Paint = Peeling = Piss Me Off

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 01:04 PM
I scuffed my Puma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint = Peeling = Piss Me Off

So, being the good car owner i am, i've washed my car twice in the past 2 weeks (Nighthawk black '98 CL) using a high pressure spray gun.....well, i don't know if this is a problem for CL-owners that have Nighthawk black, or all Acura/Honda paint, but the spray peeled off paint from my car!!??!!?? I bought the car used and don't know much about its history (what weather conditions it was exposed to)......still, it's shitty having light spots where the paint just peeled off...looks like i got hit w/ a shopping cart or something (minus the dent).
Has this happened to any of you??
Old 12-01-2002, 01:16 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How close to the car did you use the spray gun. You should always keep high pressure guns a good distance from the body itself.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:32 PM
I scuffed my Puma

A good foot and a half at least...it really caught me off guard seeing a big paint chip fly off my car!
Old 12-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i would say there is a very good chance that the peeling paint is not a factory problem.

more likely an area that has been repainted w/o being properly prepped or using inferior materials.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

You might have had a little paint chip, & because Acura paint is so so so so thin, the pressure wash got under the chip, & made the paint around it peel.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:29 PM
Blown LS6!!

The same thing happened to me after the first winter in Oregon. It was definitely due to a tiny little rock chip in my front bumper. The spray got under the lip of the paint and took a chunk of paint the size of a half-dollar coin. My car is silver and it looked really ass! The dealer didn't warranty it.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:57 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
what kinda pressure washer? a home one... high power? or a car wash pressure washer?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:53 AM
I scuffed my Puma

Originally posted by soopa
what kinda pressure washer? a home one... high power? or a car wash pressure washer?
Both occurences happened @ a local carwash with a regular high pressure spray gun....the gun's strong, but regardless........grrrrrr!!

In regards to placement, one of the paint peels is in the dead center of my driver's side door...the other is on my rear bumper (about 3 inches in length, 1 inch in height)--it would be more understandable if the peeling was on the front of the car, figuring nicks from rocks & other road debris...
I just don't know....if i wanted a polka-dotted car i would've purchased a beater w/ rust speckles...one of the most relaxing things for me is to wash my car.....i don't want to be afraid of a freakin' carwash!!??
Old 12-02-2002, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
I had a paint-peeling problem on the passenger side front wheel-well area too...Although I wash my car very regularly, I don't really know if the peeling paint was caused by the high-pressure spray. Anyhow, when I did notice this problem, I took it to my dealership and they warrantied it and repainted the entire area...So, give that a try! Good luck!
Old 12-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by mattg
i would say there is a very good chance that the peeling paint is not a factory problem.

more likely an area that has been repainted w/o being properly prepped or using inferior materials.
What he said !
Old 12-02-2002, 02:44 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally posted by CLBizno
Both occurences happened @ a local carwash with a regular high pressure spray gun....the gun's strong, but regardless........grrrrrr!!

In regards to placement, one of the paint peels is in the dead center of my driver's side door...the other is on my rear bumper (about 3 inches in length, 1 inch in height)--it would be more understandable if the peeling was on the front of the car, figuring nicks from rocks & other road debris...
I just don't know....if i wanted a polka-dotted car i would've purchased a beater w/ rust speckles...one of the most relaxing things for me is to wash my car.....i don't want to be afraid of a freakin' carwash!!??
Ya know, now that you mention it, I do have a couple of areas on the car (sides) where there is a "starburst" pattern of paint that looks deformed. It is rough to the touch and can't be removed with Scratch-X. I haven't asked the dealer about it yet. Almost looks like someone took a blunt-ended instrument and took a whack at it. Maybe you had someone hit your car door in a parking lot???
Old 12-04-2002, 11:53 AM
I scuffed my Puma

It doesn't appear that there's any sort of "ding-age" around the areas that peeled...it feels smooth & i feel no dent....dunno....
It's worth a shot asking about it being warrantied....my dealership is usually a bunch of bitches though.
i'll re-post and let ya know if they will fix it,.....thanks for all the comments!