Raced a manual M3 tonight--did quite well I might add!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 11:42 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raced a manual M3 tonight--did quite well I might add!

OK--before anyone starts flaming--hear me out. I have been here since Honda-Acura.net and I don't lie about things. That being said, remember that I have headers and a CAI.

Tonight I raced a manual M3. Smae year as Tom's. Driven by a guy who knew he was in a race, and, in fact, instigated it.

He was in front of me at a light to turn left. Even before we got to the light I could hear him asserting himself through his exhaust.

I pull in back of him at the light. When the light turns green he hits it "aggressively", makes it around the turn and sees that I'm right behind him. I knew he was going to hit it so I smashed it in 2nd gear SS and we were off.

Now, for the interesting part. He pulled on me initially--but only for what felt like a split second. No surprise. During this time I could only hear his car. But, as soon as I heard the whine of the CAI (aka 5200rpm) I pulled hard as hell for the next 1800rpm and all I could hear was my car. Great thing was that he had to shift long before I had to and that killed him.

So, we pulled around the next bend and I'm sure he was surprised that I kept pace with him through the corner, and then we had a race to see if he could get into the left hand lane that I was in before he had to turn off.

Long story short--although it all happened so fast--I have never been prouder of my CLS!!!

We both hit it and my car downshifted into second. I was in SS. I could hear him have to shift about 1800rpm (on my tach) before I did at 7100rpm and let me tell you the punch line to this story..........................

No joke, I almost ran into his back end. He could not even come close to pulling on me enough to get into my lane.

End of story.

100% true; the guy ran that thing like crazy in every gear.

My moral--hey, maybe a good M3 driver will take me off the line--but I will not back down from any race with a last generation M3 again. Even my friend that has an M3 convertible was impressed with how hard my car pulled--and damn impressed with how much it cost!! (Honestly, he liked our interior and features more than his--no joke--but his wife liked the car). And, I've taken his car out and was not impressed with the acceleration compared to what I thought it was going to be like. Plus, when that high compression engine winds downs it's like downshifting on a motorcyle.

I could see the guy look in his mirrors when I finally let him over and he was damn surprised. Probably the first time he'd ever been taken.

Take this for what you will--it is 100% true.

And yes, for the situation we were in, the guy "knew how to drive".

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 04-05-2001, 11:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I assume you're talking about the old E36 M3

------------------
Alex
Old 04-05-2001, 11:54 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I believe you ! BIG BMW BS HIPE KISS ASS Motor Trend and the rest of those jerks !
GO CLS !

You've made my evening ! Now for a Martini

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 04-05-2001, 11:54 PM
Instructor

With cold air and headers and he only has 240hp you should have taken him easily! My brother has a 98 M3 and once my car is broken in we will have plenty of time to see who is faster stock for stock!
Old 04-06-2001, 12:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Yup, good race man madd props. Haven't got a chance to race a manual m3 but I can kill a auto m3 w/ exhaust no p. Just hard to tell who has auto and who has manual.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-06-2001, 12:07 AM
Ace rider

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rwwlaw:
With cold air and headers and he only has 240hp you should have taken him easily! My brother has a 98 M3 and once my car is broken in we will have plenty of time to see who is faster stock for stock!</font>
Hmmm, 5 speed manual M3 at 5.5 seconds? Even with headers and CAI, it should be close, not taken "easily".

------------------
01 Silver CL-S, Navi, Spoiler
Retired: 94 540i
Old 04-06-2001, 12:10 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dacat:
Hmmm, 5 speed manual M3 at 5.5 seconds? Even with headers and CAI, it should be close, not taken "easily".

</font>
5.9 for the 98 M3 according to edmunds.

Old 04-06-2001, 12:11 AM
Ace rider

BTW, JZ, great job! I need to learn from you, I got toasted by a 6-speed (new) 540 a couple of weeks ago (I know...I *should* have been toasted anyway right?) I just want to keep up

------------------
Old 04-06-2001, 12:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That's cool JZ!! I can vouch that JZ is an honest guy and has no reason to lie.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Toyo T1S Proxys 235/45/17
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 04-06-2001, 12:19 AM
Bagged hybrid

Great job JZ! I still wouldn't try an M3 off the line, but once we get going it should be a good race.
Old 04-06-2001, 12:19 AM
nItIn

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dacat:
BTW, JZ, great job! I need to learn from you, I got toasted by a 6-speed (new) 540 a couple of weeks ago (I know...I *should* have been toasted anyway right?) I just want to keep up

</font>
*sniff* aww, I know that feeling!

you know ur baby can do it! I know it can! but its a pretty bummish feeling to think that maybe you may not have, or not known how to use it to its full potential. I know I dont know how to use my CL to its full potential

------------------
2001 CL - Nighthawk Black ext: Ebony int; Coming soon: '02 TL-S Wood Steering; Tints; Aftermarket Wood Trim
Old 04-06-2001, 12:25 AM
Powered By HONDA

race a manual m3..m...............that is kind of hard..........m powered ...haha

------------------
2001 Acura Red CL Type S.
1997 Honda Civic EX.
!!!! VTEC Power !!!!
Powered by HONDA
Powered by MUGEN

typescl@yahoo.com
Old 04-06-2001, 12:32 AM
Ace rider

[/b][/QUOTE]5.9 for the 98 M3 according to edmunds.

