Problem with Stock CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:37 AM
It's Always Shabbat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Stock CD Player

All,

My stock CD player (01 CLS) no longer feeds or ejects cds. I hit 'LOAD', wait for the LCD to flash 'LOAD, and then when I stick the CD in, it doesn't take.

Trying to get my CDs out (ones that are already in), the LCD flashes 'ErrE1' or something like that (I can find out pretty easily by going to my car).

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks for the help,
-Elliot
Old 08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a new one?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
It's Always Shabbat

Oh, and by the way -- a new 6 disc in-dash costs $804. So, please, please, try to help me :-) It'll easily be over $1000 with labor -- this is ridiculous.

-Elliot
Old 08-15-2005, 11:54 AM
It's Always Shabbat

Originally Posted by kevin79925
get a new one?
The laser is not the problem -- it's the load/unload mechanism that needs to be adjusted/fixed. There must be a way to do this without replacing the entire unit.

Please be realistic.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:55 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin79925
get a new one?
I think he wants to know how to get his CD's out.

Take it to the dealer and let them open it up, or if you want a new CD player take this on out and smash till your CD"s are visable

Edit: Screw getting a new 6 disc changer, just get an aftermarket unit with MP3 capability. You can get ~10 discs on 1 in MP3 format for under 300
Old 08-15-2005, 11:59 AM
It's Always Shabbat

Originally Posted by spdy0001
I think he wants to know how to get his CD's out.

Take it to the dealer and let them open it up, or if you want a new CD player take this on out and smash till your CD"s are visable

Edit: Screw getting a new 6 disc changer, just get an aftermarket unit with MP3 capability. You can get ~10 discs on 1 in MP3 format for under 300

Actually, I have all my discs out. I got them out by sticking a thin pencil in and tilting the disc downward while hitting eject. But now I'd like to fix the player so I can seemlessly insert and eject cds, like it used to be operate.

Perhaps a way to lubricate or clean the mechanism that loads/ejects the discs?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Did you put CD-R'd with lables in it?? I did, it got stuck. I notice that it doesn't seem to work as good as it used to since then. That's ok with me though cause I'd like to put a DVD/Navi unit in there eventually.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:14 PM
It's Always Shabbat

Originally Posted by chriskh
Did you put CD-R'd with lables in it?? I did, it got stuck. I notice that it doesn't seem to work as good as it used to since then. That's ok with me though cause I'd like to put a DVD/Navi unit in there eventually.

Nope -- I've put CD-Rs in there, but none with labels. Literally, none.

Good thought.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Elliot, I think the reason why everyone is posting "just get another deck," weather a factory one or not, is that these issues are not commonlyn solved by doing a bit of labor on the existing unit.

If you were to take it in to a dealer to have it fixed, they'd charge your the price of a new unit.

Here the best suggestion I can give you: take the device our of your car, and bring it to a specialized electronics repair shop... preferably an authorized Bose dealer. Ask them if they can fix it. If that doesn't work, you may have to bite the bullet and replace the unit. Good luck man!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:33 PM
I need FI

same thing is currently happening to me. I hit it a couple of times to make the cd's come out and it used to work like a charm, but now, nothing works except the am/fm radio and tape deck
Old 08-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aftermarket unit is the way to go then. i dont think it would be worth the hassle of taking out the oem and trying to take it apart to replace the loading mech.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Some of you guys need to realize that replacing the factory cd player with an aftermarket unit will actually hurt the resale value of our cars. What do you think happens to the volume up/down and skip buttons on the streering wheel?

Not only that, but it will make it tougher to sell the car because you have to sell it to someone who doesn't mind having an aftermarket deck, which looks significantly out of place in comparison to the factory unit that blends into the interior of the car seemlessly.

I wouldn't have bought my car w/o the factory system even if it had some kind of fancy ass 1000$ MP3 player in its place.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:04 PM
It's Always Shabbat

I agree 03 CLTypeS. After market, unless done "right", does not look as good. The unit is relatively large (larger than a new headunit at Best Buy, for example) and so replacing it with a different unit is unacceptable.

I'd like to have my current unit work properly -- just wish I knew what had to be done. This is so frustrating.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Patriots Fan for Life

Originally Posted by elliot
Oh, and by the way -- a new 6 disc in-dash costs $804. So, please, please, try to help me :-) It'll easily be over $1000 with labor -- this is ridiculous.

-Elliot
You can usually find the stock deck on eBay for $250-$400....keep an eye out for one.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by elliot
All,

My stock CD player (01 CLS) no longer feeds or ejects cds. I hit 'LOAD', wait for the LCD to flash 'LOAD, and then when I stick the CD in, it doesn't take.

