QUESTION for ShawnS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUESTION for ShawnS

Shawn,
I have a few questions regarding your installation of LEDs on the Homelink Controller.

First off, How/where did you pry the cover off initially? I don't want to just start poking with a screwdriver and take the chance of tearing the fabric or cracking a clip off the cover.

Next, how did you determine which wires went to the Sun Visor Mirrors? (That was a good idea by the way)

Lastly, what im thinking of doing is (if it would work) is just putting a LED under the cover, instead of drilling holes into it. Hopefully it would just cause the whole area around the 3 buttons to glow softly at night. Do you think the plastic is too thick for this to work? That way, if i screw up and endup putting it all back as is, im not left with 2 holes in the cover.

Thanks!

------------------
'99 2.3CL 5-spd, Black.
Spoiler, Pilot Fogs, Wheel Locks, Mudguards, CD & Cass, CoPilot Digital Compass, Michelin Pilot Tires, and an Audiovox Pursuit Ignition Disabler.
Old 04-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I can answer the 2nd question. He has the HELM manual.

Basically 'The bible' for our cars.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-04-2001, 05:37 PM
Team Owner

Sorry for the late reply......damm job keeps getting in the way.

Yours is a Gen-1, so I’m not exactly sure what it looks like up there, but this is what I did.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How/where did you pry the cover off initially?</font>
The clear cover to the map-lights is carefully pried off with a small flat-blade screwdriver.
There are (2) screws behind that and (2) screws inside the sunglass holder that hold the console to the roof.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">how did you determine which wires went to the Sun Visor Mirrors?</font>
I was originally going to power the LED’s off of the auto-dim rear view mirror circuit like some have done with RADAR detectors.
When I went to install the completed assembly, I saw the two wires going over to the drivers side vanity mirror.
I decided to use those instead because they would go ON/OFF with the lights.
There are only two wires in that area, so it was just a matter of finding Pos/Neg with my meter.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hopefully it would just cause the whole area around the 3 buttons to glow softly at night. Do you think the plastic is too thick for this to work?</font>
Again, I don’t know exactly what yours looks like up there, but the 01’s have grey or tan covers with black buttons so there is nothing to reflect through.
The (3) buttons are made up from a one-piece black rubber membrane and the light wouldn’t shine out between them.

You might want to go with a larger or brighter LED if you want to do something like that.
But watch out because the brighter ones get quite HOT and it might melt the plastic.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS