New ride - wanta lower it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001 | 12:20 PM
Intermediate

New ride - wanta lower it!

Hello all, I've been a visitor to this site for about the past 5 months or so. I just traded in my black 98 3.0CL on a new red Type-S (no navi) two days ago. I love my new car but the one thing I want to do to it is reduce that damn wheel-well gap! I've seen a lot of pics on this site of peoples rides with comptech springs - I really like the look of them! I know that this topic has been discussed here before but I haven't been able to compile the answers to all my questions. I was hoping someone out there could help. Here they are:

1. Will the springs affect the VSA? If so, how?
2. Can I keep my stock shocks or do I need to upgrade?
3. Will the wheels require an alignment after the install? Is a camber kit required?
4. Is this something you would recommend having the Acura dealer install – will my warranty be in jeopardy if I go someplace else?
5. Does anyone know approx. what a dealer would charge for this work?
6. Where can I get the best price on a set of Comptech springs?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2001 | 12:42 PM
Pro

well, my opinion is as follows and i am not a installer or engineer or anything, shit a 20 year old :

2. yes, eventually you will need to get new "performance shocks" as the factory shocks were made for the factory springs. the lowered spring rate is a lotta wear and tear on the factory shocks and they weren't designed for all that stress. they will give out. Its more money for the shocks but its better you do it right the first time.

3. yes, you would need to align your car. any modification done to your suspension you will need an alignment. you will see your tires wearing out un-evenly within a year, depending on how low you go. camber kit depends also on how low you go, the lower you go the harder it will be to correct.

4. i dont think you warranty will be in jeopardy if you keep the lower at a reasonable height. Remember, the short the spring the much harsher the ride will be and the harder it is on all the components on your car, especially the suspension.

5. the dealer would charge an arm and a leg but you probably get a lot more professionalism vs. the "car shack" @ your corner street. however, there are some "performance shops" that are just as professional but they are hard to find.

------------------
Future "bucket": 96-99 GST/GSX or 93-99 Prelude w/ bolt on turbo
Previous ride: '01 CL-S, Black, dropped 2 in....couldn't make da payments
Old 06-18-2001 | 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Dyno_CL-S!

Anyone else out there with input?? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 06-18-2001 | 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bmbCLS:

1. Will the springs affect the VSA? If so, how?
</font>
Nope. I've not heard a single issue with Comptech springs and VSA.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
2. Can I keep my stock shocks or do I need to upgrade?
</font>
I've had them since early Christmas and I've noticed not a scintilla of ride quality firmness that wasn't already there upon the day of install. In fact the day of install the car seemed at its stiffest but that seems natural after the boaty quality of the ride up until then. I CANNOT remember the ride being as soft as now. One tends to forget the extra firmness. (Also the sways may have tightened things up a bit)

3. Will the wheels require an alignment after the install? Is a camber kit required?
</font>
YES YES YES! I'd not wait to long either.
As for the camber kid, well so far all is well with my tires but I've had them rotated a time more often. Coilovers would be nice.

4. Is this something you would recommend having the Acura dealer install – will my warranty be in jeopardy if I go someplace else?
</font>
Not sure what you mean about the dealer installing but hey, save the time and have the sways installed at the same time. I'd get the sways BEFORE the springs but I'm happy with both. As for your warranty, well if you go to the local lobotomized one-handed epileptic mechanic acquaintance usually named "uncle lysergic" or "Butch" than maybe your warranty might be a concern. The dealership I used did the springs/sways and alignment for about $350. And it was done right from the git! (Thanks Jens)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">5. Does anyone know approx. what a dealer would charge for this work?
</font>
See above. Mine is Park Avenue Acura

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">6. Where can I get the best price on a set of Comptech springs?</font>
Still at http://www.autocarparts.com

Good Luck!

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
17x7.5 BBS RX Rims
K&N Dropin AF
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim