Price at auction on 02 CL-S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Corpretty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price at auction on 02 CL-S?

Hello all! Just found this site today and i'm glad it's here... hopefully someone can help me.

I work with a lot of auto dealers so now that i am looking for a new car I asked one of them to try to find me an 02 CL-S at auction.

My specifications:
Exterior: San Marino Red or Eternal Blue Pearl

Interior Color: Parchment (Beige)

Options:
Factory installed rear spoiler
Navigation system, add $500 if they find one

Mileage: Not to exceed 45,000

With my trade I figure i'll have to roll over about $4K and I don't want the total bill to come to more than $21K

So basically the cost of the car and finders fee can't go over about $17K. A little more will be ok but not much.

The question is... am I crazy? Or should i be able to get what i want for that amount?

Any input or suggestions are appreciated... and lets hope it happens soon!

Thanks in advance and i'm glad to be here.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Count Dracura]

The question is... am I crazy? Or should i be able to get what i want for that amount?

QUOTE]

I think you should be, the only challenge will be finding one with the miles you want.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the board!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:25 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not really sure about an 02 CL-S, but I do have some experience with dealer auctions.

If you can, wait untill the end of the year. That's when dealers will let their cars go for less because they do not want to pay the taxes on the car for the following year. I bought my first gen at an auction through a friend who has his dealer license. I got the car for almost $2K less than my limit, which was already low.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

Aegean blue is the color on the CLS but you won't find that with the parchment interior (at least not on a CLS). Aegean Blue Pearl only came with an ebony interior. San Marino Red came with a choice of ebony or parchment thp'.

I bought the SMR because I couldn't get the parchment interior w/ the Blue. I would have had a hard choice between red w/ parchment and blue w/ parchment, so I guess it made my decision easier.

There have been reports of higher mileage (over 45K) 01 CL's going at auction for $10-12k. I'm not in the auction business, so I don't know for sure what CL's are going for. I think the trade in value of my 03 6spd is between $18K and $22K w/ 25K miles, so your figure of $17K should be in the ballpark.

Oh, I think there was a Montery blue at some point, but I think that was on the CLP...
Old 10-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Banned

At an auction you should be able to come close to 17K probably alittle more. I was at an Auction here in S Florida 01 CLS/ non navi with 50Kmiles + where selling for $10-$12K

But rememeber, CA might be a different market then in S Florida, so i dont know how the market is there for a CLS
Old 10-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I got my 01 CL-S (non-navi) from a dealer only auction in Pennsylvania back in February for $15,000 with almost 40k miles on it. They had about 45 CL's there, mostly Type S, and mostly 01's, some 02's. They were all being sold by Honda Financing Corp. as off-lease vehicles. I have to say, they were all around the 40k mark, but most of them were in shit condition, inside and out. I got lucky as I found one that was in great condition (except for a few minor dings and scratches, which is understandable for a car with that many miles). My advice to you would be this: if you go to the auction and you see they have most of the CL's grouped to go through the auction lanes at the same time, try and find one thats not part of that group. My CL wasn't grouped with the rest, so it went through the auction block about and hour after all the rest of the CLs did. At that time anybody interested in a CL had already left, and so I got mine for a few grand cheaper than the shitty ones that went before it cause there was nobody there to bid on it. My guess is alot of the '02 off lease vehicles will be showing up at auctions soon, so you'll have alot of cars to choose from. Good luck!