AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G CL (2001-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/)
-   -   No S60R for me......... (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/no-s60r-me-441359/)

Beltfed 06-27-2003 09:04 AM

No S60R for me.........

Basically the car came in and we ran #s on it, the lease sucks since the car is very limited (crappy rate) and with this being a NY lease through Chase the Bank Fee is $1k. If I told you the lease price, you would all fall off your seats. :scared:

Anyway, since I would have to buy the car....I'm not buying a first year Volvo with that fancy suspension and other possible issues. If I'm forced to buy a car, I would rather buy an S4 or an M3.

So, I'm either getting an S4 or an M3 (both would be 2004 models). All the options available on an M3 might get me into trouble though, car gets expensive.

Ideas? What would you go with at this point?

Black CL-S 4-Life 06-27-2003 09:06 AM

Damn that sux. Why not go with the new S4, I like it better than the Volvo and Bimmer.

hemants 06-27-2003 09:08 AM

G35 coupe

Bluto 06-27-2003 09:10 AM

Sorry to hear. What a bummer. :(

S4. Expecting the numbers to be as bad as the volvo, or just planning to buy it?

TypeSKid 06-27-2003 09:14 AM

So what. Suck it up and pay it. You yourself said it was limited production. ;)

Otherwise, just go over to the BMW dealership, and pick an '03 //M3 up.

it's a nice friday, good day to go get one.

Beltfed 06-27-2003 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Bluto
S4. Expecting the numbers to be as bad as the volvo, or just planning to buy it?
The German makes will be a better deal since the leases are put through their own bank (not like Chase, PNC, etc). Audi is starting to push balloon payments a bit, but BMW isn't.

Oh, no G35coupe or 350Z.....they are very nice (but enough people have them on this board). ;)

mantis23 06-27-2003 09:36 AM

STi?

Amoeba 06-27-2003 09:39 AM

Dont know if this makes a difference to you but if you get the M3 all service is free, including replacing rotors, brakes, and belts.

TL_Type_S 06-27-2003 09:39 AM

Went to check out a Volve S60R last night in Schaumburg... there were only TWO cars on the lot, and the saleman was already offering to negotiate the price down from MSRP..

basically, there is a lot of cheeseball plastic on the inside .. some cheesy rubber moldings around the windows .. and no nice exhaust tip finisher .. I'm going in next week to test drive it .. hopefully its performance will be a lot better

Beltfed 06-27-2003 09:49 AM

Originally posted by TL_Type_S
basically, there is a lot of cheeseball plastic on the inside
I agree some of the plastic isn't that great (like the center cupholder cover), but mostly its very high quality. There is lots of leather in the S60R. The doors are completely covered from top to bottom, seats, center armrest, top of gauge cluster, and of course the steering wheel/shift knob. Honestly, I don't think the M3 is any nicer to tell you the truth.

Even though I am not getting the car, I'm still very impressed with it for the amount of money that it costs. I took a demo out the other day and its fun, just wait until an upgraded ECU comes out.

I'm also very surprised the guy was willing to deal, there hasn't been one report of any discounting on the Volvo board.

No STis or Evos either......if I ever got one I would just buy it as a second car so I can mod the shit of it. :cool:

juniorbean 06-27-2003 09:49 AM

Damn beltfed.. that sucks... I was looking forward to you getting it :)

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the S4 or the M3 either... so good luck with your decision!! :)

mantis23 06-27-2003 09:57 AM

what are the basic numbers on the s60R?

HP, 0-60, 1/4, slalom?

Beltfed 06-27-2003 10:04 AM

Originally posted by mantis23
what are the basic numbers on the s60R?

HP, 0-60, 1/4, slalom?

Volvo claims 5.4sec to 60, but I don't believe it. The numbers seem to be falling in the 5.8sec category, 1/4 mile in 14.2-14.3sec at just about 100mph.

Thanks JB.......:cool:

Ray Khan 06-27-2003 10:22 AM

for a daily driver, I'd go S4, if you do driving schools, the S4 is a bit heavy, I'd go M3. Persoanlly I'd go for the S4 avant when it comes out. The handlign of the new Audi chasis is supposed to be very tight.

astro 06-27-2003 10:25 AM

s4 S4 S4 S4 S4!!!!!

too bad about the Volvo, but go with the Audi man.

ferizzo 06-27-2003 10:29 AM

S4. The car should be pretty reliable since it will be NA. Great car.

hemants 06-27-2003 10:33 AM

Yeah, S4 vs M3 I'd pick the S4 any day.

