Please help - whining/clicking while turning key

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 08:59 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help - whining/clicking while turning key

wow, a perfect time for this to happen when i need to drive home for thanksgiving in on tuesday. i stopped at texaco, got gas, and when i got back in and turned the key, i hear a loud fast clicking noise while the lights on the dash flash rapidly. sounds like the starter just spinning or something. it isn't the battery -battery is fully charged with a green eye and is able to turn on everything.

looks like this is the starter? it couldn't be the alternator can it? to me it just sounds like the starter spinning away. can anyone give me any clue what this is and how long it might take to fix it? had it towed to the nearest acura dealer 30 minutes ago (Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta)

car is a CL-S with 7300 miles

thanks a lot.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
haven't heard of anyone else on the board experiencing that problem. Wayne/Jens any ideas?
Old 11-18-2001, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
sounds to me like AMIR broke into your car and tried to install a CAI...or something
Old 11-19-2001, 01:41 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Please help - whining/clicking while turning key

Originally posted by RichS
wow, a perfect time for this to happen when i need to drive home for thanksgiving in on tuesday. i stopped at texaco, got gas, and when i got back in and turned the key, i hear a loud fast clicking noise while the lights on the dash flash rapidly. sounds like the starter just spinning or something. it isn't the battery -battery is fully charged with a green eye and is able to turn on everything.

looks like this is the starter? it couldn't be the alternator can it? to me it just sounds like the starter spinning away. can anyone give me any clue what this is and how long it might take to fix it? had it towed to the nearest acura dealer 30 minutes ago (Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta)

car is a CL-S with 7300 miles

thanks a lot.
Was the immobilizer light flashing on the dash?

One of my keys lost it's immobilizer code somehow and did the same thing when you try to start the car with it.

Luckily I had the other keys with me that day...

If it is the key, the dealer should be able to reprogram it.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an educated guess- not having heard it- it sounds like a weak battery. A common mistake many people make is that they think the battery is ok because they can turn the radio or lights on, or the hydrometer shows green. this is just not the case. You can have a weak battery or an intermitent shorted cell and the lights, horn ect work fine but the car won't crank. I takes much more power to crank the engine tha it does to turn on accessories. Might be a bad battery, or alternator- either of which is under warranty. You don't have pulleys installed or a big system, do you? We have seen charging system problems with those on at times. Either way- your dealer should be able to help- Have a safe and happy trip!:
Old 11-19-2001, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i say look for a CANADIAN born middle eastern young man in your engine compartment... i think you'll find that with whinning a n clicking thatll be the problem...
Old 11-19-2001, 03:00 PM
Silver Bullet

I too think it's a weak battery. You can't really trust those little green ball indicators.

Old 11-19-2001, 06:06 PM
watch the weather change

Location: Houston, TX - Uhhh, now what y'all know bout them Texas boys, Comin down in candied toys, smokin wee
Originally posted by typeR
sounds to me like AMIR broke into your car and tried to install a CAI...or something
LOL...