OK what is the V-AFC , explain in simple terms.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001 | 11:43 PM
Senior Moderator

OK what is the V-AFC , explain in simple terms.....

I read all the posts about this thing, and i even read it on the autocarparts.com, And i still have no idea what this does for the car? Plus it is safe and can you turn it off at anytime?
Old 02-20-2001 | 11:55 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

If it is electronics and it touches the ECU, I do not needed in my car.

I am affraid the V-AFC is just that. I do not think those who made this V-AFC are smarter that Honda Engineers. If you want to play with VTEC settings, wait few months and buy an Acura RS-X it has a variable VTECH engagement point: http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 02-21-2001 | 03:57 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AcurA Crazy:
I read all the posts about this thing, and i even read it on the autocarparts.com, And i still have no idea what this does for the car? Plus it is safe and can you turn it off at anytime?</font>
1. You need to solder and splice it into the existing wire harness to hook it into the system (good luck if you have ECU problems).

2. You then need to go to a good dyno shop to have them "adjust" it.

3. In its current form, you can't turn it off.

Finally, if you don't have headers or a CAI (Cold Air Intake) you probably wont get too big of an improvement. The device works by making the air-to-fuel mixture richer (in most cases) to make more power. The downside is you loose fuel economy.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
Old 02-21-2001 | 04:02 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
1. You need to solder and splice it into the existing wire harness to hook it into the system (good luck if you have ECU problems).

2. You then need to go to a good dyno shop to have them "adjust" it.

3. In its current form, you can't turn it off.

Finally, if you don't have headers or a CAI (Cold Air Intake) you probably wont get too big of an improvement. The device works by making the air-to-fuel mixture richer (in most cases) to make more power. The downside is you loose fuel economy.

</font>
Who told you you had to solder? Also, who told you you can't turn it off?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Custom AEM CAI

[This message has been edited by WebToker (edited 02-21-2001).]
Old 02-21-2001 | 04:08 AM
Drifting

By the way, I spoke with BeatYaAll last night for about an hour. He said you can set it back to stock. He also said he already had all the numbers so I wouldn't have to Dyno it.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Custom AEM CAI
Old 02-21-2001 | 04:37 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
By the way, I spoke with BeatYaAll last night for about an hour. He said you can set it back to stock. He also said he already had all the numbers so I wouldn't have to Dyno it.

</font>
The question is what numbers.

1. Yeh, you will probably get numbers that will get you in the ball park. So BeatYaAll's stock map will probably get you somewhere in the ball park.

2. Do you have exactly the same mods that he does? If you don't, then the "map" that he will give you will not be the correct map for your engine. He has headers, a CAI, and the V-AFC. Do you have the exact same parts.
The V-AFC doesn't change the programming of the ECU, it just uses a digital map to intercept and change various sensor inputs to the ECU to fool the ECU into altering the fuel-air mixture. I doubt that it would hurt to try it 1st, but you will get the best results if you have the unit adjusted for *YOUR* car.

3. As far as having a bypass mode, I downloaded the instructions for the unit *and* I didn't see one. Could you please be so kind and let me know where the bypass mode is described? By bypass mode I am tring to understand if there is a switch to make the unit "remove itself" from the system.

4 I sent you an email to inquire about your install. Perhaps you will not have to solder the unit in. In the pdf directions, they do refer to soldering into the stock cable harness.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
Old 02-21-2001 | 04:42 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
The question is what numbers.

1. Yeh, you will probably get numbers that will get you in the ball park. So BeatYaAll's stock map will probably get you somewhere in the ball park.

2. Do you have exactly the same mods that he does? If you don't, then the "map" that he will give you will not be the correct map for your engine. He has headers, a CAI, and the V-AFC. Do you have the exact same parts.
The V-AFC doesn't change the programming of the ECU, it just uses a digital map to intercept and change various sensor inputs to the ECU to fool the ECU into altering the fuel-air mixture. I doubt that it would hurt to try it 1st, but you will get the best results if you have the unit adjusted for *YOUR* car.

3. As far as having a bypass mode, I downloaded the instructions for the unit *and* I didn't see one. Could you please be so kind and let me know where the bypass mode is described? By bypass mode I am tring to understand if there is a switch to make the unit "remove itself" from the system.

4 I sent you an email to inquire about your install. Perhaps you will not have to solder the unit in. In the pdf directions, they do refer to soldering into the stock cable harness.

</font>
Thats a good point. I don't have headers but I do have the same CAI. I guess I will just get it mapped for my car then. Hmmm, I wonder how much that would cost?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Custom AEM CAI
Old 02-21-2001 | 04:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Toke, BYA's settings are going to be different than yours because he has the headers and a CAI. Unless of course, he had it tuned when he just had the CAI. Even then there may be a variance because the CAIs were made by different manafacturers.

Nashua, Honda engineered Vtec to appeal to a broad group of ppl. The VAFC simply sets Vtec to engage more aggressively for ppl who want more out of an engine.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 02-21-2001 | 04:45 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
Toke, BYA's settings are going to be different than yours because he has the headers and a CAI. Unless of course, he had it tuned when he just had the CAI. Even then there may be a variance because the CAIs were made by different manafacturers.

Nashua, Honda engineered Vtec to appeal to a broad group of ppl. The VAFC simply sets Vtec to engage more aggressively for ppl who want more out of an engine.

</font>

We have the same CAI but ya I don't have headers.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Custom AEM CAI
Old 02-21-2001 | 04:51 AM
Drifting

We have the same CAI but ya I don't have headers.

</font>
Now that I am thinking about it I may wait till I get my headers installed and then I can just dyno it all at the same time. By then I should have pullys and be pretty much done with my engine mods for a while.

For the time being I will just work on mounting it in the suglass holder and running the cables.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Custom AEM CAI

[This message has been edited by WebToker (edited 02-21-2001).]
Old 02-21-2001 | 05:28 AM
Senior Moderator

That's cool, but it's great to see the gains that each mod delivers!

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 02-21-2001 | 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

</font>

his v-afc numbers are set w/ his comptech headers/exhaust he didn't get them tuned after he got his intake. You might have to get a headers now .

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.