power steering fluid is low again

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering fluid is low again

Anyone know why or have had any problem with power steering fluid being low. I have filled it up twice in the last two months.
No known leaks under car.
Thanks Ron
Old 09-14-2002, 11:49 PM
Pro

i had this same exact problem like a month or so ago.

mine was a really slow leak. is it enought hat u notice a difference in the steering of the car? my dealer changed the pump first but then it kept happening. i noitced my leak cause my car sits for days at a time. finaly they changed out the entire steering rack. no probs since.

if u wanna diag the prob urself before u go to the dealer i've gound that strategically placed paper napkins around each hose attachment point. this has always revealed the culprit for me.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:12 AM
Registered Member

I know with my TL-S and my mom's TL and my GF SC400 that most of the time the power steering fluid will over flow. For the TL, i observed that it overflows and not leak, it will just over top the cap, and just drip down to the metal frame beneth it. My GF car will just overflow like crazy, every 2 day we would have to refill it , but took to shop and they did something.

I personally don't think it's a leak, most people buy a "fluid cover", it absorbs any fluid that over flows, it's basically a sock or a one of those "sweat rist band things" that the tennis players use and u just slip it over the power steering . Usually JDM stuff, expensive as hell, would rather get a sockLink to expensive sock
Old 09-15-2002, 05:19 AM
Pro

ok but y does it overflow? isn't that what the revoir is for?
rjmc48 can u give more details as to what the symptoms are? what happens when its low? how low does it get how often? is there fluid in the engine bay? have u jacked up the car to take a peek underneath?
Old 09-15-2002, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear

power steerying is low

Originally posted by acuraboy
ok but y does it overflow? isn't that what the revoir is for?
rjmc48 can u give more details as to what the symptoms are? what happens when its low? how low does it get how often? is there fluid in the engine bay? have u jacked up the car to take a peek underneath?
Haven't seen any fluid on garage floor or anything on engine.
But I noticed that after I topped off the the resivoir and started the engine, the fluid in the resivoir was jumping around like it was gurgling. Maybe this is normal. Any input.
Thank Ron
Old 09-15-2002, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

I had a similiar problem with my 2000 TL -- the fluid simply began to disappear. I parked it in the same spot for months trying to find any leaks and never found one drop. The dealer simply refilled the reservoir and it never happened again.

Also, with the car on, the power steering pump is spinning so the fluid in the reservoir will move around.. that's normal.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: power steerying is low

Originally posted by rjmc48
Haven't seen any fluid on garage floor or anything on engine.
But I noticed that after I topped off the the resivoir and started the engine, the fluid in the resivoir was jumping around like it was gurgling. Maybe this is normal. Any input.
Thank Ron
When you said you "topped it off", did you mean you fill it to the recommended level or really top it off? If you topped it off, it will cause overflow. Fill between the recommended lines.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:48 PM
4th Gear

I have a 2003 CL-S, 6-speed, with 3K miles, the other day started the car and had a grinding noise around the power steering pump. Had the car towed to the dealer and am being told there is a leak and they need to replace the power steering rack. I had no previous problems with the steering.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:58 PM
Pro

uh oh....possible trend? anyone else out there with new racks?...huh huh huh...rack