Pissed at local dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 05:13 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pissed at local dealership

I'm really annoyed!

I bought my car at Smithtown Acura and have brought it there for several services. For the most part, I'm happy with them - except when the technician wrote "customer should expect some noise when driving with the window open" in response to a complaint I *STILL* have about my right window.

Nonetheless, it's time for my 15K service. Smithtown Acura wants $375 for it. Another local dealership (Bay Shore) charges $150. However, Bay Shore won't give me a loaner car because I didn't buy from them.

What bullshit is that?

And how can the prices be so much different? I didn't ask both dealerships to list what they do for the 15K service, but it can't vary by that much.

Annoyed and about to spend $400 for the 15K service...

Rob M.
Long Island, NY
Old 07-23-2001, 05:15 PM
Dub Driver

Pay 150 at the cheaper place and rent a car yourself for 30 bucks a day. Works out better than paying 400 !

BTW, your topic sounded like you used the bathroom at the local dealership :p
Old 07-23-2001, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah the prices at Acura dealerships are ridiculous. I asked Paragon Acura in LIC about the 15k service and they want to charge $460. The 7500 mile service is $165. Its unbelievable what these dealers charge their customers for such minimal work. I asked the service manager what they do for all that money. All it is basically a oil change, tranny fluid change, rotation of tires, and inspections of various parts. He also said something about recalibrating emissions controls and other "stuff." I don't think all these things are worth $460. We drive brand new cars. We shouldn't have to spend all this money maintaining our cars.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:30 PM
nItIn

Originally posted by RobOnLI:
<STRONG>I'm really annoyed!

I bought my car at Smithtown Acura and have brought it there for several services. For the most part, I'm happy with them - except when the technician wrote "customer should expect some noise when driving with the window open" in response to a complaint I *STILL* have about my right window.

Nonetheless, it's time for my 15K service. Smithtown Acura wants $375 for it. Another local dealership (Bay Shore) charges $150. However, Bay Shore won't give me a loaner car because I didn't buy from them.

What bullshit is that?

And how can the prices be so much different? I didn't ask both dealerships to list what they do for the 15K service, but it can't vary by that much.

Annoyed and about to spend $400 for the 15K service...

Rob M.
Long Island, NY</STRONG>
Dont pay $400. First, see the differences between Smithtown & Bayshore's list of services, and then (regardless of the differences)

1) Mention to Bay Shore the bazillion other dealerships that loan cars/provide courtesy rentals if they need to keep your car for service for any length of time (2hrs+). I can provide you with a dozen phone numbers if you need.

2) Mention to Bay Shore the TLC agreement. Total Luxury Care .. doesnt mention anything about ONLY AT THE DEALERSHIP OF ORIGINAL PURCHASED

3) Remind Bay Shore about the Acura Customer Satisfaction survey & Customer Service telephone number that you will undoubtedly take advantage of if you are unsatisfied.

4) Mention to Bay Shore this website and its powerful customer base.

ps - be sure to add your feedback to the "<a href="http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003097">Good, Bad, Ugly Dealership List</a>", and feel free to print off a couple pages to keep in your back pocket.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 07-23-2001, 05:41 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Thanks all for your replies so far.

batra - LMAO!!!! I didn't even think of that (re: topic name).

I agree I can rent a car - but I'm concerned that since I didn't buy my car from Bay Shore Acura, their service will be far less than standard!

I'm a firm believer in the idea that if I were to call the service manager and demand a loaner, he'll give it to me but then tell his people to "take care" of my car, if you know what I mean.

-Rob
Old 07-23-2001, 07:15 PM
Banned

I've said it before and I'll say it again - those inspections are BS! I did the 15k service minus the inspections and it came to like $80!!!!
Old 07-23-2001, 08:08 PM
pumpkin escobar

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree, the inspections are all bullshit, they prob just open your hood and take a glance. even the service rep i talked to at radley acura told me it was bullshit. this is waht happened,..

went in for an oil change and tire rotation. the service rep asked me if i needed the 7500k service, i was due, but i told him no cuz it costs $150, when the oil change and rotation only cost me $80. I asked him what additional services were provided if i got the 7500k service, he said "nothing, besides the oil change and tire rotation". So i asked him why hte price was different, he said cuz of hte 15 pt. inspections. I then asked him if they really inspect what they say they will inspect. He just shrugged his shoulders and basically said NO! dirty dealerships suck my ass!
Old 07-23-2001, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
The 15k service is bullshit! dont do it! Look at your owners manual what they are sopposed to do. It's not worth it! If you do go ahead and do it, listen to what nabster wrote...really good advice! Also tell that dealer that you will no longer be taking any of your cars to them because they refuse a loaner car.

g
Old 07-23-2001, 08:42 PM
www.drippinwet.com

ask them whats included, there may be a difference, also lube,oil, and filter change at motorworld 21.95 + tire rotation 7.95
Old 07-24-2001, 01:03 AM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Ok, now I'm really confused.

