Question on CEL- Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question on CEL- Help

Question and Concern with CEL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently got my car back from the body shop due to MVA during our snow/ice storm in the DFW area. The car had mild damage to the front end. No engine parts were replaced with exception to the radiator, rad hose, rad. bracket, HID lights and AC parts and usual body parts.

Yesterday, I drove from Dallas to Houston during the morning hours and the car was running fine with no problems. While driving home in the evening to my parents home the car started to hesitate/surging (something like when the AC compressor turns on, but mildly stronger). Pressing on the gas would make symptoms go away. I would notice the surge/hesitation around 2000-2500RPM. Car does not shake or turn off while idiling, but revs at about 1000-1300RPM. BTW I was driving with AC off.

So a few minutes later the CEL comes on. I pull off to a near by Autozone and I have the codes pulled. I end up with three engine codes P0170, P0172 and P0219. Below are the definitions of the codes as per AZ data.

AZ definition for P0170 is Fuel trim bank one. Powertrain control module uses the O2 sensor to calculate the A/F ratio of engine. Computer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one engine bank.

Probable causes:1) If bank one and two codes set together suspect a fuel pressure or MAF sensor 2) Oxygen sensor defective 3)Ignition misfire-repair 4) Fuel injector problem

P0172 Fuel system too rich bank 1
Probable cause: 1) Fuel System Concern 2) Ignition System 3) MAF sensor faulty 4) H02S/AF ratio sensor fault

P0219 Why this? I never over rev the engine before or now. Normal driving speed b/w 55 to 90MPH

BTW, my car is 03 CL 6speed CTSC with 78k miles on the clock. Last fill up was MurphyUSA-WalliMArt w 93 Octane.

I have done a search but I have not found a solid solution. I need help and I need to know were do I start and what to tackle first. seem to be alot of parts to change out.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

WHAO! That many view and no advise.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well... lets figure out your codes.
Problem #1 ECU reconizes rich or lean condition
Problem #2 Fuel system running rich (this just solved problem #1)
I'm not sure about your 3rd problem, maybe your tranny slipped.

Okay, what's causing problem #1 & #2 ?
How does the car run rich out of no where?
O2 sensor is sending faulty data? (Test o2 sensor with ohm meter)
Fuel injector working properly? (Inspect Fuel Injectors)
Ecu went full retard? (Replace ECU)

There's too many variables associated with running rich. I suggest you get an AFR gauge, check your vac lines, o2 sensors, injectors.

Don't forget about your fuel pump / fuel regulator.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I am not sure why its running rich because I have not changed any routines regarding gas fuel ups. And car ran fine all the way from DFW down Big H without any problems.

When testing the O2 sensor pre cat, what ohm value am I looking for?

I will be getting Fuel line guage to test gas line psi. What are the values that I should have?

Rejckt thanks a lot for the info
Old 05-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Okay!!

Problem was solved this evening. I found a vacuum leak at the rear intake manifold just below the Intake Air Temp sensor. I sprayed water mist on the entire engine bay until I heard the funny sucking noise and slight hesitation on the engine when the water was sprayed. Well the car is back in business. Best part of all this is that I did not have to spend any big $$$ on O2 sensors,fuel pump, coilpacks or have to remove the SC'er

CEL light is off and the boost is back to work. No codes were recorded on my scan tool half hour drive on the hwy.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Glad to hear that its running good now
Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
Dude wtf... You don't spray water! Use TB cleaner or something!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Dude wtf... You don't spray water! Use TB cleaner or something!
Really!! I dont think I would like to spray flammable chemicals on my hot engine and take the chance to burn down my car in the process. Water mist will vaporized instantly due to the heat and for sure not have my engine/car go up in flames.

BTW, I used a spray bottle to mist the engine hoses and not my garden hose on full blast spray. So no drowning of the engine occured.

Nothing sweeter that hearing the purring of my SC engine again.