New Tranny fluid = New car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
New Tranny fluid = New car!

I know this is long so my Cliffnotes are underlined

I just got back from getting my Tranny flushed out and replaced with new fluid. This goes back to when my car was really jerky through the gears, and I thought it was the cold winter weather. I soon checked my Tranny Fluid level dipstick when the tranny started making a clicking noise. My tranny fluid was indeed low.

Also, I checked the owners manual. the ONLY time you should change out your entire Tranny fluid is at 90,000miles as the owners manual says. I just hit 88,500 so I though it was time.

For those that don't know, when you flush the tranny, only 3 quarts of about 7.5 quarts comes out. It is flushed 3x for example: You need to flush it, then drive through the gears to mix new and old oil, flush it again, drive through gears, flush again, and its done...or something of that effect. The garage knew just what to do. They also used the Acura synthetic Fluid, so I was good to go!

IM trying to be as informative as possible since I searched before I went and didn't find much here. I ended up paying $125.00 which i think is a steal compared to going to the Acura Dealer!!

And now, my car is SO smooth, it feels amazing!! I was very surprised, and this was worth every penny as I thought I would need a new tranny soon.

and so I'll leave you guys with this note: Tranny fluid should not be messed with!! Follow the Acura CL owner's manual which states to ONLY change the fluid every 90,000 miles and stay close to that. A moderator here added 3 quarts of tranny fluid every time he changed the engine oil!!! That is WAY too much and the tranny doesn't like that at all proven when he said that particular tranny lasted the least of all his trannies!! Adding fluid very often does NOT do anything and in fact makes things worse...

so anyone having tranny issues like i though i was should get the fluid changed out if they are close to 90,000 miles and you will be riding smooth! Also to check to see if you are low on fluid: Park on level ground [put it in nuetral to see if you are on flat ground], check yellow dipstick [very low and to the right when facing the engine bay], make sure car is ON when doing this, wipe off oil, put back in, take out again and see where your fluid level is. <--im sure we all know how to do that but what the hell. lol

hope this helps anyone w/ tranny problems as that is what I tried to do here.

Last edited by '01White3.2CL; 03-17-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tranny feels real rough sometimes so I might do this soon. Now did you spend $125 and you did the work?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Acura synthetic tranny fluid??? Thought honda only made ATF-z1. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. I plan on doing this myself when spring hits.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Racer

I paid 85 dollars at the acura dealership, I don't know why it cost you so much.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I got you beat.....I paid $75.00 at Pohanka Acura in NoVA/DC area! lol
Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
When do you need to change the M/T fluid?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM

ok so I just assumed that the Acura dealer would be more and IM the one that probably got ripped off! lol o well, but like i said worth every penny.

Not by myself, I went to a mechanic down my street. and Idk, the guy said synthetic fluid, blah, blah...he said he used the best stuff for Hondas...

and gnuts, just look in your owners manual? you do have one right?

and Anthracitebeast just check your fluid level sometime soon. Mine was low and added to the roughness, now its very smooth, i love it.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Oh and FYI, I am trying to do 1,000 break-in miles of slow, smooth driving to get my new fluid and my tranny to bond and become friends.

I set one Odometer reading to zero...or I could just do 3 fill ups at the gas station x ~333miles each...
Old 03-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
ok so I just assumed that the Acura dealer would be more and IM the one that probably got ripped off! lol o well, but like i said worth every penny.

Not by myself, I went to a mechanic down my street. and Idk, the guy said synthetic fluid, blah, blah...he said he used the best stuff for Hondas...

and gnuts, just look in your owners manual? you do have one right?

and Anthracitebeast just check your fluid level sometime soon. Mine was low and added to the roughness, now its very smooth, i love it.
Cool thanks

i dont think the previous owner ever did it
Old 03-17-2009, 05:28 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Acura DLR charged me $89.00 to flush 3 and add 3 for 2001 CL-s
and the charged me $69.00 to flush 3 and add 3 for my girls 2005 TL.

I dont know why but didnt bother asking cuz i told my girl it was gonna be $90! I would change 3 quarts every 20-30k like I do!

