AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G CL (2001-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/)
-   -   Nose bra collects dirt & salt (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/nose-bra-collects-dirt-salt-449296/)

bsprinker 12-22-2003 08:17 AM

Nose bra collects dirt & salt

I have had my hood bra on for nearly five months since I got it from the dealership. I just installed the front nose mask portion because of the snow and crappy weather in PA. I washed my car yesterday and there was SOOOO much crap around the seams and buttons of the nose mask that it looks like it has been used for a year already. And it has only been TWO WEEKS!!!!

Do others that keep there nose mask on during the snowy months have the same problem?? I had my dealership install it while they replaced my rotors and brake pads, so I know it was put on correctly. But it just collected every bit of dirt, salt, and crap that was thrown into the wheelwells.

Those of you who drive in snowy weather, should I keep it on or take it off? It looks dirty and nastly where it connects in the wheelwells. I would just leave it off, but isn't the weather going to kill my front bumper with stones and salt? What should I do?

Maybe I should look into 3M.

spdy0001 12-22-2003 08:29 AM

This is the reason why bra's suck:rolleyes:

If you dont clean your car every couple days the crap that it traps will eat your paint off. If almost defeats the purpose. Sure it protects from rock chips but is it worth that to have salt and rocks being rubbed against your paint like sandpaper

bsprinker 12-22-2003 08:51 AM

Should I scrap the bra idea and go with 3M or something like that for my nose piece? I like the hood bra and how it looks and protects, just the nose bra sucks.

spdy0001 12-22-2003 09:52 AM

That would totally be your decision;)

Personally I hate bra's of anykind. I think there ugly and make the car look cheap.

Rock2534 12-22-2003 10:11 AM

I got one when i purchased my car and that was back on 6/1/00, and have used the bra every winter. I usually just go to the car wash and rinse it off myself with the high pressure hose every once in a while. Just get up real close and get down in there, it will take the junk off. I take it off every spring and the front of the car looks fine. Don't worry about it.

1killercls 12-22-2003 10:15 AM

3m clearbra for you snow folks seems like a good alternative.

bsprinker 12-22-2003 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Rock2534
I got one when i purchased my car and that was back on 6/1/00, and have used the bra every winter. I usually just go to the car wash and rinse it off myself with the high pressure hose every once in a while. Just get up real close and get down in there, it will take the junk off. I take it off every spring and the front of the car looks fine. Don't worry about it.

Do you rinse the inner edges with the high pressure hose? You know, the area where it connects to the wheelwells? That is what gets all nasty on mine. If you do high pressure wash it there, how long does it take to dry? That inner soft lining doesn't dry fast at all.

NSXNEXT 12-22-2003 11:08 AM

Think about this analogy. Ever go to the beach and get sand in your bathing suit? Ever try walking for a while without rinsing it out?

The salt and crap will rub the clear coat right off. Get the Xpel bra. I have it on my wife's Altima and it works really well.

chef chris 12-22-2003 11:14 AM

Originally posted by 1killercls
3m clearbra for you snow folks seems like a good alternative.
The only smart way...3M.

My dad was in the paint business years ago & he loved to see a car with a bra...almost like seeing money...

They should only be used for long trips, etc. No one should leave it on for too long because they collect dust, dirt, gravel & then rub it into the paint. No to mention, even when clean, the edges will wear the clear coat.

Imagine holding a buffer pad in one spot too long...;)

juniorbean 12-22-2003 11:15 AM

I don't use the full bra... just the hood portion, and that gets removed whenever it rains or when I wash the car.

I'm not sure if it says it right in the directions, but somewhere it's indicated that the bra should not get wet... and it should not be left on wet... and b/c of that I do not use the full bra since it's a pain to take on and off. The hood part, however, takes 35 seconds.

chef chris 12-22-2003 11:15 AM

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Think about this analogy. Ever go to the beach and get sand in your bathing suit? Ever try walking for a while without rinsing it out?

The salt and crap will rub the clear coat right off. Get the Xpel bra. I have it on my wife's Altima and it works really well.

Is that like the 3M deal Neil?

juniorbean 12-22-2003 11:15 AM

Originally posted by chris3240929
Is that like the 3M deal Neil?
Yes, 3M and Xpel are similar products :)

NSXNEXT 12-22-2003 11:45 AM

3M makes a product called Scotchgard paint protection film which is very similar to xpel.

greyjhu 12-22-2003 01:14 PM

Yeah, I've notieced that road salt and sand builds up around the clip i nthe wheel well. But other than that, I left my bra on all winter last year (taking it off weekly to wash my car) without any problems. The bra for the hood, however, deformed a bit causing slight bubbling along the front edge. My dealer replaced the bra at no charge. Nonetheless, I think the thick vinyle helps prevent significant damage to the car, and the ACURA OEM one looks pretty good-

Rock2534 12-22-2003 01:23 PM

I just get up real close and blast away with the high pressure hose, basically from all angles. I don't worry about trying to dry it, i just let it go. Once the mask comes off and it gets washed, it looks perfect. I don't worry about it, it just seems to turn out good. My tranny still works fine and my seats look like they are brand new. So i am just thankful it doesn't give me any trouble.

CLASSYCLS 12-22-2003 06:33 PM

SO basically if the bra cant get wet, then whats its purpose during the snowy months? when there is dry salt all over your car, etc...

Rock2534 12-23-2003 10:27 AM

let it get wet all winter long. If you have to remove it everytime it gets wet and dry it off, you shouldn't be driving it then anyways. Its a car, its made to get wet and dirty.