But you're talking a different price bracket than the S60R which is M3 performance at the price of a fully loaded 330. Giant killer for sure! I can only imagine what a chip would do to it.

Ray Khan 06-27-2003 10:33 AM

oh, and I believe the S4 will be available in a coupe form in 2004. The p-chopped spy pics I've seen look good. IT looks sorta like a Merc CLK. I've even heard they will tune the engine for 370 hp, so it can better compete with the lighter M3 in a straight line.

TL_Type_S 06-27-2003 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Beltfed
I agree some of the plastic isn't that great (like the center cupholder cover), but mostly its very high quality. There is lots of leather in the S60R. The doors are completely covered from top to bottom, seats, center armrest, top of gauge cluster, and of course the steering wheel/shift knob. Honestly, I don't think the M3 is any nicer to tell you the truth.

Even though I am not getting the car, I'm still very impressed with it for the amount of money that it costs. I took a demo out the other day and its fun, just wait until an upgraded ECU comes out.

I'm also very surprised the guy was willing to deal, there hasn't been one report of any discounting on the Volvo board.

No STis or Evos either......if I ever got one I would just buy it as a second car so I can mod the shit of it. :cool:

Call up the Schaumburg, IL Volvo Dealership (if you're interested) .. My buddy and I were very very surprised they were OFFERING to negotiate w/o even assessing whether I was interested in the car yet.

I gotta agree that the seats are spectacular.. a nice blend of luxury w/ that sporty grip...

The 18" are so much nicer in person .. the "R" calipers add a nice touch too since you can see so much of the rotor. Under the hood it seemed so clean and almost "fake" b/c everything was choreagraphed so well .. very clean layout, plenty of room in there. I liked the very wide and sturdy strut tower brace up front. I didn't like the fact that it shared so much w/ the regular S60 .. wish there was a bump in the hood or something to make it slightly more aggressive looking ..

It was $41,000 .. and he said that If I threw a figure out in the ballpark .. he'd take it into strong consideration .. so I was assuming like $39,000, etc.

That's lots of car for the money .. the torque comes on real soon as I noted on the manufacturer's spec sheet in the windo .. something like 1950-5100 rpms?? incredible

ferizzo 06-27-2003 10:37 AM

Originally posted by hemants
But you're talking a different price bracket than the S60R which is M3 performance at the price of a fully loaded 330. Giant killer for sure! I can only imagine what a chip would do to it.
I don't think its quite M3 performance is it? I don't know much about it but according to the numbers given by beltfed it didn't sound like it could touch the M3 (at least not a straight line). Looks good and sounds like its still pretty fast but maybe not quite M3/new S4 fast.

1SICKLEX 06-27-2003 10:50 AM

Beltfred, we had a meet at a C-class event at Atlanta Motor Speedway and while the C220, Hatchback and C280 left me very underwhelmed, the C32 is AWESOME! They did not let us drive but we were allowed to hot lap the cars with a professional driver. It was INCREDIBLE! I was Very, Very impressed with how the car held up, they had 3 C32s and basically for the 4 hours we were there, the cars were being driven as hard as possible the whole time there. The brakes were great.

They actually raced a M3 vs the C32 and even though I am skeptical the C32 won.

mantis23 06-27-2003 10:54 AM

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
the C32 is AWESOME! They did not let us drive but we were allowed to hot lap the cars with a professional driver. It was INCREDIBLE! I was Very, Very impressed with how the car held up, they had 3 C32s and basically for the 4 hours we were there, the cars were being driven as hard as possible the whole time there. The brakes were great.

They actually raced a M3 vs the C32 and even though I am skeptical the C32 won.

I went to the same thing a few weeks ago. I must agree, the c32 AMG blew my pants off.

Here is my vid from the test ride.
http://www.thefiresauce.com/vids/c32x.mpg

I was hella impressed by that lil car.

Beltfed 06-27-2003 10:56 AM

The C32 is no joke, they are fast as shit......I don't want an automatic though.

Performance wise, the S60R is not in the same category as an M3.

I like the S4 and I'm sure its going to be an awesome car. What I don't like is that it weighs 3,825 pounds and its weight distribution is horrible. That is F*ing heavy for a little 4 door like that.