I would also do it myself, I did mine and my girls since that time I let ACURA do and it was easier then a oil change! All it costed was $21 for the fluid and $3 for 2 crush washers!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by StonedCL
The Acura DLR charged me $89.00 to flush 3 and add 3 for 2001 CL-s
I would change 3 quarts every 20-30k like I do!
so i did get ripped off, damn it, but still i think 125 is worth it.

and im not sure if it is equivalent then, but would changing 3 quarts every 30k be the same as flushing out 3 quarts 3 consecutive times all on one day at 90k?? since by your 3rd flush [each one at every 30k], you would then have close to 90k.

either way w/e works, but dont change it more than that.

Last edited by '01White3.2CL; 03-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
oh gosh.
we have glass trannies. If you wait 90k to change your fluid, thats too long. I flushed out my system with a 3x3 and im doing a change every 2 years or 30k-ish.
why? cause new fluid is better then old. are you gonna wait another 90k to touch the tranny fluid again?
also, you should have never let the tranny fluid get low. that may have been why it was jerky.
and to the person that mentioned Z1, yes that is true. That is the type of ATF in all honda/acura ATF bottles and the only stuff you should put in there. multi-vehicle ATF can also be used as you can see, it is ok for honda trannies.

if you need to know anymore about the trannies/tranny fluid as me. not to hate on anybody, but you guys havent been on here very long/posted very much.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:08 PM

oops, i better go to mechanic school before posting here again.

oh and guys, the Acura owners manual probably goes void as soon as the warranty does.

oops...

anyway changing your tranny fluid constantly is not good at all = fact! and yes, when it goes low, you should definitely change it...like i did.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

where did you hear that? changing any fluid at a faster interval has no negative impacts on your car.
and when it goes low, you dont need to change it. it should have never gone low. You should check the levels at least every oil change.

i never went to a technicial school but im guessing, since you said the dealer used synthetic Acura ATF, that you dont know much about ATF, our ATF or our trannies.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
There's no harm to changing your transmission fluid more often. While it may not be needed, it certainly will not accelerate transmission failure. Contrary to popular belief, changing your fluid will not accelerate transmission failure, even if the fluid was well overdue for a change. I confirmed this with a friend who is a fluid engineer at GM.

In addition, the Honda ATF-Z1 fluid is not synthetic. It is a petroleum based oil with a Honda specific additive package. While they are not Honda approved, there are also multi-vehicle fluids on the market that have been bench and field tested extensively in Honda vehicles by major additive companies (e.g. Lubrizol and Infineum) and have proven to work fine.

Acura recommends the first transmission fluid change at 60k for severe service, then every 30k thereafter. For normal service it's 120k, then every 90k thereafter. For routine maintenance, the service manual recommends draining and refilling the fluid once. If the unit has been contaminated with the wrong fluid, then the owner's manual recommends draining and refilling the unit three times as a "flush" to remove as much of the wrong fluid as possible.

Personally, I service my transmissions at about 60k. I prefer doing a complete fluid change even if it is not required. Draining and refilling three times or performing a line flush (make sure you clean the magnetic plug) doing a good job of changing as much of the fluid as possible.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Is a chargin mah lazar in

I got my 2nd tranny put in at around 69k miles, I'm at 86k now, I'm assuming this was already done when putting in the new tranny?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Onese1f
I got my 2nd tranny put in at around 69k miles, I'm at 86k now, I'm assuming this was already done when putting in the new tranny?
After they rebuild the transmission at the plant, they have to fill it with new fluid and dyno test it. When the transmission is installed into your car at the dealer, the fluid is also topped off. So yes, you got new fluid with the rebuilt transmission.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Sodaluvr. What multi vehicle ATF would you recommend then that has those additives?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

just look for multi-vehicle ATF. on the back they should have certifications/recommendations that says what its compatible with. Your looking for Honda ATF-Z1

I know mobil and castrol's import multi-vehicle ATF is good to use.

Last edited by aznboi2424; 03-17-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ironballs
Sodaluvr. What multi vehicle ATF would you recommend then that has those additives?
http://www.lubrizol.com/products/ATF...spotlights.asp

Lubrizol is one of the largest additive producers in the world. The Lubrizol 9680 and 9684 are the two multi-vehicle additives that they sell. They used to have more info about them on the website, but they have since taken the info down, but I still have the files.

Blenders (e.g. Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, etc) are not going to say who's additive package they are using, so it's impossible to confirm. I do know that Valvoline does work closely with Lubrizol for some of their other products. However, I think it's safe to say that most of these multi-vehicle transmission fluids are probably using an additive package from Lubrizol as Lubrizol is the biggest proponent of this stuff.

