Paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint chips

I picked up a dozen rock chips on my hood last winter and finally got around to fixing them last night. This process is likely not blessed by the Autobody Pooh-bahs of America so if you have a rock chip expert you trust stick with them.

Get the bottle of touch-up paint and put a drop over the rock chip. The smaller the drop the better - it needs to fill the hole but generally spills over the edge. Once it dries, the paint will suck itself back into the hole, probably below the surface. The problem is the paint that overflowed the hole creates a raised edge.

Now grab a window scrapper or wallpaper scrapper with a metal razor blade. Mine has a four inch blade. Lay the blade flush with the paint surface and gently knife away the raised edge. Back and forth chipping at the raised edge worked best - don't use pressure.

I found a dull blade worked better than a sharp blade. A sharp blade can knife away the clearcoat if you are not careful. For added protection you might put scotch tape over part of the blade so less surface is exposed. (I finished before thinking of that....)

What drove me to do it myself was my experience the last time I let Acura fix a paint chip. They spent 45 minutes and then said, "sorry...we couldn't get the paint to stick". But they created a dime sized blemish where there was just a match-head sized chip!