Zapata 06-27-2003 10:58 AM

s4.....................

importtuner 06-27-2003 11:05 AM

You could say the same things with the S4 though. It's a new production car as is the Volvo. Man it sucks you're not getting the Volvo; but whats warranty for? I personally will get the Volvo, but if it were between the M3 and S4; I'll take the M3.
-Justin

Beltfed 06-27-2003 11:08 AM

Originally posted by importtuner
You could say the same things with the S4 though. It's a new production car as is the Volvo.
Not really though, the S4 doesn't have a fancy adjustable suspension and it has a bullet proof NA V8 (not a Turbo like the Volvo).

While both Audi and Volvo historically have similar resale values, the S4 will hold better than the S60R.

Anyway, I would most likely be able to lease the Audi (if I choose to go that route).

Jamz 06-27-2003 11:29 AM

I vote S4

Someday I'd like to own an A4, not that I want to leave the Acura family, but I've always liked that car.

JRock 06-27-2003 11:44 AM

Re: No S60R for me.........

Originally posted by Beltfed
Basically the car came in and we ran #s on it, the lease sucks since the car is very limited (crappy rate) and with this being a NY lease through Chase the Bank Fee is $1k. If I told you the lease price, you would all fall off your seats. :scared:

Anyway, since I would have to buy the car....I'm not buying a first year Volvo with that fancy suspension and other possible issues. If I'm forced to buy a car, I would rather buy an S4 or an M3.

So, I'm either getting an S4 or an M3 (both would be 2004 models). All the options available on an M3 might get me into trouble though, car gets expensive.

Ideas? What would you go with at this point?

Hey that sucks.

What would I do? Well I wouldn't own any of those cars, so I can't offer you any worthwhile advice. I'd keep the CLS as a daily driver and spend the money on a weekend fun car that I would mod the crap out of.

JRock 06-27-2003 11:52 AM

Even though being a C-class it looks kinda dinky, you gotta love how it's a 3.2L V6 like ours, supercharged from the factory at least as much as the Comptech S/C would supercharge our automatic CLS.

:(

Then again it costs $15k more and it's still just a C-class.

astro 06-27-2003 12:20 PM

S4!
:bandito:

Beltfed 06-27-2003 12:27 PM

Leaning toward the S4, but I don't know when the hell I would have it....the cars are being delayed due to an engine shortage.:rolleyes:

KCPreki11 06-27-2003 01:02 PM

M3.

SilverCL225hp 06-27-2003 01:12 PM

Get a four door, Audi S4.

Sarlacc 06-27-2003 01:17 PM

Sell your Viper too and get a M5 :) :) :)

Kidding, I say go with the M3 you will love yourself for it!

Ray Khan 06-27-2003 01:28 PM

I like the S4 and I'm sure its going to be an awesome car. What I don't like is that it weighs 3,825 pounds and its weight distribution is horrible. That is F*ing heavy for a little 4 door like that.
yeah, but unless you are on a road course, or driving to the limits of the car on the street (which most people don't and can't even though they think they can/do) who cares? The S4 will outhandle a lot of cars on the road and it's safe. If it were a lighter that would be great, but what it is is more of a jack of all trades kind of car. It's not quite the pure performance car the M3 is. I bet if you drive it you will be surpised how fun it is for a car that weight. It's not a big car so it will feel rather nimble for a car that heavy.

Originally posted by importtuner
well, the new chasis has been out for about a year and a half now, and the 4.2 liter V-8 isn't toally new. It's based on the belt driven 4.2 liter, but the new one has a chain and a shorter block to fit into the A4/S4 engine bay. I'd feel pretty confident picking up one of the first batch if I were ready to buy one. Again, I'd opt for the wagon for the practicality and stealth aspects.

1SICKLEX 06-27-2003 03:42 PM

JRock, if I recall the Comptech CL was 55k, for a CL. So I think 52k for a C-class doesn't sound half as dumb as that.

Dang, why don't they give us a 4-door M3, like the E36?

Pontiac GTO?

Chaptorial 06-27-2003 03:53 PM

Sorry to hear about the Volvo Beltfed. If i was you id'd go with the new S4. Two extra doors never hurt and overall that car looks sweeet.

purplehaze 06-27-2003 05:33 PM

Belt...u know wat i will tell u get.....!!;)
PH

thatguy 06-27-2003 05:45 PM

RS6.... or an S8.....

DISRUPTV 06-27-2003 07:21 PM

sup beltfed :cool:

sorry to see that the volvo didn't work out for you :( Good luck in ur rejuvenated car search;i sincerely hope u find something that makes u happy :)