Trying to get my CDs out (ones that are already in), the LCD flashes 'ErrE1' or something like that (I can find out pretty easily by going to my car).

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks for the help,
-Elliot
This is a common problem... do a search. I had this same issue and it is software related. Certain compinations of things can "reset" it. My dealer was useless and wanted to sell me a reconditioned unit. The trick that worked for me most of the time was power up the unit while holding the eject button. Others have had success with other approached. Do a search!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by goredcar
This is a common problem... do a search. I had this same issue and it is software related. Certain compinations of things can "reset" it. My dealer was useless and wanted to sell me a reconditioned unit. The trick that worked for me most of the time was power up the unit while holding the eject button. Others have had success with other approached. Do a search!
I have the same problem, it usually resets after a day or 2, especially when the temp changes, that helps a lot.
also, alternating load and eject buttons while going from ACC to Ignition with the key works sometimes. I don't use label CDs, only blank CD-Rs.
Leaving one CD spot empty helps at times, but it does seem kinda random.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03 CL TypeS
Some of you guys need to realize that replacing the factory cd player with an aftermarket unit will actually hurt the resale value of our cars. What do you think happens to the volume up/down and skip buttons on the streering wheel?

Not only that, but it will make it tougher to sell the car because you have to sell it to someone who doesn't mind having an aftermarket deck, which looks significantly out of place in comparison to the factory unit that blends into the interior of the car seemlessly.

I wouldn't have bought my car w/o the factory system even if it had some kind of fancy ass 1000$ MP3 player in its place.
there are ways to make an aftermarket HU blend into the interior pretty well. have you seen streeteffectz's work? they make it look like the kenwood ddx8017 was oem to begin with. you're telling me that you'd rather have the crappy stock HU than that? there is also a way to integrate the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket HU btw. the stock HU is just crap...i mean it seems like the "ERR-E1" message is a widespread problem. if you really want to keep the stock HU though, just use it as a single disc player and don't put multiple cd's in. that way, it cuts down on the chance of it jamming up. my stock HU has been giving me a lot of problems lately with the "ERR-E1" message. i can sometimes get it to load and sometimes not. i've already done an led mod to my interior, so as soon as i have enough money, i'll be getting the kenwood ddx8017 and it'll match the interior lights perfectly. good luck with fixing your HU though elliot...personally, for the price of either replacing it or fixing it i'd rather go with a nice aftermarket one.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:22 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts
I agree, gotta keep it OEM.

If not online, junkyard? You could even (maybe?) get a newer used 1, like an '02?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03 CL TypeS
Elliot, I think the reason why everyone is posting "just get another deck," weather a factory one or not, is that these issues are not commonlyn solved by doing a bit of labor on the existing unit.

If you were to take it in to a dealer to have it fixed, they'd charge your the price of a new unit.

Here the best suggestion I can give you: take the device our of your car, and bring it to a specialized electronics repair shop... preferably an authorized Bose dealer. Ask them if they can fix it. If that doesn't work, you may have to bite the bullet and replace the unit. Good luck man!
i think the HU is made by pioneer not bose...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
I would only replace it with OEM if I plan to sell car soon. If you are planing to keep your car for a very long time, it does not matter much if you have a stock unit or after market. I am sure you can put something after market that looks nice and fits well.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Patriots Fan for Life

I just traded in my Accord and it had an aftermarket deck in it which left the steering wheel controls useless and it didn't hurt my trade in value at all. So it's just up to you and what your taste is.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:54 PM
FWD tuna boat

Originally Posted by carpediem_79
I just traded in my Accord and it had an aftermarket deck in it which left the steering wheel controls useless and it didn't hurt my trade in value at all. So it's just up to you and what your taste is.
but there is a conversion for the steering wheel controls. my friend installed a new pioneer touch screen in his deville and had the conversion installed. works perfectly.

i cannot live without the steering wheel controls.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Out of all the cars I've owned (and it's been a bunch), If I replaced the HU, I have always put the factory deck back IN the car before trading it in or selling it except once. The one time I didn't was my Suby Impreza. I left a Sony MD player HU w/ 10 cd changer in it because they told me they'd give me $500 more for the car if I did. I say if you need to replace it go aftermarket but keep it clean (don't cut shit up) so you can put it back if need be. On the other hand, I do tend to agree with 03 CL typeS regarding looks. OEM looks much better 9 out of 10 times. However, it will, in no way, hurt your resale.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by andre
i cannot live without the steering wheel controls.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Exclamation

I don't know about your loading problem but I know if you burn your own Cd's and make a label for them then try to use them in your CL changer, they may not come out or jam in their.
I loaded a few home made ones with labels and the player would moan and groan for a while then either give me the same error code or eject them. Since that experience, no more CD's with home made labels stuck on them go in that changer cause they may not come out.