Paint Chip Hell!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Chip Hell!

ive had my 2002 CL-S for 4 months now and upon close inspection of my hood, ive got a SHITLOAD of DEEP chips in the paint....all the way down to the metal...my car has 5000 miles on it...and at this rate, the hood will have no paint whatsoever by the time i hit 50,000....what the fuck is going on here? i know ive heard the complaints about the shitty paint, and ive got at least 5 coats of meguiars gold class on that car too, and STILL paint chips up the ass...can i bitch to a dealer and have them fix that shit or do i have to just come up with it out of pocket???
Old 06-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Powered By HONDA

i know how u feel...i have some rock/stone chips on my 2001 cls hood also..and i am sure dealer will not fix for u...so what i do is use touch up paints to cover the areas...and then after it dry..hand wash and hand wax it..if u are going for long trip..i suggest u buy a bra or 3M clear bra for your hood ..i have full bra for my cls and wheneve i go for a long trip.i will put it on..as soon as i arrive the destination..i tear it down... just to eliminate the stone chips.....
Old 06-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Racer

Man... I feel for you. I had that problem with my 97 accord after I was in a collision and I guess the body shop that did the repairs didn't cure the paint right or something. I seriously had about 20-30 chips all the way down to the primer all over the hood. Every time I washed the car their would be more chips on the hood.

I live in a suburban area and I dont think that its normal to have that many chips unless you live near a bunch of gravel roads.

I got my hood repainted for free on the accord by the body shop after bitching at them.

Now on my CL... I was also in a collision where they had to repaint the hood and Im pretty sure I am chip free... maybe 1 or 2 smalls ones. I've had the car almost 20 months and 25k miles. The hood was repainted in the first 6th months.

I would at least bring it up to the dealer and tell them you think your paint on your hood had defects causing it to chip easy. Especially if it looks like the # of chips are increasing.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Re: Paint Chip Hell!

Originally posted by jimcol711
ive got at least 5 coats of meguiars gold class on that car too, and STILL paint chips up the ass
no wax, whether its meguiars or zaino, is going to stop chipping from a rock slamming into your car when you're moving.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:19 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: Paint Chip Hell!

ive had my 2002 CL-S for 4 months now and upon close inspection of my hood, ive got a SHITLOAD of DEEP chips in the paint....all the way down to the metal...my car has 5000 miles on it...and at this rate, the hood will have no paint whatsoever by the time i hit 50,000....what the fuck is going on here? i know ive heard the complaints about the shitty paint, and ive got at least 5 coats of meguiars gold class on that car too, and STILL paint chips up the ass...can i bitch to a dealer and have them fix that shit or do i have to just come up with it out of pocket???
I think you're expecting too much of any paint to stop flying rocks. Even epoxy paint will chip from a rock at 60 mph.

If you live in an area that's subject to a lot of gravel or trucks passing by then you might be a good candidate for a car bra.

I have 5K miles on my 03 CLS and don't have any chips, but I do have a couple of door dings.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:22 PM
Banned

i think the biggest lesson here for me is that as much as i like the look of a black car when its clean and new, black cars are impossible to keep clean and new....i dont think ill ever own a black vehicle again...
Old 06-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
i think the biggest lesson here for me is that as much as i like the look of a black car when its clean and new, black cars are impossible to keep clean and new....i dont think ill ever own a black vehicle again...

Although, it's blue for me...

Total bitch to keep clean.

As for rock chips... Sucks, but it's a part of owning a car. I've got a few, one nasty one on the hood... Everytime I wash the car and see the little f'er I get pissed. It's the only visible defect on the car. Grrr.....