Polarg M-6 & Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polarg M-6 & Electrical Problems

A few days ago, I took in my CL-s to the Acura dealer because of an electrical problem. My headlights would not turn off even when the light switch was at "off". When I removed the key from the ignition, the headlights would remain on and then auto-shut off in 10 seconds. I spoke with some friends about this and one of them suggested, "Well maybe it's because you changed those road lamps with the higher wattage Polarg M-6". I wouldn't think that would be the cause of this electrical problem. If the lamp was really oversized, I would think the fuse (hopefully there is one) upstream from the roadlamps would blow because of overcurrent. Before taking my car into the dealer, I made sure to put back the stock roadlamp. I didn't want the dealer saying that it was because of the Polarg M-6 that this happened. However, I do think there was some overheating with these Polargs. I noticed that one of the bulbs bubbled up and it looked like it was going to burst. Has anyone else had this happen? Because of this, I had to break the bulb in order to get it out of the housing.

Anyway, I took my car into the dealer and showed them how the headlights remain on. The service guy wasn't that familiar with our cars. He said, "Well these cars have daytime running lights!" I told him to go to any of the other Acura CL-s on the dealer lot and you'll find none of them have daytime running lights (unless you're in Canada)! After convincing them that this was really a problem, I left my car at the dealer. It took them the entire day to troubleshoot. I don't know if they really found the problem because the service guy told me they would have to replace one of the electronic control units. It sucks that something like this would go badly so quickly. The car is only a couple months old!

Well when I get the car back, I'm going to order new roadlamps and see if this happens again. Hopefully, replacing the roadlamps with much higher wattage ones is not the cause of this problem. Anyone else have a similar experience or thoughts on this?

------------------
Silver CL Type S
Stock
Old 05-01-2001, 03:18 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverstarr:
A few days ago, I took in my CL-s to the Acura dealer because of an electrical problem. My headlights would not turn off even when the light switch was at "off". When I removed the key from the ignition, the headlights would remain on and then auto-shut off in 10 seconds. I spoke with some friends about this and one of them suggested, "Well maybe it's because you changed those road lamps with the higher wattage Polarg M-6". I wouldn't think that would be the cause of this electrical problem. If the lamp was really oversized, I would think the fuse (hopefully there is one) upstream from the roadlamps would blow because of overcurrent. Before taking my car into the dealer, I made sure to put back the stock roadlamp. I didn't want the dealer saying that it was because of the Polarg M-6 that this happened. However, I do think there was some overheating with these Polargs. I noticed that one of the bulbs bubbled up and it looked like it was going to burst. Has anyone else had this happen? Because of this, I had to break the bulb in order to get it out of the housing.

Anyway, I took my car into the dealer and showed them how the headlights remain on. The service guy wasn't that familiar with our cars. He said, "Well these cars have daytime running lights!" I told him to go to any of the other Acura CL-s on the dealer lot and you'll find none of them have daytime running lights (unless you're in Canada)! After convincing them that this was really a problem, I left my car at the dealer. It took them the entire day to troubleshoot. I don't know if they really found the problem because the service guy told me they would have to replace one of the electronic control units. It sucks that something like this would go badly so quickly. The car is only a couple months old!

Well when I get the car back, I'm going to order new roadlamps and see if this happens again. Hopefully, replacing the roadlamps with much higher wattage ones is not the cause of this problem. Anyone else have a similar experience or thoughts on this?

</font>
I ran new wires for my load lamps because I use the fog light switch for the Accord/TL. Its probably your best bet to be on the safe side.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 05-01-2001, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've had no problems... I would think that a fuse would pop before a control unit would cook.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X8 Competition Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 05-01-2001, 03:41 PM
Drifting

If an M-6 bubbled on you "it" is defective, and you should try to get it replaced.

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
Red CL-S, non-Nav, 35% tint, M6 driving lights, M4 map and door lights
Old 05-01-2001, 06:01 PM
Race Director

Had my M-6s for several weeks now. No problems.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 05-01-2001, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Someone had posted awhile back that the gage wire to the road lamps was standard headlight gage and would not get overloaded. fyi.....

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X8 Competition Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 05-01-2001, 06:45 PM
Advanced

I have had m6 in my lex for almost 2 years now no problems at all. They fit into the stock 5 wat parking light location.