PEEPS w/TRANNY PROBLEMS... Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 11:44 PM
hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PEEPS w/TRANNY PROBLEMS... Please read!

Anyone with tranny problems, did your engine ever completely die on you? My car's engine SHUT THE FUCK DOWN this A.M. during my commute. No bucking, jerking or anything like that, just went dead. It was as if I was driving a stick shift and let the revs drop too low. I was still shooting juice through the system as the display was lit up like a Christmas tree, but fortunately I was coming to a stop at a light and simply put it in park and started her right back up.

For reference, I was cruising through a school zone at 20 mph, hit the end of the zone, accelerated briskly for a quarter mile, decelerated for the light and BAM, engine dead. ANYBODY ever experienced that before?
Old 08-22-2001, 12:17 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Are you sure that this was a transmission related problem?
Old 08-22-2001, 01:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by droideka:
<STRONG>Anyone with tranny problems, did your engine ever completely die on you? My car's engine SHUT THE FUCK DOWN this A.M. during my commute. No bucking, jerking or anything like that, just went dead. It was as if I was driving a stick shift and let the revs drop too low. I was still shooting juice through the system as the display was lit up like a Christmas tree, but fortunately I was coming to a stop at a light and simply put it in park and started her right back up.

For reference, I was cruising through a school zone at 20 mph, hit the end of the zone, accelerated briskly for a quarter mile, decelerated for the light and BAM, engine dead. ANYBODY ever experienced that before?</STRONG>
Droideka,
When my tranny went south I didn't notice any of the symptons your describing. What I did notice was that the car did not want to shift into second, but when it did (which was very seldom) it then wouldn't shift into third. The final straw was when I was trying to get onto the toll road here and it didn't want to shift into second no matter what!!! Revs just kept on going up until eventually the VSA light and Check Engine light both came on at the same time. Hope it's not a transmission issue!!

Old 08-22-2001, 09:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

No.... Never had any engine issues. My trans just started to slip between 2-3rd & 3-4th.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

My dad had a 1990 Cadillac DeVille that would do the same thing. You could be driving along the highway at 60 and the engine would just shut down. The dealer attributed the problem to the transmission, but couldn't locate the cause. They finally decided it was the control module for the transmission and replaced that. No more problems.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
<STRONG>Anyone with tranny problems, did your engine ever completely die on you? My car's engine SHUT THE FUCK DOWN this A.M. during my commute. No bucking, jerking or anything like that, just went dead. It was as if I was driving a stick shift and let the revs drop too low. I was still shooting juice through the system as the display was lit up like a Christmas tree, but fortunately I was coming to a stop at a light and simply put it in park and started her right back up.

For reference, I was cruising through a school zone at 20 mph, hit the end of the zone, accelerated briskly for a quarter mile, decelerated for the light and BAM, engine dead. ANYBODY ever experienced that before?</STRONG>
droid this is the second time im telling you ...you said last time to davo i think...that it nly happened at redlights but i told you i was experiencing this strange almost like running out of gas only at low rpms many times where its bumpy road the rpms surge downward then come back up almost like engine braking feels like running out of gas...but i've never stalled...a guy at tl said he had something similar and that it was related to a part of the computer that handled low rpm fuel /timing for the car
Old 08-22-2001, 11:34 AM
Racer

My engine stalled out once after stopping at a red light too. It was about 8 months ago and it hasn't happend since. The weird thing tho... I have had other cars stall on me before and just like you said the dash lights up like a xmas tree, but if I remember correctly the one time me CL-S stalled out this didn't happen.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:49 AM
Rod
Drifting

I had no such problems prior to my tranny giving out either, take it in and have it checked out.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:52 AM
Drifting

This is not a transmission problem. Have your dealer check out/ replace your ECU..
Old 08-22-2001, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by JSuppi:
<STRONG>

Droideka,
When my tranny went south I didn't notice any of the symptons your describing. What I did notice was that the car did not want to shift into second, but when it did (which was very seldom) it then wouldn't shift into third. The final straw was when I was trying to get onto the toll road here and it didn't want to shift into second no matter what!!! Revs just kept on going up until eventually the VSA light and Check Engine light both came on at the same time. Hope it's not a transmission issue!!

</STRONG>
This is exactly what happend to me this weekend!!! Car kept slipping and then would jerk very hard into second gear. Finally VSA light and Check Engine light came on and car would not move at all. It's at the dealer right now waiting for its new transmission to come. The dealer said they had never heard of the transmissions going out on the cl's yet the trannys are on back order?????
Old 08-22-2001, 01:04 PM
Banned

I've only got about 1600 miles on my car, hence I bought it in June, and I've already began to feel some slippage between 2-3, and 3-4. Maybe I'm just overanalyzing 'cause I've seen so much talk about our tranny issues, but I have always been able to feel just about every hiccup or miss an engine throws at me, and this has been a reoccuring issue. I figure I'll drive for another week, and if problem still persists, I'll raise issue with a dealer.

