Passenger jack point "imploded"! Ever happen to anyone before?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Passenger jack point "imploded"! Ever happen to anyone before?

Had my car on a hydraulic jack this weekend and luckily a jack stand underneath the car when all of a sudden BOOM ... the front passenger side jack point for my car bent forward towards the passenger side of the car ...

It didn't fall off, instead of facing downwards, it now faces outwards!?! I have my car scheduled for a Thursday appt. anyways for the Timing belt tensioner recall... but I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone? I'm lucky I used a jack stand, or else the car would've probably landed on the wheel assembly since I had the tire off..

Let this be a lesson to everyone who doesn't use a jack stand ... They're very important!

BTW- Do you think this will be covered under warranty? I was the one who put the car on the jack, but I don't think the jack point should have broken like that...
Old 11-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad both you and your car are ok. i would think that that should be covered, there's no reason for those to break like that. Good luck
Old 11-12-2003, 05:07 PM
Daily Driver

If I understand this right, you had the hydraulic jack at the jack point and the jack stand somewhere else under the car.

If your hydraulic jack is like mine, it doesn't have a groove for the jack point metal piece, so that piece would have just been sitting on the hydraulic jack in that dish-shaped metal piece. I can imagine it bending I guess, though it's never happened to me. The jack point there seems like it's designed for a jack stand or the scissors jack in the trunk.

For other ideas on where to jack it from, check out:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ght=jack+point
Old 11-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Race Director

Yes absolutely it has happened to someone on here before. And you've seen him holding a big big rifle....

I would never ever get under a car, hydraulic jack, jack stands, even if you drove the wheels up on a curb. Never get up underneath a car even with four wheels on the ground.

What's the definition of a "freak accident?"
Old 11-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Racer

Originally posted by kensteele
Yes absolutely it has happened to someone on here before. And you've seen him holding a big big rifle....

I would never ever get under a car, hydraulic jack, jack stands, even if you drove the wheels up on a curb. Never get up underneath a car even with four wheels on the ground.

What's the definition of a "freak accident?"
Well said.

A relative of mine died because his car fell on him. He had done it a hundred times before, but just like ken's saying "freak accident". be careful when working on your car.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Aegean_Blue6
If I understand this right, you had the hydraulic jack at the jack point and the jack stand somewhere else under the car.

If your hydraulic jack is like mine, it doesn't have a groove for the jack point metal piece, so that piece would have just been sitting on the hydraulic jack in that dish-shaped metal piece. I can imagine it bending I guess, though it's never happened to me. The jack point there seems like it's designed for a jack stand or the scissors jack in the trunk.

For other ideas on where to jack it from, check out:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ght=jack+point
My hydraulic jack has "grooves" cut into the dish shaped metal piece so it can hold onto the jack point. I'll checkout the other jack places though, thanks for the link!
Old 11-12-2003, 06:58 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It could be the car was lifted incorrectly before at that point and your lifting was what it took to bend the metal .You might have scraped that part of the car over something bent it and not realized it and the jack finished the job? Just guessing here .I see them bent over every once in a while .Mostly if the person lifting fails to get the jack or the lift set up correctly it can cause this problem especially if it is done several times .

Jens