The Acura manual says the following for the 15K service:

1. Oil change
2. Inspect front & rear brakes
3. Check parking brake adjustment
4. Inspect suspension, cooling system hoses, etc.
5. Rotate tires.

I don't need an oil change. My brakes seem ok and I don't use the parking brake.

What the hell is Smithtown charging $375 for?!

I wonder if I can bring my car in and have them just clear the maintenance light. I also need them to look at my right window.

I'm going to get my wheels rotated and balanced by WTC or something around here - and have them do my NYS inspection at the same time.

-Rob M.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:20 AM
Retired Post Whore

Wow, you are getting jacked. When I got my 15K service, the Bridgewater Acura dealership cahrged me like 175 dollars. They changed the air filter, oil & filter, rotation of tired, and transmission fluid change.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:54 PM
Banned

Huh? WTF would you do that for? Just hold the reset and setting button in for like 10 seconds, turn the car on, and continue to hold the buttons until the light goes out - viola!

Originally posted by RobOnLI:
<STRONG>
I wonder if I can bring my car in and have them just clear the maintenance light. I also need them to look at my right window.
</STRONG>
Old 07-24-2001, 12:57 PM

FUCK the dealership!

Just get the oil changed every 4K miles, and get your tires rotated every other time.

Other than that, check the fluids on your own, and don't pay for their silly services! Its a fucking ripoff for them to 'CHECK' the fluids!

The car is under warranty anyways, why are you so worried?
Old 07-24-2001, 01:36 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

AHHHH! You can reset that light yourself. I never looked into it. Thanks!!!

I'm worried because if I go to sell the car, I would have preferred to show the potential buyer that the car was serviced by Acura exclusively. But, after all is said and done, it probably makes no different whatsoever.

Rob
Old 07-24-2001, 01:42 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

different = difference
Old 07-24-2001, 07:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Rob, I agree with you on the car being serviced by Acura exclusively. But for the prices that these dealers charge, I will go to my trustworthy and reliable mechanic to service my car. With the money I save I'll use it to mod my car. I see no logical reason to pay $375 (my dealer wanted $460) to inspect my brakes, hoses, rotate my tires and recalibrate some emissions equip. The service manager wanted to sell me a $460 service that other dealers charge much much less and nothing is done to the car anyway. Then I asked the service manager why the oil change price went up, he just told me 'prices go up' sarcastically, like I was some idiot. THE LAST THING REALLY PISSED ME OFF. When I dropped the car off, I specifically told them NOT to wash the car. What happens when I pick up the car? Its washed with the front bra on. Never even bothered to take it off. So I'm pissed but what can I do, they already washed the car. Anyway, a representative from Acura called me today to ask about how my service (oil change) went. I had a long talk with her. I told how unsatisfied I was and she told me somebody will call me back. We'll see what happens.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:17 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

As long as the maintenance is done and logged, it doesn't matter who did it. I go to Park Avenue Acura for the "biggies" and to Avis Lube for the "Mini's".
Old 07-24-2001, 07:29 PM
Intermediate

Dealership service is horse-sh*t. I had to buy my car from a dealer ~100mi from where I live (which is in the stix if you couldn't tell). The sales rep and service manager said not to bother driving 100 miles every time I need service, just to try a change my oil and rotate the tires every 5k miles or so and hold on to the records. Any reputable local shop will do. Do you actually think the value of a car exclusively serviced by Acura vs. the value of one not (all other variables remaining the same) will be worth that much more? I doubt you'd break even considering the extra $$$$ spent at the dealership.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:47 PM
Race Director

You guys really need to learn to tell the difference between the service, the service work, the dealership, the service manager, and Acura.

If Big Bob's Oil Change left the dip stick off on top of the engine and all your all came out, you would be saying $75 is too cheap. Make up your &^#($*@# minds!