Oil-Jet and the Fill Plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:23 PM
2ManyMiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil-Jet and the Fill Plug

Anyone drained/filled their ATF since getting the Oil-Jet installed? That injector plug thingy doesn't exactly make a strong seal, does it? Didn't seem that way to me when I took it off / put it back in.

I hadn't looked at it until today when I had to pull it out. Totally lame band-aid fix on our transmission whoas, IMO.

Anyway, I was surprised when I went to find the fill plug and thought I'd chime in on the subject.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Instructor

DeezNutz; The attempted crutch for these trannies is pretty lame..
I see that you use Amzol. Is this oil worth using? Amsoil 5W-30,
Old 05-04-2005, 08:14 PM
2ManyMiles

^^ I'd use Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Both are definitely *good enough*.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like somebody got himself a amsoil dealer card,, congrats,, anyway I don't dissassemble the oil jet assembly. I have a small funnel/ tube that fits into the oil dipstick input line,,, takes a little longer but just measure what you take out and put that amount of new in. For me this is all changing,, after 84k miles and every 20k amsoil trans flush,, my tranny dies and is over at Goodsons today for a new tranny. No oil jet on this puppy. I also have the comptech trans cooler,, I am now confinced the design is bad and not the lack of mantenance.. I just bought my wife a 2005 Odyessy, guess what,, same trans,,
Old 05-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aclura
DeezNutz; The attempted crutch for these trannies is pretty lame..
I see that you use Amzol. Is this oil worth using? Amsoil 5W-30,

I statred a experiment when my car was new. I change oil every 10k and filter every 5k,, I use 0w30 amsoil. I have completed three oil analysis over the 84k miles I have driven,,one I did 3k ago and the results came back reported a TBN of 6.5,, new petro motor oil is 7-8. The results said I can keep the oil in for longer than 10k,,, but I have my personal limits.. When you start analysing PAO Synthetic oil there are other benifits such as almost zero wear and increased heat removal. (bearings run cooler)

Very Good PAO based oils are
The new mobil1 extended 15k,,not the 5k or 7.5k, these are small amounts of PAO oil mixed with Petrol oil,, read increased profits for bullshit..

I use Amsoil because they don't play games,, tell you not to change your oil so often and if you want they too have a mix oil call xl7500, but they tell you it's a mix,,
Old 05-05-2005, 01:30 PM
2ManyMiles

Originally Posted by fender4
Sounds like somebody got himself a amsoil dealer card,, congrats,, anyway I don't dissassemble the oil jet assembly. I have a small funnel/ tube that fits into the oil dipstick input line,,, takes a little longer but just measure what you take out and put that amount of new in. For me this is all changing,, after 84k miles and every 20k amsoil trans flush,, my tranny dies and is over at Goodsons today for a new tranny. No oil jet on this puppy. I also have the comptech trans cooler,, I am now confinced the design is bad and not the lack of mantenance.. I just bought my wife a 2005 Odyessy, guess what,, same trans,,
No Amsoil dealer card for me -- I run Mobil1 in one car and Amsoil in the Acura.

It was actually easy to unscrew the bracket that holds the jet in the fill plug opening and just pull the jet out. I just don't like the design - but mostly I just don't like that damn transmission!!! :angry:
Old 05-05-2005, 01:35 PM
2ManyMiles

After 84k miles and every 20k amsoil trans flush,, my tranny dies and is over at Goodsons today for a new tranny. No oil jet on this puppy. I also have the comptech trans cooler,, I am now confinced the design is bad and not the lack of mantenance.
Sounds like you did everything you could to keep it alive. Very bad design.

So, they're not doing the oil jet on new replacements?

I'm just doing a drain/fill every 15 - 20k on my replacement. I drive all highway and a ton of miles, so it really shouldn't need more than that IMO. The fluid looks very clear and pink when it drains.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:36 PM
2ManyMiles

I started a experiment when my car was new. I change oil every 10k and filter every 5k,, I use 0w30 amsoil.
I do the same in terms of mileage for the filter and oil, but I use the 5w30. Why 0w30? Just curious.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda Technician

the new replacement transmissions dont need to jet kits because they have already been updated. The new transmissions already have built in jets that squirt the ATF on the second gear rather having an external jet kit. However, there are still some re-built transmissions out there that still require the jet kit recall. Hope that sheds some light on your q's
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 PM
2ManyMiles

^^ Thanks for the info, CLTECH. Much appreciated!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DeezNutz
I do the same in terms of mileage for the filter and oil, but I use the 5w30. Why 0w30? Just curious.
It's more of always wanting the very best with the spec,, kinda like comparing grades of diamonds, but cost is about 2 bucks/qt higher

VI Flash Pour %ash %zinc
Amsoil (old) 5w30 168 480 -76 <.5 ---
AMSOIL (new) 0w30 186 464 -76 --- ---

Did your group get a supplier of amsoil products ??
Old 05-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Anyone drained/filled their ATF since getting the Oil-Jet installed? That injector plug thingy doesn't exactly make a strong seal, does it? Didn't seem that way to me when I took it off / put it back in.

I hadn't looked at it until today when I had to pull it out. Totally lame band-aid fix on our transmission whoas, IMO.

Anyway, I was surprised when I went to find the fill plug and thought I'd chime in on the subject.
Do not be too concerned about it. Your trans will eventually and they will install one without the oil jet.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:21 PM
2ManyMiles

Originally Posted by Dan
Do not be too concerned about it. Your trans will eventually and they will install one without the oil jet.
Tell me about it. First one lasted 76k, and now the second one (with oil jet) is on my dime (over 100,000).
Old 05-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Pro

Tell me about it. First one lasted 76k, and now the second one (with oil jet) is on my dime (over 100,000).
Don't give up on Acura. Sometimes they will goodwill a problem even after the warranty period. I would at least try for a warranty fix!!! The decision makers have some discretion with a known problem like the tranny!
Let us know what they say.