Proof our car's paint ain't worth shite :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 07:55 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SilverBullet
I have a friend that has been detailing cars for 10 years, and he said that was not wear or tear. The way it was stripped by the angle, was a device like a high-speed buffer got in there and stripped the paint off.

Paint does not stick as well to plastic as it does to metal. That is why its not recommended to buff over platic areas. Plus you can melt those areas.

Does the rubber around your trunk in any way look shiny, or burnt a little in some areas? The buffer would cause this also if held too long. Or the rubber around the doors?

If it was a chemical, it would have taken paint off in other places and also discolor the plastic on the tail lights.
already made an appointment to head on back this afternoon, and we can examine closely the trunk, the doors, the hood, and other crevases (sp?)

will keep u apprised
Old 10-17-2002, 08:02 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Shawn S
Scooter,

If you admit that you never cleaned that area, it’s possible that 2-years worth of dirt, grease, winter road salt, acid rain, and other road grime has been sitting there all this time eating away at the paint.
Maybe when they hit it with the polishing wheel it finally broke loose.
yes, i admit i never really cleaned that area...my fault entirely...i know water would sit there after washing, just like in the runoff area

so no, i don't think it's my detailer's fault...i think it's my fault
Old 10-17-2002, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I may be way off here, but it almost looks like it was masked (with tape) and the paint came off with the tape. I looked at that same spot on my own car and I'm having a hard time picturing a high-speed buffer getting down in there enough to do that without taking paint off the higher areas.

I'm not saying something's not up...whatever the reason, paint shouldn't come off that easily.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

again

its not the quality of paint. its the quality of the material that they spray it on

for example go get a piece of soft rubber and paint it that shit will come off ASAP now go get some hard rubber and paint it it will stick better. our cars exteriors are soft not as soft as a kia or mitsubishi but its the reason why our paint wont stick!

sidemarker
Old 10-20-2002, 10:43 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Pappy
Hmmmmmmm, I was just thinking...how come no one complains about paint on car that was made in Japan?
Probably different paint. You know how you see all those domestics running around with the paint flaking off? It's a paint change the EPA mandated. I believe it's water based, so it's better for the environment. I think NA has tougher environment laws than most countries.

But, is all that flaking paint going back into the environment good?
Old 10-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Pro

Originally posted by jimcol711
i can attest to the shitty paint...my car has 8800 miles on it, its nighthawk black pearl, and the hood has TONS of inexcusable chips....i bought the bra, and that DEFINATELY helps reduce te chips, but its a pain in the ass to take off and put back on, and now ive taken it off for the winter season so im sure to get a shitload more chips....the paint is bad....period.....its WAY to easy to leave swirl marks in the paint too....in the sun, when clean, my car looks garbage because you can see swirl marks EVERYWHERE...the only time my car looks AWESOME is when its clean, waxed, and in the shade.
I don't think it's because of a crappy paint job, It's because Acura doesn't put as many coats on when they paint (compared to domestic vehicles).

It takes a big ass rock to chip the paint on my truck to primer (not sure if I even have a stone chip), our black '01 CLS looked like hell from rock chips. Oh well..... If you drive fast, nobody can see them...