Uh...dude...so do u refer 95's and up 4.6's?? What i meant was a general term...sorry to get your Blue Oval in a twist. Just because he's got 390 BHP doesn't mean shit if he's a poor driver.</STRONG>
Yeah, they have a 4.6 don't they. I sure don't refer to them as 5.0s since that's not what they have. Mod Motor or Modular Motor is also a popular term along with SOHC and DOHC for the GTs and Cobras, respectively...

Also, it is 96 and up that are non-5.0s...

No one really puts R-Trim in the new motors anyway. Yes, it can be done and has been done, but usually they go with an S-Trim or a V-2 S-Trim...

As far as the 390 HP not meaning shit w/o a driver, I agree, but one would have to be quite a bad driver or not pushing all 390 HP to only 'win' by that margin...

Sorry to have offended you, it was not my intent...
Old 08-06-2001, 05:04 PM
Banned

<STRONG>
</STRONG>
Not 70-80MPH. He said 70-80 yards.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Damaged:
<STRONG>

Not 70-80MPH. He said 70-80 yards.</STRONG>
Ahh, makes a little more sense, thanks for pointing that out. Even Cobra drivers can make mistakes.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:44 PM
It's Go-Time.

<STRONG>

Yeah, they have a 4.6 don't they. I sure don't refer to them as 5.0s since that's not what they have. Mod Motor or Modular Motor is also a popular term along with SOHC and DOHC for the GTs and Cobras, respectively...

Also, it is 96 and up that are non-5.0s...

No one really puts R-Trim in the new motors anyway. Yes, it can be done and has been done, but usually they go with an S-Trim or a V-2 S-Trim...

As far as the 390 HP not meaning shit w/o a driver, I agree, but one would have to be quite a bad driver or not pushing all 390 HP to only 'win' by that margin...

Sorry to have offended you, it was not my intent...</STRONG>
No worries...

There are quite a few Mustangs have gone from the S-Trim to R-Trim. All running cogged systems. In Canada, Chevron has 94 octane so these guys can running higher boost. I know two guys running the Mondo Vortech on the street...really scary.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GOT PSI?:
<STRONG>

No worries...

There are quite a few Mustangs have gone from the S-Trim to R-Trim. All running cogged systems. In Canada, Chevron has 94 octane so these guys can running higher boost. I know two guys running the Mondo Vortech on the street...really scary.</STRONG>
Yeah, those Mondos and Monndo XXs are killer blowers for the hardcore racers...