These are some multi-vehicle fluids that claim ATF-Z1 compatibility:

Valvoline Maxlife ATF
Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF
Amsoil ATF (confirmed that this one does use a custom additive package from Lubrizol)
Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF (new formula)
Old 03-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Awesome thanks for the info Sodaluvr. If I decide to use one of the alternatives. Is it okay for it to mix with honda ATF or should I do a full 3step flush so that it's mostly just the alternative fluid?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ironballs
Awesome thanks for the info Sodaluvr. If I decide to use one of the alternatives. Is it okay for it to mix with honda ATF or should I do a full 3step flush so that it's mostly just the alternative fluid?
Always best to do a full flush, but they should mix just fine.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Instructor

cool
Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
that new car feel won't last long.......if your trans has problems with shifting, new fluid only hides the problem for a short time.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:34 PM

it never had problems with shifting...it only jerked into second about 1 in 10 times, and made a very slight noise only someone who cares about their car would hear...my Transmission is fine and now, It is smooth as ever!

Thanks for all the info guys, and I do stand corrected. I just wanted to provide a go-to thread on this subject, and thanks to all of the input, I think I succeeded. Thanks again for all info as I am no pro!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Racer

Does anybody's car sound like its taking off throughout every gear? Its the best way I can describe it. also shifting through every gear, does your guys' car dip forward a little then push you back lightly? On my daewoo if you were driving in low rpm's you would not know it was shifting gears, im guessing its because i now have a car with torque? XD
Old 03-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Suzuka Master

it never had problems with shifting...it only jerked into second about 1 in 10 times, and made a very slight noise only someone who cares about their car would hear...my Transmission is fine and now, It is smooth as ever!

Thanks for all the info guys, and I do stand corrected. I just wanted to provide a go-to thread on this subject, and thanks to all of the input, I think I succeeded. Thanks again for all info as I am no pro!
no problem dude. I just wanted to help and contribute my knowledge. I see a lot of relative s in here and wanted them to get the correct info.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by blackasscls
Does anybody's car sound like its taking off throughout every gear? Its the best way I can describe it. also shifting through every gear, does your guys' car dip forward a little then push you back lightly? On my daewoo if you were driving in low rpm's you would not know it was shifting gears, im guessing its because i now have a car with torque? XD
if i understand what you are saying correctly, this sounds normal. I've driven a 2001 BMW 325i w/ its tiptronic and, even tho both that car and mine are 2001's, the BMW shifted much faster! W/ that being said, our CL's require a tiny bit more "milliseconds" to shift, and you are probably feeling the car go into nuetral, then engage the gear [which happens very fast, but it can still be felt if paying attention].

And yes you have more torque than a Daewoo in the lower end, but the CL's J32A1 [CL-P] and J32A2 [CL-S], both w/ VTEC, are set up for Top End. We have "low" amounts of torque under 3000RPM. From there, your Type-S [J32A2 engine] should gain torque as the actuator kicks in @ 3000RPM and then VTEC soon hits at ~4800RPM. W/ the CL-Pers [J32A1 engine], we dont have the actuator but our VTEC comes at 4400RPM, and there is a bit more torque coming at 3000RPM as well. [sorry i forgot the name for that actuator...]

Unfortunately, I don't have the 'torque to RPM' graphs to be more clear, but trust me.

and yes aznboi2424, too many newbs, too little time...lol
Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Racer

if i understand what you are saying correctly, this sounds normal. I've driven a 2001 BMW 325i w/ its tiptronic and, even tho both that car and mine are 2001's, the BMW shifted much faster! W/ that being said, our CL's require a tiny bit more "milliseconds" to shift, and you are probably feeling the car go into nuetral, then engage the gear [which happens very fast, but it can still be felt if paying attention].

And yes you have more torque than a Daewoo in the lower end, but the CL's J32A1 [CL-P] and J32A2 [CL-S], both w/ VTEC, are set up for Top End. We have "low" amounts of torque under 3000RPM. From there, your Type-S [J32A2 engine] should gain torque as the actuator kicks in @ 3000RPM and then VTEC soon hits at ~4800RPM. W/ the CL-Pers [J32A1 engine], we dont have the actuator but our VTEC comes at 4400RPM, and there is a bit more torque coming at 3000RPM as well. [sorry i forgot the name for that actuator...]

