No more rock chips - ClearBra

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more rock chips - ClearBra

After getting a dozen rock chips on one 2-hr stretch of gravelled road last winter I wanted some protection this year. These pictures show before and after (commercial) installation of a product called ClearBra. I got full protection - it covers the headlights, grill, fenders, hood and below the door crease. The picture titled Door1 shows a good close-up: ClearBra is on the fender but not on the door (above the crease). The stuff is about the thickness of two business cards.

http://community.webshots.com/album/23593763IFUxWsyfqn

This cost me $1200 but you can do as little as wanted - protecting just the first foot of the hood is $199. It has a very high gloss and they recommend not applying wax. If you are a Zaino fan this is likely not for you. At one angle under some conditions I can see a slight ripple in the finish but overall I like the result in gloss and protection.

The web site at ClearBra.net has more info. (ClearBra.com is a competing product from 3M).
Old 10-28-2001, 09:19 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

that is expensive...I got mine for $400 or $500 with everything you got except for the door thing.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:57 PM
Instructor

2Sxy4YoMama - I see in your signature you have X-Pel. Thats the competing product from 3M; this product is RGD film from a Canadian company. A friend of mine took his M5 to Salt Lake to get this RGD film put on (before there was a dealer in Portland) and he paid about the same as me. The question would be is this product worth $700 more in quality - I don't know. The guy with the M5 did a lot of research (I know he was concerned about yellowing) so I trusted his judgement on quality.
Old 10-28-2001, 11:01 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

it is all a 3M product or material with different design or patents, so basically it is all the same thing with different names and makers....x-pel,stoneguard and clear bra.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I just did the entire front and and sideskirts on my TL-S using Xpel front bumper which sux, X-pel Headlighst and Figs, and everything else was custom cut pieces for the body kit, hood, sideskirts, and fenders. They charge per square inch, and if he did the entire lower half of the door or rocker panels, then 1200 is not a bad price at all for all that material and the labor.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear

This is my first post on your forum, so I hope this isn't a protocol breech or anything serious like that, but 2Sxy4YoMama opines: "it is all a 3M product or material with different design or patents, so basically it is all the same thing with different names and makers....x-pel,stoneguard and clear bra." and I wanted to set the record straight on that point.

ClearBra(tm) is indeed different, being comprised of a 2 layer polyvinylchloride (PVC) material, bonded to the car's surfaces with a clear acrylic adhesive. Other brands are a single layer product, made of Urethane, which was designed for other purposes than abrasion resistance and protection.

ClearBra was specifically designed for abrasion resistance to be used on military helicopter rotor blades, which are made of composite materials and had to be replaced due to deterioration caused by abrasion from dust, stones, branches, etc. By using the ClearBra material, the life of the rotors was greatly extended. The material has been adapted for use on cars and other vehicles with a UV stablizer (Uvinol) added to help protect the material against the ravages of sunlight.

The combination of the two layer construction and the acrylic adhesive gives a long life product with great protection characteristics and great looks. Finally, ClearBra is further unique in that the material comes in widths up to 54" which lends itself to covering complete hoods, fenders, etc., with no seams! None of the others are capable of that (that I am aware of but I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong!).

Of course, I have a biased opinion, being the ClearBra of Oregon dealer. Sorry for the intrusion, but feel free to let me know if you have questions or comments.

Thanks!

Al Kinney
ClearBra of Oregon
Old 11-01-2001, 06:49 AM
Team Owner

I’ve always wondered what happens if a large enough object “hits” your hood the causes a rip in the protective covering.
Can that stuff be removed and/or replaced if it gets damaged without screwing up the paint?
I would imagine a small blemish would quickly collect dirt and air underneath and look like hell.
And what about U/V protection for the paint like a good fresh coat of wax provides?

Shawn S

PS....Love those Chrome rims on RED.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:36 AM
2nd Gear

Pretty interesting question, Shawn. The ClearBra material will take quite a bit of impact without damage. If you get hit with a glancing shot, that doesn't damage the underlying sheetmetal, it's unlikely the material would be 'ripped' but it could be. In most cases, the material will heal itself from minor damage, with the acrylic adhesive (which stays tacky) closing any wound. In those cases, there is no path for air or debris, so it's a non-issue.

In a case where something was strong enough to rip the material, it can be removed and replaced without damage to your paint, again because of the acrylic adhesive used. I guess the thing to remember, though, is if you were to take such a hit, it's better to have the material sacrifice itself and save your paint job!

Since ClearBra has UV protection built-in, it will protect your paint as well, if not better, than waxes. As a part of the installation process, we provide you with a sample of a product which is used to reinforce the UV characteristics of the ClearBra product while maintaining a nice, glossy finish. The product is readily available from numerous suppliers, and you simply spray it on and wipe it off about once every month or two, while you're doing your routine washing and waxing.

Regards

Al Kinney
ClearBra of Oregon
Old 11-01-2001, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Shawn - you are too kind. I've just looked at your pictures - very nice. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even wash my chrome wheels before taking these 'after clearbra' pictures and I washed the car with water - nevermind wax, I didn't even use soap. If PCOP (Proud CL Owners Police) show up at my door I will go quietly.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:20 PM
Adult Supervision

Made for Helicopter rotors!

So then it would protect my car if it began to spin in a 360 very fast?....okay, not so funny.

Would it protect my car if I was hit by a Helicopter rotor....
Old 11-01-2001, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Yeah, the next time I drive out into the desert and a helicopter lands nearby I'm just going to laugh and point and say "Come on, give it your best shot, fly-boy, rev that engine..."

Seriously, I do find myself driving down the highway, getting behind a truck thats throwing stuff up and feeling invincible. Last time that happened was when I test drove a Mercedes.