Is NOS Detectable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 05:58 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're right Ernie so right .How's that system and when do we get to check this thing out .Those pics look oh so sweet c'mon let's get a demo this thing ought to rock .Jens
Old 12-01-2001, 11:58 AM
TRELOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jens Heydel
So Trelos let me get this straight you want to know how to hide your nitrous right?Now if you come to me and say your window is broken I could honestly care less if you have fifty gallon drum of nitrous in the trunk and nozzles big enough to blow a hole through a concrete wall...
HAAAA

Ok man I'm not looking to intensionally blow my engine just my tranny. And I still want to know what would a 'knows-his-shit' mechanic look for if he were sniffing out NOS.

Well we've already discussed the plugs, as for the yellowing I've found a distributor in Canada that sells medical nitrous. Medical nitrous has no sulfur thus 'no yellowing'.

I plan on plumbing in respectable shots, 50-75. Not 125 like some other CLSer who I believe has also got headers too, and hopefuly a pressure reg. .

So tell me what do u know that I would fuck-up on and spill the beans. Well as long as I don't melt anything and don't blow anything then there would be no reason for the dealer to look inside the engine. Like I said tell me how u think I would fuck-up.

Tnx

TRELOS
Old 12-01-2001, 12:05 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
jen's it's very easy to hide it from you guys. For example. Most people who want to use nos on a warrantied car do a dry shot which screws into your intake. Simple enough put your stock intake on before you go. The wholes made from mounting the bottle in the trunk aren't very noticable....esp. if your trunk is filled w/ shit. Now about the yellow residue. I've taken down a few nitrous motors and never seen it. But i could be wrong.
Old 12-01-2001, 01:34 PM
TRELOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ghander
Now about the yellow residue. I've taken down a few nitrous motors and never seen it. But i could be wrong.
Supposably there is yellowing due to the sulfur that the manufacture adds to keep us from getting tore up off NOS. But I agree I nor anyone who has taken apart a nitrous engien has ever seen it.
Mabey it can only be seen by a black light and not by the naked eye. But then again that can be easly taken care of.

TRELOS
Old 12-01-2001, 01:47 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright well like I said I would look for all the usual stuff such as mysterious holes in the firewall holes in the floor of the trunk funky looking wiring holes in the manifold relays holes in the interior where you might have put the arming switch it would have to be an extraordinarily slow day before I go tearing an engine apart to see if maybe you ran nitrous through the car and smoked your trans.Sometimes though just a conversation with the customer with the right questions asked is all it takes to pin down the real cause of failure.For everything there is always a reason and it takes a pretty good poker player to avoid incriminating him/herself in some sort of way.We have like I said seen virtually every form of failure you can imagine and have seen all kinds of frankly very creative installations but they all leave trace of their existence in the car.Honestly I do not get a kick out of handing a customer bad news it is a bummer to have to go tell a customer that I know the truth and that warranty won't pay.If let's say you blow a motor up for whatever reason.This is as you know is a very unusual occurence and almost always guarantees close scrutiny not just by the dealer but also the people that work directly for the car company.The company wants to know why and will request all the replaced parts be returned to the company for further inspection.the reasons are obvious they want to know what went wrong and why.These people are engineers and they will tear apart the parts and soon enough the real reasons will become apparent as to wether it was a defect or another cause.If the cause was just a defective part then nothing further happens the warranty claim get's paid life is good and everybody is happy but if it is otherwise the sky is the limit.they won't pay us for the work and the parts we installed and now we have few options but to either write it off or go and persue the owner of the car for the money.This is not a good thing as you well know and it just get's plain old ugly.Like I said why not wait till the warranty is run out and then go and have the fun you will with the car.This is a luxury is a luxury sports coupe not really a race car .Bolt on stuff like headers cold air intakes with the proper safety equipment are highly unlikely to cause problems but nitrous is another matter entirely.It is your car and your choice the most I can do is ask you to choose wisely because in the end it may be you who will have to pay the price.I hope this explains my position in this and I am sorry if I sounded cocky but I am sure you can understand that although we try to do all we can to help customers in whatever way possible there are situations where even dealers with realistic attitude towards warranty related issues cannot help you.Jens