[/B][/QUOTE]

5.6 according to Edmund's for the unchanged 1999 version, test vary.

The CL-S is 6.4-6.7 according to mags.

------------------
Old 04-06-2001, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Maybe it was a 318 with M3 badging?
Old 04-06-2001, 12:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Mike's gettin carried away..

Linking to racing stories.

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

Blue Lady Dragon

Ferrari F355 Challenge Lap Times (Dreamcast):
-Motegi: 0'37"822 , sprint total 2'42"892
-Suzuka (short): 0'57"873
-Atlanta: 0'31"659
Old 04-06-2001, 12:45 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Crippen:
Maybe it was a 318 with M3 badging? </font>
ahh german rice. or is it kraut?

BTW, good to see you around Crippen. How's Montreal? Poutines still hot?
Old 04-06-2001, 12:47 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AndyN aka CLTypeS:
Originally posted by Crippen:
Maybe it was a 318 with M3 badging? </font>
ahh german rice. or is it kraut?

BTW, good to see you around Crippen. How's Montreal? Poutines still hot?

Hey Andy, ltns

Poutine is yummy Montreal weather is being finicky -- we STILL have snow. I want to put my summer tires back on

How's your car holding up? Still happy with it?

Old 04-06-2001, 12:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wanted some exposure in the main forum.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KavexTrax:
Mike's gettin carried away..

Linking to racing stories.

</font>

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Toyo T1S Proxys 235/45/17
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 04-06-2001, 01:52 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Hmmmmm......

Let me just say this: As the owner of both cars in question (okay, maybe only the M3 now), I've had the opportunity to actually race my cars against each other. I've posted the results here before. Granted, my CL-S was bone stock, but so was the M3.

From a dead stop, there's really no competition- An M3 will just flat out take off harder than a CL-S. From a 30 mph roll, the CL-S is in its element. Not once could my brother (driving the CL-S) pull on me (M3), but surprisingly, I did not pull away too hard from him.

Accelerating from speeds above 100 mph are no contest. This is the biggest difference between these two cars in terms of acceleration. In fact, I had to ask my brother if he was even on the gas when we tried this. I absolutely left him in the dust. Anyone that has driven an M3 at high speed knows that the car will pull extremely hard right up to its governed top speed.

I also have raced both cars at Englishtown's Raceway Park.

Best time for my stock CL-S 14.7
Best time for my stock M3 13.9

I'm not doubting this story at all, and I'm certainly not gonna discount the mods done to JZ's CL-S. I'm sure they helped out a lot, but I'd like to see how well he runs in the quarter mile. Should be interesting......

JZ, I'm gonna be down your way in a few weeks. Maybe we can meet and set up a little street racin' fun. We'll take some pics and post them here. Whatcha think?

By the way, I gotta tell you in the interest of fairness-- My M3 is no longer stock. I got it sharked, which is basically a software upgrade that adds a decent amount of power and eliminates the top speed governor. The actual top speed of an ungoverned E36 M3 is around 155 MPH.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-06-2001, 02:42 AM
Instructor

Actually I'm a little surprise that you didn't beat him w/the mods you have. Maddogtx who randomly posts random psts here is a buddy of mine with a 99 M3. We raced when we were stcok. I have non navi CL-S. At any rate, those races were no contests. He walked away from me real easyily.

Then he went and got a Dinan intake and software upgrade. Same as Tom I would presume.... raised the rev limiter and got rid of the speed governor. Then he also went and got himself a UUC? shortshifter. After that he would just toy with me. At that point I would never even consider runnning with him... absolutely no contest. He went at it with the S4 at www.imolas4.com and lost. Go look at that site and you'll see why. That S4 is a monster with such relatively mild mods.

Then I have installed the AEM CAI and noticed that my car got stronger and stronger. Yeah I didn't disconnect the battery but I knew that eventually the ECU would remap. Took a while but I think that it's fully remapped now. Shortly after installing the CAI before it was fully remapped, we hooked it up with an S2000 that had an intake and VOLK TE37s. I was surprised at how well I kept up. I killed them whenever they missed a gear. The S2000 was surprised too. The M3 and S2000 were pretty even depending on who got the better launch. Although I could tell that the M3 did have more. At this point I believe that Maddog was starting to have a slipping clutch problem and his rear tires were a little worn and was not getting normal traction off the line.

