Power steering whine in CLS and replaced pump...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering whine in CLS and replaced pump...

I had my power steering pressure hose replaced a few weeks ago and after that the fluid would just burp out of my reservoir all over along with bubbles like crazy. I replaced the pump and flushed it with Honda fluid. As I drove away (5 miles) and parked, it was so quiet. An hour later I started the car and the whine started again. It since has been parked because I'm getting the tranny done. It is not leaking and there are a few bubbles in the reservoir. Any idea what could cause the air or do I just need to drive it when I get it back?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
Well the noise u are hearing is either lack of fluid inside the pump. Or its the bearing going. I would be more inclined to say it is lack of fluid. The bubbles means the system still has air being pushed out of it.

However I cannot say whether or not it will get better with driving it or not.

Was the power steering pump messed with at all? If u tighten it at all too tight it will mess the bearing up and be loud.

When I changed the pulley on my ps pump I almost mangled the pump when reinstalling it simply by tightening the tension a hair too much. Luckily i knew why it happened and backed it off only one turn and it went away... They are very very finicky.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
Well the noise u are hearing is either lack of fluid inside the pump. Or its the bearing going. I would be more inclined to say it is lack of fluid. The bubbles means the system still has air being pushed out of it.

However I cannot say whether or not it will get better with driving it or not.

Was the power steering pump messed with at all? If u tighten it at all too tight it will mess the bearing up and be loud.

When I changed the pulley on my ps pump I almost mangled the pump when reinstalling it simply by tightening the tension a hair too much. Luckily i knew why it happened and backed it off only one turn and it went away... They are very very finicky.
I do not know if the pump was the original problem, I just had it changed with an OEM pump. Is there that red o-ring that could be causing the problem?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Not sure what u are referring to.. I did it a couple years ago, my memory is not that fresh on this subject.

U just said u had the pump changed... So it had to be tightened and thus it may have been over tightened. But either way the fluid should be flowing through it without bubbles.

I think something has been overlooked. Maybe there is something blocking flow in the new line? I could have had a cap on it to keep debris out before installation and was not removed.

If fluid is literally spewing out of the reservoir there must be a blockage and when the pump pushes the fluid it's got nowhere to go but out.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Not sure what u are referring to.. I did it a couple years ago, my memory is not that fresh on this subject.

U just said u had the pump changed... So it had to be tightened and thus it may have been over tightened. But either way the fluid should be flowing through it without bubbles.

I think something has been overlooked. Maybe there is something blocking flow in the new line? I could have had a cap on it to keep debris out before installation and was not removed.

If fluid is literally spewing out of the reservoir there must be a blockage and when the pump pushes the fluid it's got nowhere to go but out.
The fluid was coming out of the res, but not now since I changed the pump. Fluid is good, just a few bubbles in res. Just the whine.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

try lessening the tension on the ps pulley. But id say its the bearing... This is a brand new unit or rebuilt or used part?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Intermediate

try lessening the tension on the ps pulley. But id say its the bearing... This is a brand new unit or rebuilt or used part?
I will try that. It is a used pump with 30K miles. I wonder if the power steering pressure hose (brand new) has a cap on one of the ends causing the fluid not to fully flow?