please help, hearing sounds from front right wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 07:09 AM
I need FI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help, hearing sounds from front right wheel

when I turn left, I hear a small "TOCK" sound coming from the front right wheel...

what do you guys think it is? wheel bearing?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Sounds like CV joint.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:34 AM
I need FI

CV joint?? what's that abreviation stand for? what is it and what is it worth $$ ?
Originally Posted by chriskh
Sounds like CV joint.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm here in spirit...

I have no clue what it stands for. A CV joint connects the drive shaft to the wheel. If you turn the front wheels to one direction or the other, all the way, you will see a small boot on the end of the drive shaft where it meets the hub on the back side of the wheel/tire assembly. The CV joint is inside this boot. When they wear out, they start making a popping sound or as you described it, a "Tock" sound. Your sig says you have 50K on her? Is that current? CV joints go bad like anything else and they take a lot of abuse especially if you like to step on the gas hard a lot. It also adds abuse if you do that AND your car is lowered like your sig says. Depending on the car, they can be relatively inexpensive to repair but I've heard they are pricy to repair on the CL, 2nd Gen. $.02
Old 08-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Constant velocity joint.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by paulff3
Constant velocity joint.
Learn something new every day!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:58 AM
I need FI

I have no clue what it stands for. A CV joint connects the drive shaft to the wheel. If you turn the front wheels to one direction or the other, all the way, you will see a small boot on the end of the drive shaft where it meets the hub on the back side of the wheel/tire assembly. The CV joint is inside this boot. When they wear out, they start making a popping sound or as you described it, a "Tock" sound. Your sig says you have 50K on her? Is that current? CV joints go bad like anything else and they take a lot of abuse especially if you like to step on the gas hard a lot. It also adds abuse if you do that AND your car is lowered like your sig says. Depending on the car, they can be relatively inexpensive to repair but I've heard they are pricy to repair on the CL, 2nd Gen. $.02
Right.... but wouldn't the "tock" sound be heard constantly, whether I turn or not?? I mean, this sound ONLY occurs when I turn left!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm here in spirit...

No, you wouldn't hear it all the time if it just started. You would only hear it when turning. As the problem progresses and it WILL get worse, you will hear it more and more. It will start doing it when you step on the gas going in a straight line. Personally, if it's CV joints actually making the noise, I would ignore it until it starts getting worse. I can handle an occasional pop sound for awhile but when it starts goin' "pop! pop! pop! pop!" as I'm turning into my driveway or a parking lot, I'd fix it. I've heard they can lock up on you when they get real bad. IMO, doesn't sound very safe to me. Dude, get it checked by the dealer or your mechanic!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 AM
I need FI

No, you wouldn't hear it all the time if it just started. You would only hear it when turning. As the problem progresses and it WILL get worse, you will hear it more and more. It will start doing it when you step on the gas going in a straight line. Personally, if it's CV joints actually making the noise, I would ignore it until it starts getting worse. I can handle an occasional pop sound for awhile but when it starts goin' "pop! pop! pop! pop!" as I'm turning into my driveway or a parking lot, I'd fix it. I've heard they can lock up on you when they get real bad. IMO, doesn't sound very safe to me. Dude, get it checked by the dealer or your mechanic!
I already took an appointment. I'm bringing the car in tomorrow at the dealer. Hope its not my new suspension that took a beating
Old 08-18-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm here in spirit...

I'd put money on the CV joints
Old 08-18-2005, 10:42 AM
I need FI

I'd put money on the CV joints
my paypal account is prevostbernard@hotmail.com, you can send the money there.

hehe

No seriously, I hope you're right since I don'T want them to take 7 hours just trying to find where it comes from. And I also hope CV joints are covered under warranty