Problem w/ Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Problem w/ Navigation

I just got back from having my windows tinted and my navi isn't working properly.

It all started when I picked up my car at the tinting shop. I got in the car and when I turned on the ignition the screen that came up was one with 5 or so boxes showing the Antenna----Navi Unit-----NavECU----Monitor---AC all connected by lines basically showing the status of the entire system. They are all GREEN and it says the system is working OK.

In the upper right hand of the screen is the RETURN button and when pressed takes you to the diagnostic Main Menu. (or so I’m guessing cuz I’ve never gone into this mode before) I didn't change any values or anything like that, but I did run a diagnostic and everything is coming back fine. Now on this Menu is another RETURN button in the upper right hand corner and when pressed the screen goes blank and then returns to the first screen I described with the 5 boxes.

While driving home I kept hitting the RETURN button once to get into the main diagnostic menu and then a second time to try and get out of diagnostic mode. After 3 or 4 times of doing this, it then returned to the normal screen when you first start it up, the one with the Earth and Stars and "Acura Navi etc." logo on it. So the system booted up fine and I watched as it followed me home perfectly as it had be doing so for 2 weeks now. When I almost reach my house however it for whatever reason goes back into the diagnostic loop.

I have a feeling its gonna be going to the dealer however I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?
Old 03-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this happened to me

your navi will be screwed up for the next 2 weeks. once the tint dries then the navi should work properly. once in awhile my navi acts up though...

sidemarker
Old 03-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Race Director

Received 899 Likes on 545 Posts
Chap

Where did you get the tint done?
Old 03-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by sidemarker
this happened to me

your navi will be screwed up for the next 2 weeks. once the tint dries then the navi should work properly. once in awhile my navi acts up though...

sidemarker
Wow really? Sidemarker about how often is once in awhile? I'm feeling a little bit better. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Beelzebub
Chap

Where did you get the tint done?
I just got it back from "Car Tunes" in Farmingdale on 110. I got 20% on the rear and 35% on the 4 side windows. It really came out well. They didn't tint the upper portion where the dot matrix is but it all blends together quite well.

I was very happy until i stepped into the car and the Navi was all out of whack. As I sat there visions of one of the guys in the shop fu*king with the navi in diagnostic mode flew through my head and i was PISSED. Good thing I didn't start throwing accusations around. :o
Old 03-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

I hope they didn’t install METALLIC tint on your rear window.

If they did you’re FAWKED because it’s probably blocking the signal from being received by the antenna under the read parcel shelf.

Shawn S
Old 03-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by sidemarker
your navi will be screwed up for the next 2 weeks. once the tint dries then the navi should work properly.
I never heard of that.

Why would air bubbles or wet glue effect a signal?

Shawn S
Old 03-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Race Director

Well I got into the car this morning and the Navi started perfectly and continued to work all day. I'm not exactly sure what happened but i'll wait and see if it acts up again. For now its back to normal and the tint was well worth it.

Originally posted by Shawn S
I hope they didn’t install METALLIC tint on your rear window.
No I was aware of the problems this could cause and I made sure they didn't use that.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S
I never heard of that.

Why would air bubbles or wet glue effect a signal?

Shawn S
well i have the metalic tint on the rear window and my navi was screwed up for 2 weeks straight. thats also how long it took for my tint to dry cause i got it done during the winter season.

so i just assume that its even worse when the tint is still wet...

sidemarker
Old 03-23-2003, 06:32 PM
cor
MR O'NEAL

yea.. i was about to ask about metallic tint but then i saw everyone else already replied with that
(metallic tint can also fuck up Radar detectors, but it looks hella tight!!)