Needless to say I was starting to gain more confidence that as soon as the ECU was fully remapped, I could do a little better. So a couple weeks after that, we went at it again. This time we both had passengers. On the best run when we both had good launches and my dumbass took off the VSA, I lost to him by half a car length. I don't know up to what speed, cause I was just concentrating on the road. Proably up to 80-100 cause I remember two shifts. I would actually gain a little everytime I got into VTEC and then lost a little everytime I shifted.

Last week we went at it again, this time with a buddy of ours that has a 94 GSR with a Jackson SC. The GSR had some sorry ass Sumitomo tires, sorry Ray, (I think he was running 17" Concept 5s). He had all the other mods to be able to run the SC (bigger brakes, fuel pump... blah blah). He was a none factor case the tires couldn't hook up for the power he was running. All three of us were in the car when he went at it with a Z28 convertible. The guy was such an ass, he beats us by a car and we had three people and he had the nuts to wave bye bye to us. I hate it when guys wave with a smirk on his face. The tires hopped really bad, they couldn't handle the power.

Well back to the story. We then go to our favorite place to race... no one around... good three lanes, no side streets.. plus 1 AM. So everyone is by themselves in the car. With my CAI, the M3 couldn't really do any serious damage which really surprised us all. On the really good runs we had, where everything was going about right for everyone, I would say we were neck and neck off the line before he starts to pull away by car maybe car and a half. His clutch was slipping in 3rd and 4th so we didn't have an all out thing. We did have one run that was full force all out to like 120 125. I kept up pretty well with him, maybe car car and a half. Difficult to tell you know when you're concentrating. I did notice that the 1 to 2 shift drops us out of VTEC, that's when he starts to pull away. But the 2 to 3 shift I would have to say the car was still in VTEC cause RPM only dropped to 5k. After 3, I looked to see how hard we would get pulled. Not too bad. We stay out of VTEC for like 4-5 seconds. But that really doesn't matter anyway cause the gearing sucks.

On the run that we went up to 120 125, the GSR was like way behind. He blew by us though when we started to shut it down. Said he got up to 142. Damn. I know he was pulling hard all the way too. I one good rolling start with him. We both slammed on it and I pull on him a little but it got embarassing after that cause when I got into third, for the first time all night he pulled the shit out of me. Made up a car and then got a car on me. That definitely didn't feel good.

I'm gonna put in the Denso's and I will tell you if they do any good. At least I have a benchmark with my friend's M3. But then again if he gets new tires and fixes his clutch (he said that in 3rd and 4th the engine rev but he had no power) I'm probably deadmeat again. But not bad for us.
Old 04-06-2001, 05:56 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get headers amd the denso plugs that should help too

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards
- Winter mats
- Trunk liner
- Acura Spoiler
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
Old 04-06-2001, 10:50 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I have no argument with anyone's knowledge of the M3 in other driving circumstances.

All I can comment on is that in this specific circumstance (a rolling start encompassing 1st, 2nd and the first part of third gear), my car was faster than his. The real difference was the higher powerband on my CLS--each time he had to shift before me I was just in my sweet spot and at that time I pulled on him and would have passed him.

Sure, from a standstill or from 4th gear on I bet the results would have been different.

But, that wasn't this race and so I won't comment on that.

Glad to see there is so much interest with this post. I was quite happy yesterday.

Oh, and by the way there is no way it's a rebadged car--the guy lives at the other end of my neighborhood and I've seen his car many times. I was going to pull in and talk to him but he looked pretty pissed when I pulled on him.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 04-06-2001, 10:55 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
get headers amd the denso plugs that should help too
</font>

I have headers and the plugs are being delivered to my house as we speak. Should have them on tonight.

Tom--that would be great. Let me know when you're coming down and I can see if we can find a place to have some fun.

I'm planning on going to the track within the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping for a bit of beginner's luck since I've never run at the track before--hopefully the numbers won't be too bad. I'll do my best.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 04-06-2001, 02:27 PM
Banned

Great race! I have to give you the respect that your car deserves. Acura CLS is a great car and matching it up with a M3 (performance wise) is a great deal for the money!

Once again, I think you did great with that M3. No doubts about it with this story. Sounds 110% true.

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
Forums are now open at www.BMWExperience.com
Old 04-06-2001, 03:10 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

M3Sins--thanks for the props man. I could only report on what I took part in--no unnecessary speculation.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next