Nose guards and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 04:33 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nose guards and stuff

Hey I'm new to the board and just got my CL Type S. I'm glad to see so many CL drivers who are so interested in this great car! Down to the question any have any opinions or pictures of bras on a CL? I've had my CL for a week and I already have a rock chip on my bumper. Anyone try that plastic tape that covers the bumper and fenders?
Old 02-09-2001, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

No, do you have a link i'd like to check it out. I have several scratches already and my car is only 7 weeks old.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 02-09-2001, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

I have the acura bra and I only put it on when I'm driving long distance. The first few times can be a pain but after a while you get use to taking it on/off. The only thing that sux about is that there is a hole for the liceneplate, so if you don't have your front plates on like me after you put on your bra there will be a big hole not covering the car's nose. But I still higly recommend it.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-09-2001, 11:03 AM
Adult Supervision

Some of us have the traditional cloth bras - and some like them and some hate them cause they scratch/or don't scratch the hood area.

The clear bra's are the best and a few of us have them but they are pretty expensive to have installed (I think I have heard prices about $500)

The majority of us have nothing and whine about every pebble that hits our cars..

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-09-2001, 11:08 AM
Advanced

I have a nose mask for my CL-S. It protects well,but I do have a spot above the protected area where a rock hit. The drawback is, it takes a little work to use the nosemask. You should not just put one on and leave it on. The instructions explain the care one needs to take,and I follow those instructions.
Waxing the area the nosemask covers. Never leaving it on for long perods of time,especially when wet and dirty.
I don't have much personal experience yet, on the clear protectant made by 3M. I know it can be between $375 and $500 to do the front of a car. Check local tint shops and body repair shops, maybe Acura,Lexus, Mercedes dealerships.I have been told about the 3M stuff from all of them. It can also be cut to protect areas that splash guards are supposed to protect,and also around door handles

------------------
Mike
Satin Silver CL Type S
Old 02-09-2001, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't get how this 3M product works. You would think that the paint would get messed up with tape on it. How do ya wax the car, do you peel the tape off, wax it and then put it back?

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 02-09-2001, 12:40 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
I have the acura bra and I only put it on when I'm driving long distance. The first few times can be a pain but after a while you get use to taking it on/off. The only thing that sux about is that there is a hole for the liceneplate, so if you don't have your front plates on like me after you put on your bra there will be a big hole not covering the car's nose. But I still higly recommend it.
</font>
Same here, have it but only use it for long distance trips. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

On a side note, my bra doesn't have that license plate hole cut out. There is a stitched place that I can rip off if I have the license plate and need to go around it, but I don't have my license plate on and haven't unstitched that part of the bra yet. So mine covers the entire area with no holes.

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI - on the way

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-09-2001, 02:13 PM
SatinCL

I have the X-Pel Clear bra. It is made of the 3M material and is guaranteed to not harm the paint by X-Pel. Also, the clear film is guaranteed to not peel, crack, or discolor.

I bit the bullet b/c THE FIRST WEEK I had the car, the hood was chipped in a number of places. As a result, I had to get the hood touched up and my side-view's repainted. I later found out that Acura uses a 2 coat/1 Bake process that is fragile due to each coat being thicker (and ultimately softer) than normal in it's class. It may look nice, but it isn't the best finish in the business....

So, I had the car for 9 months...3 of which has been during the worst winter we've had in years...and the bra has lived up to 3m's claim.

For all you disbeliever's saying....."Well, isn't the paint gonna discolor?" No. This formulation breathes VERY well. Proof is that any water used in the installation that remains underneath evaporates within a day. "OK, it must look like crap?" No. In fact, at least on Satin Silver, it blends very well into the paint and is pretty much transparent. Yeah, you can see it a bit, but it does not refract light to a degree that it looks like a Band-Aid. Also, it takes to wax very well. So....

E-mail me with any ?'s.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, Polarg Accent Bulbs, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech: 6.46
Old 02-09-2001, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

I use what they call a “SNOW BRA”.
I got it free from Mother Nature.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 02-09-2001, 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Shawn S, I think the snow bra is only available in the nor-east for a limited time only.

Satin01CL, What do they say about the paint that is not protected fading and not matching the bra protected paint? Or does it allow sun light through? Can it be removed? Is it possible to just do the front bumper?

