OMG! INK Explosion =( Interior sharpie marker stain

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:38 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG! INK Explosion =( Interior sharpie marker stain

So I did a good thing and drove the office gang to lunch today. Well, long story short -- one of them had a sharpie that LEAKED in their pocket.. !!!!!!

I didn't even realize it until later since it was in the back. (I didn't put two and two together when he was complaining about his imported pants. WELL WHAT ABOUT MY CAR!!!)..

There's now permanent marker on my car (on the side handle -- not the leather)..

It's already dry.. What do you guys think the best way to get it off is?

Is it even possible.

=(

*crying*.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:40 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
...post much? about the stain......im not sure what will take that off, anyone else know?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:48 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try GOOF-OFF it removes just about anything adn wont eat it. if that doesnt work you can get the part cheapest at

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...ll&ListAll=All

there are full schematics of all the cars.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:44 AM
ALL SHOW AND NO GO

man for some one that has been on hear for 4 years you sure dont have to many posts lol. Have you tryed rubbing alcohol ? i know it will take permanet marker off but im not 100% sure what it will do to the lether ? may be you can try it on a little spot that wont show to much ?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:15 AM
10th Gear

Actually all most posts have been from this year. =P..

I'm a long time reader.

I'll definitely try goof off. Have you had any experience with it?

My mom told me to try hairspray and rubbing alcohol but I didn't know if that would do anything bad.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Skillionare

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is also an Orange cleaner for car interiors:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...ec=frgl_824895

Not sure about Armor All products though.....I just know Orange cleaners are pretty tough on stains.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:07 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
...post much? about the stain......im not sure what will take that off, anyone else know?
i was about to say... whoa...1/3 of your total posts are in this thread alone...
Old 05-18-2006, 10:09 AM
metalguitarist.org

Nailpolish remover will take it off, just make sure you clean the area up immediately so that all of the NPR is gone.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
most organic solvents will take it off... methanol, ethanol, isopropanol.. I would try the isoprop first since it is the least polar and won't damage the side handle.. (70% isopropanol= witch hazel at the local drug store)
Old 05-18-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm here in spirit...

That sucks!

Alcohol will more than likely discolor any plastics or leather, I wouldn't even try it. The hairspray isn't a bad idea actually. Example: Take an old pair of leather shoes (like dirty white sneakers), spray the hell out of them with hairspray, let them soak for a minute, then throw them in the washing machine. I promise you they will come out of the washer looking whiter than you'll ever remember them being. I have done that so many times to old shoes. Hairspray kicks ass for stuff like that. You might also try getting a spray bottle of Oxy Clean. Oxy Clean is the shit too. I swear by it. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
From the www.sharpie.com web site.

How do I remove a permanent marker stain?

The successful stain removal of ink stains differs from case to case because of the many types of fabrics, colors, inks and time elapsed before stain removal. We cannot guarantee stain removal since many variables can be involved. Testing first is always recommended as well as following both the stain remover and clothing manufacturer's instructions. Following these steps should result in partial or complete removal.

General Rules:

1) Treat stains as soon as possible. Fresh stains can be removed more easily than old ones.

2) Check manufacturer's labels as to fabric content and any special instructions

3) Always test stain removal solution first on a hidden part of the article or on swatch of fabric taken from seam allowance to insure no color loss or damage will occur.

4) Where possible, lay stained article face down on paper towels or clean white cloth and apply stain removal solution to underside of stain so that stain can be removed from the surface instead of pushing it through the fabric. Replace towels or cloth as they absorb stain to prevent stain transfer.

5) If enlisting the aid of a professional laundry or dry cleaner, be sure to indicate what the stain is and the type of fabric.

6) Do not iron stained garments or put in dryer as this may set stain.

* Also try AMODEX STAIN REMOVER for permanent ink: Amodex Products, P.O. Box 3332, Bridgeport, CT 06605, Phone203) 335-1255 or go to http://www.amodexink.com
Old 05-18-2006, 12:03 PM
RN are my initials...

Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
That sucks!

You might also try getting a spray bottle of Oxy Clean. Oxy Clean is the shit too. I swear by it. Good luck!
oxy clean does work wonders, got red wine out of my friend's white carpet (oops i didnt mean to do it ), got stains of my timberlands and didnt stain the leather, so you might have some luck there.

then i'd suggest clean and protect with your favorite leather company product, i use lexol.