Opportunity to purchase "New" 2003 From Acura

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opportunity to purchase "New" 2003 From Acura

I've just recently been extremely interested in purchasing a CL Type-S (I'm in the market for a sporty/luxury car and this seems to have it all for my price range).

At first I was satisfied with A/T in a CL (having only driven and loved M/T cars), but once I drove a M/T CL I realized that I won't be able to live with an Auto car.

With that in mind, one of the two local Acura dealerships (Jody Wilkinson Acura) has an 2003 Black w/ Parchment interior and no Navi, which has been dropped down to $25,9XX. The car has $6,000 miles on it and has been the managers "demo" car apparently, so one of the Managers has been driving it.

The car is being sold as a new car so I'm wondering if leasing (sp?) the car would be a good idea and just in general what everyone thinks. Is this a fair price, how much negotiation do you think there might be?

ANY COMMENTS whatsoever or feedback would be greatly appreciated.\

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Pro

At the end of the day, it is a used car. kbb.com (in my zipcode) lists it at 27k private party but the street value in Edmunds is around $23,5k. I'd start there.

Make sure that clutch feels good and that the front tires still look new. Manager's can (and do) abuse cars just like anybody else. I would also ask for an extended (certified pre-owned) warranty. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:43 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A year ago this week, I traded in my '01 CLS for an '03 CLS 6sp. All I can say is I'm really glad I did. Car is lots more drivable and takes to mods better.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Advanced

The warranty normally starts with the in demo date so check that
Old 01-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

From what I can remember they said the warranty will begin once the car is sold, meaning 2 weeks from now if need be.

Any other input?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:42 AM
Drifting

Unless you are getting it $3000 below invoice or less I wouldn't bother.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Advanced

actually i just bought a cl type s mani, new 0 kms in canada a week ago. The price in canada is about 43,000 when you get the bs air cond tax, tire tax, honda canada adversting tax etc etc. But i got a deal because 1) know the dealer and got the car for cost 38,900. but also 2) since its an 03 their is a rebate of 4000(canadian mind you) so the car was 34,000 new out of the box.

I would check with your dealer on the rebate.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Cars are an addiction

Yeah, that is about the discount I got when i bought my 03. I only got the CL-P but it was also a demo and had 4000 miles on it. I got it for 23,000.. About 5 grand off the sticker I think. I could have prob got it a bit less, but they gave me a good trade in on what I had. And yes, the waranty is from the day sold, as if it had 0 miles on it. So you get a 56,000 mile warranty.

Not bad. If you have no trade, try for a grand less and see what they say..

My father also just a Rl off demo. I forget the sticker, but we walked in, offered him $9,500 off the sticker, he walked away, came back and shook our hand. Said we had a deal. Took it home 5 hours later. They guy was so suprised that we didnt drive it or anything. We had looked else wear adn he liked the RL and we were about 2 hours from home, drove by the dealer ship, stopped in, and bought it.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by stu mccrea
actually i just bought a cl type s mani, new 0 kms in canada a week ago. The price in canada is about 43,000 when you get the bs air cond tax, tire tax, honda canada adversting tax etc etc. But i got a deal because 1) know the dealer and got the car for cost 38,900. but also 2) since its an 03 their is a rebate of 4000(canadian mind you) so the car was 34,000 new out of the box.

I would check with your dealer on the rebate.
0 kilometers? Dealership messed with the odometer, then.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
0 kilometers? Dealership messed with the odometer, then.
1) impossible to mess with the odmeter without knowing, just simply flash the ecu and it will tell you what the miles are.

2) we here in canada didn't seem to like the cl as much as the us, so therefore there are still some left in the depot in Canada, and hence 0 kms, well probably 5 now since it was move to ship it to me.

Man i can't believe this. I come to this board to learn more about the cars etc and since i have posted i have been worked over about how its impossible that i have a cl with 0 kms on it....

Crap, am getting the feeling that either there are too many people who have bullshitted on this board and that nobody believe anyone anymore, or that everyone just wants to call bullshit.

AM not bullshitting.............
Old 01-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Team Owner

Man i can't believe this. I come to this board to learn more about the cars etc and since i have posted i have been worked over about how its impossible that i have a cl with 0 kms on it....

Crap, am getting the feeling that either there are too many people who have bullshitted on this board and that nobody believe anyone anymore, or that everyone just wants to call bullshit.

AM not bullshitting.............
Relax, he was just commenting that it’s very unusual to have a ZERO on the display.
Usually there is a safety check and pre-delivery inspection done at the dealer before you take delivery.
I saw my car come off the truck and when I picked it up the following day it said 4-miles on the display.
Stick around a bit, there is lots you can learn here in-between all the BS.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by Shawn S
Relax, he was just commenting that it’s very unusual to have a ZERO on the display.
Usually there is a safety check and pre-delivery inspection done at the dealer before you take delivery.
I saw my car come off the truck and when I picked it up the following day it said 4-miles on the display.
Stick around a bit, there is lots you can learn here in-between all the BS.
Yeah that's what I thought as well. Always a few miles.

stu mccrea,

Sounds like you are just saying it's brand new and never been driven by the dealership but zero as in absolutly no miles at all doesn't make sense and as you found out people on this site don't hesitate to point out inconsistancies like this. It's a better place for it IMO. Anyway, congrats on the car!!
Old 01-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by hemants
Unless you are getting it $3000 below invoice or less I wouldn't bother.
It's close. I think invoice is 28.5 or so. There was someone on here that got theirs brand new for 26k though so there is probably some room on the demo at 25. They are getting scarce though so it may be hard to price shop a whole lot. Great car though.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by ChadT
Yeah that's what I thought as well. Always a few miles.

stu mccrea,

Sounds like you are just saying it's brand new and never been driven by the dealership but zero as in absolutly no miles at all doesn't make sense and as you found out people on this site don't hesitate to point out inconsistancies like this. It's a better place for it IMO. Anyway, congrats on the car!!

I understand, but what am trying to point out is that 1) it was never at a dealership, it was at the Acura Canada depot. This depot is where the car are ship from to the dealers.

Anyhow so i got maybe 5 kms on it, well did because i pick it up this evening.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand, but what am trying to point out is that 1) it was never at a dealership, it was at the Acura Canada depot. This depot is where the car are ship from to the dealers.

I got my car off the transporter and it had 6 miles on it. There was plastic wrap that still needed to be removed (and that was at the dealer’s lot).
Old 01-22-2004, 04:04 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
The warranty starts the day the car title is registered, on a demo it would be when the dealer procured it to use as a demo car.
I had a dealer try to tell me differently. it's not a new car, it's a used car, and the warranty has been running.
See if they will certify it at least, that will give you an added-on one year of basic warranty coverage.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by 123456SPEED
The warranty starts the day the car title is registered, on a demo it would be when the dealer procured it to use as a demo car.
I had a dealer try to tell me differently. it's not a new car, it's a used car, and the warranty has been running.
See if they will certify it at least, that will give you an added-on one year of basic warranty coverage.
Warranty starts at the vechicle in service date.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

Yup, like some people have said, the warranty definitely starts on the day I, or anyone else other than the dealership has purchased the car.

Unless they are willing to go much lower I might end up purchasing a car from an auction (have a connection).

We'll see and thanks thus far for everyone's help.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Pro

Might want to check this out....?

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=127878
Old 01-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

That's a nice way to get a car. Fresh of the transporter. I wanted to pick mine up at the factory but I guess they don't let you do that. I'm only about 1/2 hour away.