Opinions on sub/amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 11:15 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,191 Likes on 693 Posts
Opinions on sub/amp

Sorry to post over here but no one is answering in A/V and i wanted to order this stuff tonight or tomorrow. I currently have a 97 CL w/just a pioneer DEH-P5200 headunit and stock speakers. I am thinking about adding a 10" Infinity Kappa sub w/a small sealed Q Logic enclosure with a Pioneer GM-X952 amp powering the sub. I dont know much about subs so i was wondering if this will all work together and give me alittle more bass w/o over powering my highs. I mostly listening to alternative rock and occansional rap. Also my stereo says something about a sub woofer control, does that mean i can turn the sub up and down thru the stereo? Is it going to be hard to wire using a Lightning Audio wiring kit from crutchfield which is for 200-350 watt RMS and do I need anything else? Thanks a lot

------------------
No more scratches thanks to the dumbass who walked on my car and had to pay to have it repainted.
Old 06-25-2001, 11:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you should be okay, specially if you can control the base volume and cut-off frequency throught the head unit. if you want more control over the highs, lows, and frequency levels you get, you might want to throw in an equalizer as well. i used to have a kenwood in my civic...you know, those really small ones, and it made a hell of difference having that control. and to think that was a cheap eq. i'm planning on adding that same eq to my system once i've found a good head unit to replace the 6 disk in dash changer. by the way, you might want to consider changing the stock speakers as well. i just did...also replaced the amp, and it makes a hell of a difference! the wiring kit should be sufficient...but if you plan to upgrade in the future, i would make sure the power cable from the battery to the trunk is 4gauge. aside from running that fat power cable throught the firewall, everything else should be quite simple.

------------------
CL-P....icy white!
moon roof visor: mud guards: genuine acura nose mask: genuine acura burlwood shift knob: polarg m-12 on blinkers: m-4s on internal lamps: m-4 on rear plate lamp: piaa bulbs on road lamps: K&N drop in filter: Catz XLO Driving lights: zaino polish
"i drive it like my grandma....j/k"

[This message has been edited by icy CL (edited 06-25-2001).]

Old 06-26-2001, 12:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by icy CL:
you should be okay, specially if you can control the base volume and cut-off frequency throught the head unit. if you want more control over the highs, lows, and frequency levels you get, you might want to throw in an equalizer as well. i used to have a kenwood in my civic...you know, those really small ones, and it made a hell of difference having that control. and to think that was a cheap eq. i'm planning on adding that same eq to my system once i've found a good head unit to replace the 6 disk in dash changer. by the way, you might want to consider changing the stock speakers as well. i just did...also replaced the amp, and it makes a hell of a difference! the wiring kit should be sufficient...but if you plan to upgrade in the future, i would make sure the power cable from the battery to the trunk is 4gauge. aside from running that fat power cable throught the firewall, everything else should be quite simple.

</font>
Hey icy, I gotta check your ride out, Im dying to see how the polarg m-12's look on a white cl, and also i wanna check your system out.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter w/ J&J RAP CAI. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-26-2001, 12:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Hey icy, I gotta check your ride out, Im dying to see how the polarg m-12's look on a white cl, and also i wanna check your system out.

</font>
nova...maybe this saturday....i plan on installing the rear speakers. i tried this weekend but the magnets were to big and were hitting the horizontal bars...i have to look for something to act as spacers. plus, i plan to hide the wires and all the other dangling shit. maybe also add some stuffing to the rear panel to keep it from vibrating. my system ain't that great...but good enough for me to listen to my jazz and some 80's music. remember, i'm 34 but feel like 21. i just have too many other things to do that's kept me from working on this. also, i have some of that white vinyl stuff to put on your acura logo on the hood. i went to this "sign shop" and this nice guy gave me a big piece...free...so a lot of extra. let me know if you want some. i think it looks pretty cool....specially with the full nose mask on.

------------------
'01 CL-P....icy white!
moon roof visor: mud guards: genuine acura nose mask: genuine acura burlwood shift knob: polarg m-12 on blinkers: m-4s on internal lamps: m-4 on rear plate lamp: piaa bulbs on road lamps: K&N drop in filter: Catz XLO Driving lights: zaino polish
"i drive it like my grandma....j/k"