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 02-09-2001, 03:53 PM
SatinCL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
.....Satin01CL, What do they say about the paint that is not protected fading and not matching the bra protected paint? Or does it allow sun light through? Can it be removed? Is it possible to just do the front bumper?

</font>
1) No UV protection...therefore discoloration would be consistent with the remaining "unprotected" paint.
2) Easily removed with a heat gun and WILL NOT pull paint.
3) X-Pel sells complete kits, or hood/mirror and bumper separately. Go to www.xpel.com.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, Polarg Accent Bulbs, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Old 02-09-2001, 04:25 PM
Advanced

Well I just looked into the plastic protection and have found two, Xpel and Stongard. Stonegard's website is http://www.stongard.com and its cost for a full kit is $404.95 and I've gotten quotes from $220.00 to $350.00 for installation in So.Cal.

If anyone has any opinions on which is better or has experience installing it themselves let me know.
Old 02-09-2001, 04:33 PM
Advanced

i'd definitely recommend the clear bra. i wish i would have done it to my black prelude. i have the the clear bra on for 3 months and the car looks like the first day i got it. mine costs $575 w/ installation. it include. hood, bumper, head light, driving light, side mirror, and door edge.

------------------
01 Silver S-type with navigation and spoiler..comtech springs/clear bra (3M)/viper 550 hf with remote start/35%tint/moda r6 w/ 225/45/17 bridgestone re730/more to come..
Old 02-09-2001, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Satin01CL, Thanks for the info.... Who installed yours? I work up in Mahwah, maybe I'll use your guy if you were totally happy with the installation.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 02-09-2001, 05:12 PM
SatinCL

Satin01CL, Thanks for the info.... Who installed yours? I work up in Mahwah, maybe I'll use your guy if you were totally happy with the installation.

</font>
Used C&D Autobody (the best!!!) in Hackensack. Just a skip away from Rt 80. E-mail me for details.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P

Old 02-09-2001, 05:18 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

</font>
Where do you work in Mahwah? I work in Mahwah.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 02-09-2001, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Satin01CL:
I have the X-Pel Clear bra. It is made of the 3M material and is guaranteed to not harm the paint by X-Pel. Also, the clear film is guaranteed to not peel, crack, or discolor.

I bit the bullet b/c THE FIRST WEEK I had the car, the hood was chipped in a number of places. As a result, I had to get the hood touched up and my side-view's repainted. I later found out that Acura uses a 2 coat/1 Bake process that is fragile due to each coat being thicker (and ultimately softer) than normal in it's class. It may look nice, but it isn't the best finish in the business....

So, I had the car for 9 months...3 of which has been during the worst winter we've had in years...and the bra has lived up to 3m's claim.

For all you disbeliever's saying....."Well, isn't the paint gonna discolor?" No. This formulation breathes VERY well. Proof is that any water used in the installation that remains underneath evaporates within a day. "OK, it must look like crap?" No. In fact, at least on Satin Silver, it blends very well into the paint and is pretty much transparent. Yeah, you can see it a bit, but it does not refract light to a degree that it looks like a Band-Aid. Also, it takes to wax very well. So....

E-mail me with any ?'s.

</font>
That x-pel bra is great, I'd recommend it, especially the headlight protection.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL
Satin Silver
Old 02-09-2001, 06:22 PM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VTEC Animal:
That x-pel bra is great, I'd recommend it, especially the headlight protection.
</font>
agreed!!! i have silver car also and it blends in pretty good.

------------------
01 Silver S-type with navigation and spoiler..comtech springs/clear bra (3M)/viper 550 hf with remote start/35%tint/moda r6 w/ 225/45/17 bridgestone re730/more to come..
Old 02-10-2001, 12:23 AM
10th Gear

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Henry:
Hey I'm new to the board and just got my CL Type S. I'm glad to see so many CL drivers who are so interested in this great car! Down to the question any have any opinions or pictures of bras on a CL? I've had my CL for a week and I already have a rock chip on my bumper. Anyone try that plastic tape that covers the bumper and fenders? </font>
i have a new bra never used $100

Old 02-11-2001, 01:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

quote:
gto2050
Where do you work in Mahwah? I work in Mahwah.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
--------------------------------------------

I work on Macarthur blvd off rt17. Where are you located?

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 02-11-2001, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear

Is the Xpel or Stongegard product user installable or do you have to have it professionally installed. Also do any of you have install tips for the products?

How long does the clear bra last? Do you have to get a new one every year?

Thanks for any info guys..