Performance Difference between CL-S and TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 07:43 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Difference between CL-S and TL-S

Hi there!

I have been reading the board for a while, and looking to trade in my 97 Acord for a either a CL or TL. I know the major difference is the 2 doors vs. 4 doors. What else sets the two apart as far as performance?

Please don't flame if this is something that has been covered over and over again.. I didn't see any posts on the differences..

Thank You in Advance!

-AccordN97
Old 07-18-2001, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
probalby not much else.

cl-s has 7" wide rims, tl-s 6.5", but both have same tires...but the cl-s tires can be upsized to 225/45-17.

the tl-s has a slightly longer wheelbase that some tl-s owners "claim" give it better handling, but i also remember reading that the tl-s suspension wasn't tuned as tight as the cl-s's.

and any difference in 0-60 times claimed in magazines are pretty much result of ambient conditions or "fastcar"/"slowcar" syndrome(exact same cars can still be faster or slower than each other due to allowable tolerances).

and cl-s weighs slightly less than tl-s. and tl-s holds 5 people.

oh, and tl-s gets real fog lamps.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:42 PM
Pro

they get a f*king kit!!!!

and i've heard our seats we're a bit different...supposedly more comfy, but i'm not sure...
Old 07-18-2001, 09:43 PM
5th Gear

Okay! Thanks for the Info.

What gives with the Fog Lamps! Oh well, I'd just switch out the bulbs to something better.

I thought I heard that the manual shifting (I forgot the name of this feature)on the CL-S was a little better vs the TL-S. Is this true as well?

Is it worth waiting for the 02 or trying to get 01 cheaper since they are trying to phase them out for the 02?

I keep hearing about that 02 Manual Trany.. I hope it's true or will be sometime soon. I would wait 6 months for the Manual to come out.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd wait for the manual. People are saying October is when it will be released. Some people deny. I personally believe it will happen.

The manual shifting should be the same. It's the exact same tranny.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

the seats are different in that the tl seats are also different from the cl seats. i think the tl-s seats aren't as firm as the cl-s seats though, but don't know.

the fog light thing is probably 'cuz of complaints and stuff, i think the cl will eventually get fog lamps.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AccordN97:
<STRONG>Okay! Thanks for the Info.

What gives with the Fog Lamps! Oh well, I'd just switch out the bulbs to something better.

I thought I heard that the manual shifting (I forgot the name of this feature)on the CL-S was a little better vs the TL-S. Is this true as well?

Is it worth waiting for the 02 or trying to get 01 cheaper since they are trying to phase them out for the 02?

I keep hearing about that 02 Manual Trany.. I hope it's true or will be sometime soon. I would wait 6 months for the Manual to come out.</STRONG>
i think it's up to you whether to get an 02 or 01 depending on how long you want to keep the car...if it's going to be for a while and you want to save some money, get an 01. if you want to get rid of it in 4-5 years and the resale matters, get the 02.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:53 PM
5th Gear

It's strange I can see the CL being the sporty one.. Yet it's lacking the Fog Lights, the Kit, and yet they give it to the TL...

That really doesn't make sense. I am not knocking on the TL but just from the practicality stand point... HUH?!?!

If the Manual is possibly coming out in the fall, then I'll wait.. It gives me a chance to save up some more green and have a lower CP.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mrdeeno:
<STRONG>probalby not much else.

cl-s has 7" wide rims, tl-s 6.5", but both have same tires...but the cl-s tires can be upsized to 225/45-17.

the tl-s has a slightly longer wheelbase that some tl-s owners "claim" give it better handling, but i also remember reading that the tl-s suspension wasn't tuned as tight as the cl-s's.

and any difference in 0-60 times claimed in magazines are pretty much result of ambient conditions or "fastcar"/"slowcar" syndrome(exact same cars can still be faster or slower than each other due to allowable tolerances).

and cl-s weighs slightly less than tl-s. and tl-s holds 5 people.

oh, and tl-s gets real fog lamps.</STRONG>

1. There are people over on the TL-S forum who are putting 235/45-17 rubber on their 6.5" wheels. There are also a ton of people here with 235/45-17 rubber on stock 7" rims.

2. The TLS has lighter wheels than the CLS -- this does help acceleration!

3. You are quite right about the "variations" in cars and testing. I don't see the magazines giving out the weight of their drivers -- do you?

If I were getting a second car this very moment, I would be torn between having the early availability of the stick coming for the CLS (I like to keep one car a stick and the other an auto). I also like to keep a mix of 2-door and 4-door in the house. It is a bitch, to carry stuff around in a 2-door vs. a 4-door (my opinion).

Finally, the hardest part (in choosing) is the fact that the cars are more similar than different!!!
Old 07-18-2001, 10:12 PM
Pro

Just depends on what you want. I think people already listed the biggest difference. REason we dont get a kit is because of volume sold. The TL sells better than any acura, whereas the CL is pretty slow in that department. This helps you get a fantastic deal on a CL=S though
Old 07-18-2001, 10:21 PM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the meets I've gone too, I've seen a few suttle differences such as:

CL-S has Bose tweeters on the doors, TL-S doesn't have anything.

TL-S has a combo sub woofer/co-axial I believe on the rear deck, CL-S has individual Bose 6x9's. (not completely sure on this one)

The door locks on the inside of a TL-S are round and stick up above the window sill, the CL-S have square locks that fit flush when unlocked and set-in when locked. Only matter if you like to rest your arm here lke I do.

The TL-S has a small slot in the trunk lid for a hook to hold the cover up over the spare tire, CL-S doesn't.

TL-S I believe has a different remote, but the newer CL-S's might have this by now, mine doesn't.

TL-S has different exhaust tips, they are rounder then the oval CL-S's.

TL-S has a body kit, and of course the CL-S doesn't.

There was something else that was suttle, but I can't remember. These aren't big deals, but worth noting.

DC
Old 07-18-2001, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

the cl-s doesn't have that trunk lid thing, but the handle on the trunk floor cover opens up and hooks onto the rim on the rear window side of the trunk.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Having own both (01 CL-P and 02TL-S), the other thing not mentioned is that the TL-S has outside mirrors are also auto-dimming.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: gvtire ]