Unfortunately, I don't have the 'torque to RPM' graphs to be more clear, but trust me.

and yes aznboi2424, too many newbs, too little time...lol
Good info, sounds like i dont have anything to worry about. I usually drive in the 2k rpm range just because i want to preserve the car but if i have reason to go fast this car handles it well......good deal
Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

According to Acura, the max torque numbers are as follows:
CL-P (J32A1): 217 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm
CL Type S (J32A2): 232 lb.-ft. @ 3500-5500 rpm

Type S guys have a flat torque curve that is helped maintained by the actuator and its engagement point is 3800 RPM not 3000.

also regarding the VTEC engagement points, this was taken from the 2G CL FAQ thread:
Type S (J32A2): 4800 RPM
Type P (J32A1): 5500 RPM

You got it right that the type-s gets VTEC at 4800 RPM but the CL-P gets it at 5500 RPM not 4400 RPM
Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 PM

this has been discussed before, and it IS 4400RPM for J32A1 [I mean i drive my car in tiptronic everyday, I'd know]. No one corrected it before, but it has been verified a couple times in random places...But its really not a big deal, so not worth an argument, so ill just enjoy my 4400RPM VTEC engagment point...

and i got the 3000RPM number for IMRC actuator from a member who was going to tune a S/C'ed 6speed...so either way its in the 3000's. doesn't matter for my Cl-P anyway. again, not worth arguing plus i could be wrong either way.

IMRC is that actuator's name i believe...

Last edited by '01White3.2CL; 03-18-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
So if the fluid is a lil brown, i should change it or do a flush, i flushed it back when i had 89k about 2.5 yrs ago, now im at 106k. Thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Racer

this has been discussed before, and it IS 4400RPM for J32A1 [I mean i drive my car in tiptronic everyday, I'd know]. No one corrected it before, but it has been verified a couple times in random places...But its really not a big deal, so not worth an argument, so ill just enjoy my 4400RPM VTEC engagment point...

and i got the 3000RPM number for IMRC actuator from a member who was going to tune a S/C'ed 6speed...so either way its in the 3000's. doesn't matter for my Cl-P anyway. again, not worth arguing plus i could be wrong either way.

IMRC is that actuator's name i believe...
I'm gonna 2nd that the changeover is at 4400 with a cl-p, the change in tone is clear as day. Maybe 4500 when the switch actualy happens, but it cant take till 5500.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:56 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Speaking of all this fluid changing, what does everyone think about installing a B&M tranny cooler or comptech tranny cooler? Will cooler ATF help or trannies run longer?
I have 65K on my newest tranny and dont know if its worth putting a cooler in it!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by StonedCL
Speaking of all this fluid changing, what does everyone think about installing a B&M tranny cooler or comptech tranny cooler? Will cooler ATF help or trannies run longer?
I have 65K on my newest tranny and dont know if its worth putting a cooler in it!
A cooler will help, but wont elminate the problem completely. The problem lies within the design of our trannies and the clutch packs.

Originally Posted by Garkon
I'm gonna 2nd that the changeover is at 4400 with a cl-p, the change in tone is clear as day. Maybe 4500 when the switch actualy happens, but it cant take till 5500.
my mistake guys. I just got the info from the 2G CL thread.

Originally Posted by LUTHOR-CL
So if the fluid is a lil brown, i should change it or do a flush, i flushed it back when i had 89k about 2.5 yrs ago, now im at 106k. Thanks
A change would be just fine, no need to do a flush.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
where do you guys dispose of the old fluid?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

when i got it done, it was at my school's autoshop. I guess i'll take it to a local shop. I disposed of some coolant there before too.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Your mom is in

I have a cooler for sale in the BM, let me know
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Advanced

if you want to treat your tranny right do a flush and buy a tranny cooler. it will love you i did my full flush 7qts with red line high temp atf as recommended by comptech and a comptech tranny cooler and my tranny feels better than i when i first bought it.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
if i do a change, should i get the transmission kit, like buy the new seal, and filter, but 4 quarts of transmission oil and buy 1 lucas transmission oil?
how much are they? thanks

Quick Reply: New Tranny fluid = New car!