I'm not too keen on the tranny back-order though. That could be quite awhile. (Maybe I'll score another RSX loaner
Old 08-22-2001, 01:16 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the heck, is evryone on this board is a certifed tech?!!!!

Hold a sec all of you, it just could be your CLS tranny engaiging/disengaging the lock-up feature. You are mostly confusing this with a tranny slippage...

I know that those who got a toasted tranny will get stuck in a gear, can't shift... so you would get a new tranny for FREE, a loaner, etc...

CLS is still a great car...
Old 08-22-2001, 01:33 PM
Banned

Oh I still agree it's the finest car I've ever driven, but I'm going to keep a keen eye out for any tranny problems and if I experience any further slippage, or the like, I will more than likely bring it up on my 7500 mi. tune. Couldn't hurt to have 'em take a look.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
<STRONG>What the heck, is evryone on this board is a certifed tech?!!!!

Hold a sec all of you, it just could be your CLS tranny engaiging/disengaging the lock-up feature. You are mostly confusing this with a tranny slippage...

I know that those who got a toasted tranny will get stuck in a gear, can't shift... so you would get a new tranny for FREE, a loaner, etc...

CLS is still a great car...</STRONG>

I completely agree that CLS is still a great car, but I am being treated like shit by Acura. They do not want to pay for anything, a rental car, my trip interruption benefits, etc.... I never said that CLS was not a good car, but I think Acura should be doing what they can to accomodate me, since it was their product that failed on a brand new car.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:35 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Call Acura Customer Service, let a District Service Manager handle you case, you will get a nice resolution of your problems...
Old 08-22-2001, 01:41 PM
Cruisin'

<STRONG>Call Acura Customer Service, let a District Service Manager handle you case, you will get a nice resolution of your problems...</STRONG>
Thanks I will do that!!!
Old 08-22-2001, 01:52 PM
Shaka

Sorry to hear about this..
Old 08-22-2001, 01:52 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Ever heard of "gear hunting" ? That is probably what your noticing. Now, when it Jerks and sticks in one gear, it's toast ! Now "smooth gear hunting" is common in our transmissions. Perhaps it could be the ECU causing wrong shifts, which the end results is a new transmission.......
Old 08-22-2001, 02:50 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by Fabvsix:
<STRONG>Ever heard of "gear hunting" ? That is probably what your noticing. Now, when it Jerks and sticks in one gear, it's toast ! Now "smooth gear hunting" is common in our transmissions. Perhaps it could be the ECU causing wrong shifts, which the end results is a new transmission....... </STRONG>
Yeah, but before my tranny gave out the gear hunting was excessive. I always drive automatics and know the difference between gear hunting and the signs of slipping, you can feel it. I agree that it has something to do with the computer though b/c there's no reason for the tranny to be hunting for gears when you've been cruising at about 50 MPH for at least 2 minutes without changing the amoutn of gas you're giving the car.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:10 PM
Retired. Not available.

sounds like an engine issue if not electrically related but not tranny problem IMO.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:35 PM
Advanced

To me it sounds like the lockup tourque converter not engaging at the right time. But then again it could be many things but I dont believe that it is the transmition itself. It could also be the Grade logic control making wrong shifts going up or downhill.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:34 PM
Advanced

<STRONG>What the heck, is evryone on this board is a certifed tech?!!!!

CLS is still a great car...</STRONG>
Just to let you know, when the tranny goes, it may not get stuck in a gear as you said!!!I had mine replaced and it was "slipping" and yes i DO know when a tranny is bad and slipping, and not that its "engaiging/disengaging the lock-up feature." Mine never got stuck in a gear as you said they will!!!!
Old 08-22-2001, 08:35 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Rod:
You have a good point. But look what is envolved that we know:
Computer chips
ECU Chip
LGC "Logic Grade Control"
Sport sequential technology
and a ton of other stuff, so who know what's up with these transmissions, but I can tell you Acura is addressing the breakdowns and providing "fixes" in the rebuilds........as the world turns......
Old 08-23-2001, 01:38 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

And last but not least: Wayne and Jens have NO comment ! I'm not surprised, as transmissions have been questioned for the past4 years with Honda, as my Accord coupe tranny went out at 78K in the last 3 months ! So I guess it runs in the Honda/Acura family. "keep your mouth shut regarding our Japanese transmissions on our American designed Acura's and Honda's".........