Question about hitting best times at the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 01:36 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about hitting best times at the track

In regard to the post earlier by satellite 23, I was wondering what the best way to drive at the track is.

I hit 14.7 by doing the following:

While in sportshift brake torque until about 2000rpm

Release brake and going full throttle immediately and hold it there. (No problem with traction, slight wheelspin)

Then, I run 2nd right to 7000rpm and then shift just in time to miss the rev limiter.

My questions are the following to try and better my times:

1. Does brake torqueing have an advantage over just slamming the gas at the green?

2. Would shifting manually from d1-d2-d3 give better times?

3. Does running the gear all the way to just before fuel shutoff get better times then shifting right when you hit redline?--some cars that run out of breath high in the rpms might benefit from earlier shifts, slthough our car doesn't run out of breath one bit.

4. Anyone remember how people's times compared when they left it in D5 the whole way and let the car shift?

I'm just looking for the best way to knock a tenth off to get me into the 14.6's by just changing driving style.

I already beleive that by running with less gas (I had 2/3 or more of a tank, and getting rid of the jack, spare etc, will probably get me there, so maybe I can get inot the 14.5's overall. Oh yeah, and by running at a track without a slight uphill slope.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
1) Yes. The quicker the engine revs the better your runs will be. I launch as the revs are moving up. i've found that works better than rev'ing and holding at a certain rmp and it's a bit easier on the tranny.

2)it's been my experince that the 1>2>d3 method works best

3)if holding a gear that long will put the next gear in vtec then yes.

4)nope
Old 11-21-2001, 02:13 PM
6 speed...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question about hitting best times at the track

Originally posted by JZ
In regard to the post earlier by satellite 23, I was wondering what the best way to drive at the track is.

4. Anyone remember how people's times compared when they left it in D5 the whole way and let the car shift?

I already beleive that by running with less gas (I had 2/3 or more of a tank, and getting rid of the jack, spare etc, will probably get me there, so maybe I can get inot the 14.5's overall. Oh yeah, and by running at a track without a slight uphill slope.
I've run 14.8s using d5. tank was full, spare/jack were in the trunk, and my car is completely stock.

what track are you running at that has an uphill slope between the staging lights and the timing lights?!??
Old 11-21-2001, 02:36 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U r either lucky or have a good track or Temprature was too low!

Few are south of 15s and a lot are in 15s+.