Question about paint work

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Health's Angels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about paint work

I have a flaw in my clearcoat that has caused it to chip away. The paint underneath is undamaged and the chip was about the size of a dime. Acura is fixing it under warranty ( :cheer: to precision Acura for looking after me).

When I took it to the body shop for a look, the painter flicked off about anouth 3-4 sq inches of clearcoat. The flaw is on the roof panel above the psgr door - the panel extends unbroken across both windows, and all the way to the back of the car. Anyhoo, the painter says he can't blend clearcoat, so they will sand the chipped area down to the primer, and repaint the whole panel silver, then clearcoat the who panel again! All for a little wee chip!

I forgot to ask him, will they have to sand down the whole area, or will they just paint over top of the undamaged clearoat? Also, should I not wax it for a while? They said if I drop it off in the morning I can drive it home after work on account of the paint being "baked" (??) on. Does that sound OK?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went through this process cause there were some acid rain spots on my hood, roof and trunk. Dealer had the car sent out to be repainted (just those areas) before I took delivery. I went down to the shop, cause I wanted to make sure he could blend the color (black) properly or if it was worth me to add some money and have the whole car repainted.

He went through this baking process. Basically the clear coat is softer, takes longer to harden/dry. So they literally place the car in this huge room and bake it for however long.

I was also warned not to wax the car for at least 90days as there is a curing process where its still safe to drive. I guess regular air aids in hardening the coat.

Car came out perfect as far as I can tell.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:37 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
this is the situation where that gimmick package they try to sell you comes in handy. It's basically a paint and interior warranty. We were offered it for cost on my girls accord so I thought i'd give it a shot knowing the protection they put on is worthless and it's really just wortht he warranty.

Had a nice birdshit ont he hood, they are repainting the hood for us, just got our money back right there
Old 10-22-2004, 10:39 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
they will scuff the undammaged clear so that the new paint and clear will adhear to it, and u cal blend clear coat. u use a blending clear thinner
Old 10-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Health's Angels

Thanks guys. I hate walking into a shop and not having a clue about 50% of what the guys says.

I'm going to add some of my own $$ to it, and get the painter to fix up the clearcoat under the sunroof visor. I'll be glad to take that off. Hmmm... maybe get him to paint my mudguards and side mirrors too?
Old 10-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had my quarter panel repaired/repainted, they told me not to wax/polish for 90 days.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Health's Angels

follow up:

Dropped the car off at 8am, it was ready by 4pm, paint matches 100% accurate. Minor gripe about a sliver of overspray on the black around the window, but I think this will come off with an old toothbrush.

Bad news, I took the sunroof visor off to see if they could buff out the marks. They did a very good job, but there is a still a definite outline of where the rubber seal has made contact with the clear coat. I stopped short of repainting the roof and decided to just re-install the visor in the spring..maybe by that time I will be used to the outline?

Nice to see Acura warrantying the paint work, no hassles whatsoever.