Questions about iVTEC

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 10:57 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about iVTEC

1. Is the continuously variable nature of iVTEC going to take away our patented VTEC growl at changover? Will the engine note just continue to spool up gradually until redline?

2. What engine will get iVTEC next? Can iVTEC be adapted to the current generation of engines (ie new CL/TL).

3. What would iVTEC do to our engine if it were present? Higher overall power, greater torque band, more low end grunt?

What do you guys think? I think this will be a good way to introduce our new cousin and begin to understand this thing a little bit more.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 06-27-2001, 11:08 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:
1. Is the continuously variable nature of iVTEC going to take away our patented VTEC growl at changover? Will the engine note just continue to spool up gradually until redline?</font>
No. The VTEC mechanism is still two-stage. The VTC (see VVTi) mechanism is the only thing that is continuous. It's the exact same idea as the VVTLi that they have in the Celica GT-S.

2. What engine will get iVTEC next? Can iVTEC be adapted to the current generation of engines (ie new CL/TL).</font>
That is a very good question that nobody outside of Honda upper management can answer at this point. But do keep in mind that all the larger Toyota engines that had no VVTi previously were offered in a VVTi-featuring version in a short amount of time.

3. What would iVTEC do to our engine if it were present? Higher overall power, greater torque band, more low end grunt?</font>
Low and mid-rpm torque, if implemented at all like VVTi.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH
Potenza S-02 Pole Position

The Reasonable Voice of Bias
Old 06-27-2001, 11:13 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I'm reading from the new Acura magazine and it states the iVTEC, "provides continuously variable camshaft timing to broaden the power band, boost fuel efficiency and lower emissions". Is that not infinitely variable?

I guess some of that quote answered my own questions!! Talk about reading comprehension!!)

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 06-28-2001, 01:13 AM
Pro

I'm reading from the new Acura magazine and it states the iVTEC, "provides continuously variable camshaft timing to broaden the power band, boost fuel efficiency and lower emissions". Is that not infinitely variable?</font>
Only timing. And it's not "infinitely", but rather "continuously". As far as I remember off the top of my head, it will allow something up to 50 degrees of timing variation.

Valve lift and duration, which results from switching from the low-rpm cam profile to the high-rpm cam profile, is partly responsible for the characteristic VTEC "growl", not the continuously variable cam timing. (Switching to the short manifold tract is the other part responsible for the "growl".)

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH
Potenza S-02 Pole Position

The Reasonable Voice of Bias
Old 06-28-2001, 01:16 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
continuous != infinite.

Technically, you could continuously switch between two settings. That would hardly be infinite settings.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
50% tint sides, 35% back.
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.
I smell Comptech springs and sways in the near future! w00t!