Pitfalls of s/c'ing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitfalls of s/c'ing

Here's abit of info for those of you who are boosted. This is abit of edited info I sent to a member reguarding a rear oil seal leak.

OK buddy, the pcv valve may be ok, but the problem is with the other hose that comes off the other, or front valve cover. The hose that Comptech supplied is too short. Basically, your crank case turns into a pressure cooker under boost.
The hose that Comptech supplied has to make an abrupt 90 degree turn upward to the pipe in front of the throttle body, since it's short, the hose gets kinked and closes up.
OK so that hose is plugged and the pcv valve is working.
Here's where things get interesting. The pcv valve will allow boost to escape from the intake manifold in a backwards flow into the crank case. Now there is nowhere for the pressure to go accept through the weak points in your crank case, the seals.

So basically the problem is caused by a hose that is supplied by Comptech that is too short for the application.

Don't feel bad though, I changed two seals before I figured out what was going on.

There are also some other places where a significant amount of boost is lost, causing diminished response and less boost overall. The egr valve and the intake air bypass control lines.

Keep in mind that the car wasn't designed for boost and consideration should be given to diminish any possible loses of boost.

End rant I am going to post some of this to benefit any others who are having the same problem.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:26 AM
i use the search button

thats some good info, thanks for pointing out a future problem for some of us
Old 02-14-2006, 12:27 AM

If you guys can get the dealer to cover the work under warranty, great ! Just remeber to fix that hose. I bought a breather filter and attached it to the hose, and plugged the port on the pipe.
The seals once they are blown and leaking oil, will need to be replaced unfortunatly.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:27 AM
Pro

Hey Chemmech, can you post a pic and show what you did with hoses?
Old 02-18-2006, 06:46 PM

OK, I actually have a breather filter off of the front valve cover hose and the rear valve cover hose runs through my egr valve to a fiiting right behind the throttle body. The breather filter ensures that I will never again blow my rear main seal, and the other hose is run thrugh the egr valve to simulate flow through it so it doesn't throw a code.

I'd post a pic, but as I've said before, I suck at teh Internet stuff.